The Student Room Group

Postgraduate study in Latin America

I am about to enter my final year at University (PPE at Oxford), and I am considering trying to do post-graduate study in Latin America. The aim would be principally to improve my Spanish and to experience a different culture, although the academic stimulation would also be very positive.

I have looked everywhere for information on universities/scholarships etc.; there is not much available at all and I would be tremendously grateful for any advice on good unis to go to/sources of funding for foreign students. Are Argentina and Mexico the best options? or would somewhere like Chile or Colombia be worth a try?

Thank you so much.

Matthew
Reply 1
The Universidad Torcuato di Tela in Buenos Aires has a very good reputation both in Argentina and internationally for social sciences, particularly Economics. It has exchange partnerships with Sciences Po and other well know universities around the world. It is a private university so you wont have to put up with constant strike action and underfunding that plagues the public universities in Latin America - it still wont be too expensive though once you convert the pesos into GBP. You can review the available programmes of study at http://www.utdt.edu/
Reply 2
Mmm, Mexico and Brasil are the best options, but since you don't want to learn portuguese, I'd said Mexico, Argentina or Chile. It really depends on what you want to study.
Reply 3
I studied at Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile... Also has a very good reputation, particularly the School of Architecture and School of Economics (the latter I think because it has had some very strong ties to the economist Milton Friedman in the past).

Latest