The Student Room Group

Medics and Applicants Profiles: Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Phalanges
A lack of research and a slight chance of possible credibility does not change the fact that you were talking ****.

Maybe its just all us Oxbridge medics are inferior to this guy and are just in denial at the fact that they will be superior clinicians to us-FACT! :rolleyes:
It could be lupus
Maybe its just all us Oxbridge medics are inferior to this guy and are just in denial at the fact that they will be superior clinicians to us-FACT! :rolleyes:

Perhaps. After all it's obvious that the only reason we chose Oxford or Cambridge was the fact that we're prestige obsessed posh gits more interested in research than practising clinically anyway... why else would we come here?
Phalanges
Perhaps. After all it's obvious that the only reason we chose Oxford or Cambridge was the fact that we're prestige obsessed posh gits more interested in research than practising clinically anyway... why else would we come here?

:lol: obviously. Could you imagine going to any other university? I would feel ashamed :p: :rolleyes:
It could be lupus
:lol: obviously. Could you imagine going to any other university? I would feel ashamed :p: :rolleyes:

God no. I heard that at some medical schools you actually have to meet patients! I don't want to have to talk to anyone who's sick and poor!
Phalanges
God no. I heard that at some medical schools you actually have to meet patients! I don't want to have to talk to anyone who's sick and poor!

To be honest I think that we most definitely could not meet patients. What if they were not upper class?!?! I think I would drop with shock :p:
A little childish to be giving negative rep and not leaving your name, just becuase I offended you and your medical school.
vas876
A little childish to be giving negative rep and not leaving your name, just becuase I offended you and your medical school.

Well you presented a random opinion with no justification whatsoever.
vas876

It is very presumptuous that it was me who gave you the negative rep.
Reply 188
t3h_y0u553f
Well you presented a random opinion with no justification whatsoever.

Latin A Level + Medicine.. Just too cool :cool: :wink:
Sarah182

Try telling my mum and sister that... :rolleyes:

They take the piss at every opportunity.

(about the latin bit not medicine)
Ignoramus
Year of Entry: 2010
Deferred?: No
GCSEs: 13A* 1A
AS Grades: AAA (Physics, Chemistry, Latin in Year 11), AAA (Biology, Maths, Music in Year 12)
A2 Prediction/Results: Achieved AAA (Physics, Chemistry, Latin in Year 12), Predicted AAAa (Biology, Maths, Music, Further Maths AS)
Previous Degree (if applicable): n/a
UKCAT (if applicable): 762.5 (700, 850, 730, 770)
BMAT (if applicable): 5.7, 6.5, 9.0

Work Experience/Volunteering:
1 week in Accident and Emergency
1 week in Opthalmology
Weekly volunteering in a nursing home (started this in September and continued until December)

Extra Curricular:
Self taught guitarist
Music grades (8 piano, 8 flute, doing 8 saxophone), youth orchestra, school bands and choirs etc.
Vocal coach for school musical
Direct local church choir
Play organ for weddings and funerals (saturday job)
Debating society, competitions etc.
Academic interests in neuroscience, neuropsychaiatry, medical ethics

Universities applied to and decisions:
Oxford (Keble): Offer ACC with A in Biology - FIRM
University College London: Offer A in Biology
King's College London: Offer A in Biology
Imperial College London: Offer AAAC (any order) in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Music - INSURANCE
University College London (Neuroscience): Withdrawn

:eek3: are you sure you a real applicant? haha
Reply 191
Ignoramus
GCSEs: 13A* 1A
AS Grades: AAA (Physics, Chemistry, Latin in Year 11), AAA (Biology, Maths, Music in Year 12)
A2 Prediction/Results: Achieved AAA (Physics, Chemistry, Latin in Year 12), Predicted AAAa (Biology, Maths, Music, Further Maths AS)
Previous Degree (if applicable): n/a
UKCAT (if applicable): 762.5 (700, 850, 730, 770)
BMAT (if applicable): 5.7, 6.5, 9.0

1 week in Accident and Emergency
1 week in Opthalmology
Weekly volunteering in a nursing home (started this in September and continued until December)

Extra Curricular:
Self taught guitarist
Music grades (8 piano, 8 flute, doing 8 saxophone), youth orchestra, school bands and choirs etc.
Vocal coach for school musical
Direct local church choir
Play organ for weddings and funerals (saturday job)
Debating society, competitions etc.
Academic interests in neuroscience, neuropsychaiatry, medical ethics

