The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
PauloG.
For three years, since then my self-esteem is doomed.

Why should it be? If anyone cusses you, say to them, at least I am doing something about my teeth. In this world perfection is non-existent. It is very vile that the media promotes this so called perfection and that it will make you happy in life. It is infact detrimental to the health of people, particularly young people who believe anything they see because they are indoctrinated by the media. It is disgusting, but it is the harsh reality of waht we live in.
I was told about two years and I think in the end it was roughly that. But I also had a retainer for 2ish years and 4 teeth out before hand :frown:
But theres one tooth that has moved back and I've seen a bit of movement in my other teeth, but its my fault for not wearing my retainer. So annoyed with myself to go through years of orthodontics and not wear the retainer cause it hurt a bit.
Reply 42
kashim91
Why should it be? If anyone cusses you, say to them, at least I am doing something about my teeth. In this world perfection is non-existent. It is very vile that the media promotes this so called perfection and that it will make you happy in life. It is infact detrimental to the health of people, particularly young people who believe anything they see because they are indoctrinated by the media. It is disgusting, but it is the harsh reality of waht we live in.

I know, it's easy to think all that when we are from the outside but when you see yourself in this kind of situation every single day for three years you start thinking that you could be somehow better if you hadn't those braces, plus it's really not that nice to eat with them, is it?
Reply 43
was told 18 months but lasted 3 years.
they really suck so keep battelling through and the best piece of advice i can give you is to wear your retainer afterwards.
:smile: keep going
Reply 44
PauloG.
I know, it's easy to think all that when we are from the outside but when you see yourself in this kind of situation every single day for three years you start thinking that you could be somehow better if you hadn't those braces, plus it's really not that nice to eat with them, is it?

No your right. I'm having braces myself. But I've had mates who have had them, and it didn't seem to bad for them. My sister had them, she didn't complain much. I was just trying to give you a moral boost that's all
Reply 45
kashim91
No your right. I'm having braces myself. But I've had mates who have had them, and it didn't seem to bad for them. My sister had them, she didn't complain much. I was just trying to give you a moral boost that's all

Ahah thanks but I don't have it anymore but while I had I was never much bothered with it and I would even talk about it with my friends with no problems at all, thing is it might have affected my self-esteem in a sub-conscious level, who knows.
Reply 46
i think it was 18 months? don't totally remember, but it was what they said it would at the beginning. i then had retainer for 6 months but hardly wore it so my teeth went slipped back to what they were a bit :s-smilie: oops!
Reply 47
I had perfect teeth until I was 16 when I got headbutted, I ended up having a brace for about 2 years. It was embarrassing going to clubs with a load of metal in my mouth. I didn't wear my retainer and now the bottom ones are wonky.

It's a great feeling when you first get them off though.
Reply 48
I was originally supposed to have them for 18 months, but the hospital admin staff kept messing me around with appointments so I haven't had one since February. Thankfully my next is a week tomorrow, but now there's virtually no chance of me having them off before uni - I'm already certain I'll be the youngest on my course, so a full set of braces aren't going to make it any less obvious!
Reply 49
PauloG.
Ahah thanks but I don't have it anymore but while I had I was never much bothered with it and I would even talk about it with my friends with no problems at all, thing is it might have affected my self-esteem in a sub-conscious level, who knows.

That's the thing that's wrong with people. When they play what if games, they play negative ones. You know what, I was bullied, and at the time, people who had braces, were not for one time called brace face. This guy, he used to talk funny, yet no one said nothing to him. The thing about the bullying is that although I had a horrible time, I became much stronger. After I started to bite back, people started to respect me. If you want to play hypothetical, be positive.
kashim91

I hate having them in because they make me look way younger and I already look young because of my height, I'm constantly thinking "smile with your mouth CLOSED" and I'm always paranoid that I've got food stuck in them :frown:

If I could have them off right now, I would, despite the fact I'd be left with two gaps either side at the front, lol.
Reply 51
missaphrodite
I hate having them in because they make me look way younger and I already look young because of my height, I'm constantly thinking "smile with your mouth CLOSED" and I'm always paranoid that I've got food stuck in them :frown:

If I could have them off right now, I would, despite the fact I'd be left with two gaps either side at the front, lol.

Ohw well, it's all done for the best isn't it? I think its seen with better eyes in girls though so I guess you'll be just fine!

On a side note, if you are the girl from the picture of your profile you are rather cute so I wouldn't bother much about the braces at all :yes:
PauloG.
Ohw well, it's all done for the best isn't it? I think its seen with better eyes in girls though so I guess you'll be just fine!

On a side note, if you are the girl from the picture of your profile you are rather cute so I wouldn't bother much about the braces at all :yes:

Haha, why thank you :p:
Reply 53
missaphrodite
Haha, why thank you :p:

Plus you like cinema and Natalie Portman so who cares about braces :mmm:

On-topic: Nobody here used braces with colors, right?
Reply 54
They told me 18 months.

I got them off after 12 and given a retainer. :smile:
I've had mine on for 6 months now and i've been told two years. But i cant see that being the case as i've only got a minor problem.. more vanity then a real NEED for braces. They've moved loads already i was really suprised just how much.

He says i'll need 4 teeth out :s-smilie: is having your teeth pulled out really as bad as they make it out to be ?

xxx
Reply 56
steph_anie_x
I've had mine on for 6 months now and i've been told two years. But i cant see that being the case as i've only got a minor problem.. more vanity then a real NEED for braces. They've moved loads already i was really suprised just how much.

He says i'll need 4 teeth out :s-smilie: is having your teeth pulled out really as bad as they make it out to be ?

xxx

Nah it's not that bad (although depends how tolerant to pain/squeamish or whatever might affect these things you are). I've had 5 normal teeth and 2 wisdom teeth out and it was never really as bad as I thought it was going to be, especially if they just do it in the dentist chair.

To answer the original question...I had mine for about 3 years in which time I also had jaw surgery...it was SO worth it though.
Reply 57
I had braces for two years. I had them off nearly 5 years ago so I really can't remember the estimated time I was given. It's worth it though.

steph_anie_x

xxx

It's not that bad. I had 4 out when I was 12 so that I could have braces put on. You don't feel anything, the dentist just grips the tooth and wiggles it around and then it's out. Most things are better than you expect them to be :smile:
It's not that bad. I had 4 out when I was 12 so that I could have braces put on. You don't feel anything, the dentist just grips the tooth and wiggles it around and then it's out. Most things are better than you expect them to be :smile:

I hope so , still scary thinking about it haha. How long did it take for your teeth to move and the gaps to go ?

x
Reply 59
got mine on feb, still have them! dont have a notion when im getting them off, and my orthodontist is going on maturnity leave soon :s-smilie:

Latest