Oxford (Keble): Offer ACC with A in Biology - FIRM
University College London: Offer A in Biology
King's College London: Offer A in Biology
Imperial College London: Offer AAAC (any order) in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Music - INSURANCE
University College London (Neuroscience): Withdrawn

:party: congrats! :biggrin:
GCSEs: A*, 8 As
AS Grades: AABC in Biology, Physics, Chemistry and German
A2 Prediction/Results: AAB in Biology, Physics and Chemistry

UKCAT (if applicable): Average 670
Verbal 610
Quantative 660
Abstract 640
Decision Analysis 770

6 months on hospital ward
6 months with local hospice
2 week surgery sit ins at local hospital
after hours GP receptionist job
Extra Curricular: Hockey(1st XI), Swimming (Cheshire), Piano (Grade 6), Saxophone (Grade 5), Violin (Grade 3) also Rowing (Rowed the Channel for local hospice in summer 09), Biology research project into Multiple Sclerosis and Physics award for 'Bosch Technology Horizons' essay.

UCAS 2009/10
Sheffield (A100) no idea:confused:
Peninsula (A100) Rejected
Keele (A100) Rejected (:eek:)
Hull/York (A100) Rejected
Leeds (B100) Conditional AAB
Reply 193
alexeyre08
GCSEs: A*, 8 As
AS Grades: AABC in Biology, Physics, Chemistry and German
A2 Prediction/Results: AAB in Biology, Physics and Chemistry

UKCAT (if applicable): Average 670
Verbal 610
Quantative 660
Abstract 640
Decision Analysis 770

6 months on hospital ward
6 months with local hospice
2 week surgery sit ins at local hospital
after hours GP receptionist job
Extra Curricular: Hockey(1st XI), Swimming (Cheshire), Piano (Grade 6), Saxophone (Grade 5), Violin (Grade 3) also Rowing (Rowed the Channel for local hospice in summer 09), Biology research project into Multiple Sclerosis and Physics award for 'Bosch Technology Horizons' essay.

UCAS 2009/10
Sheffield (A100) no idea
Peninsula (A100) Rejected
Keele (A100) Rejected ()
Hull/York (A100) Rejected
Leeds (B100) Conditional AAB

I've removed this post from the profiles thread as it's only for profiles of people who have received decisions from ALL the places they applied - you appear to still be waiting for a decision from Sheffield so please post this in the profiles thread once you've received that decision as it will be very useful to add to the medical school lists then.
Sarah182

:yes:
Sarah182
:party: congrats! :biggrin:

Thanks! :biggrin:

overclocked
:eek3: are you sure you a real applicant? haha

:p: :biggrin:
Ignoramus
Thanks! :biggrin:

:p: :biggrin:

tutut I would have expected a 9 9 15 BMAT to top it off :p: jokesjokes!
I can only match your grades at GCSE but otherwise you are an insane applicant :eek3:

Congrats:smile:
overclocked
tutut I would have expected a 9 9 15 BMAT to top it off :p: jokesjokes!
I can only match your grades at GCSE but otherwise you are an insane applicant :eek3:

Congrats:smile:

Heh, thanks! :smile:
diamondsky99
Sorry this is a little old, but hopefully still relevant...

Year of Entry: 2008
GCSEs 7A* 2A + Additional Maths (B) + A level General Studies (A) by the end of yr 11.
AS Grades: AAAAA (Maths, Chem, Bio, Physchology, Extended Project)
A2 Prediction/Results: AAA + A (if you include the yr 11 Gen Stud) (Bio, Chem, Maths)
Previous Degree (if applicable): N/A
UKCAT (if applicable): 655ish average
BMAT (if applicable): N/A
Work experience/Volunteering: 2yrs as assistant receptionist at a dental practice, St John Ambulance 400hrs on duty & various qualifications, charity shop work, Scholarship for study in Medicine at my 6th form, Medsim & Medlink, weeks experience in a hospital, National Blood Service rep.
Extra Curricular: St John Ambulance (cadet of the year) for 4 years, Swimming (inc charity swims & more competitive), Badminton, RSPB member, 'Health Promotion Group' at college.
Cardiff - AABc - Firm
Southampton - AAB - Insurance (just for the sake of it really)
Birmingham - AAB
Bristol - rejected w/o interview

Hey I'm currently sort of deciding between Cardiff and Brum at the moment..what made you choose Cardiff over Birmingham if you dont mind me asking? :smile:
overclocked
Hey I'm currently sort of deciding between Cardiff and Brum at the moment..what made you choose Cardiff over Birmingham if you dont mind me asking? :smile:

Just about to go out (had an exam today) - I will reply properly tomorrow!
But summed up now - no regrets... :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending