The Student Room Group

Medics and Applicants Profiles: Discussion

Scroll to see replies

HiBear
so this is what a failed application looks like:

IB 40-41 points HL: Math[7], Chem[7], Bio[7], Econ[6]; SL: English[5], Swedish [6]

Work Experience/Volunteering:
4 weeks hospital
assistant teacher for ESL 10 year olds
teaching english to orphans [sundays for 3 months]
[[Ronald McDonald house [play-therapy thing] (wrote about it in PS, but started after application was sent off)]]
Charity - Make Poverty History

yaay finally some IB marks i can (try) and relate to :smile:
edinburgh is one of the places im thinking of but they seem so hard to get into! :s-smilie:

i really need to start bucking up some ideas on work experience...
divinelord
Wow, thats a real strong application.
Hurts to see that you were 1 place away from offer. That said, many people here dont have an application as good as yours but still got in :confused: . Thats probably down to other important factors aswell.

thanks. And yes you're right there was a huge emphasis on interview performance (where i was ranked one away in the highest applied to college for medicine that year) and then later on a very strong BMAT, your school ranking and a strong 2nd college interview performance could help you move up the ranking in this particular college (according to the feedback i received). Overall, my interview just wasn't quite good enough and the college didn't really look at the personal statement and grades post-interivew, presumably because they assume that everyone who has managed to get to interview is already competant enough to do the course. Interesting stuff really. I think my downfall was 1) a poor 2nd college performance then 2) sadly unlucky in my choice of college (one that was very popular that year!). But im very happy that I have a place in Newcastle!
Reply 62
alwaysandforever
yaay finally some IB marks i can (try) and relate to :smile:
edinburgh is one of the places im thinking of but they seem so hard to get into! :s-smilie:

i really need to start bucking up some ideas on work experience...

yes you do.

i screwed up interviews... meh. but yes have you seen my lovely table of IB grade requirements?

CLICKY

(:
Reply 63
annread
yes i agree- i see so many people who lets face it dont have a good UKCAT- and apply to places like Nottingham, Sheffield, Edinburgh. There is no point saying 'you still stand a good chance, its still an avergae score'- people have to face reality. Thats what i did, my UKCAT was poor so i specifically did not select those unis eventhough i loved Edinburgh. My AS weren't amazing so i selected unis that didn't put a hige emphasis on them.I think people just fall in love with a place so much they forget that 1000s of other people are applying and then dont understand why they have been rejected.

How do you know though? I've been looking on the uni sites, but none of them actually state where their emphasis is, just that it's a requirement for any medical applicants to take either UKCAT or BMAT (depending on which Uni) and if UCAS application successful you'll be offered an interview and they elaborate a bit more on what they're looking for in an interview. I haven't really seen any divulge in to aspects of an application that are most important though.
Reply 64
ACDC
How do you know though? I've been looking on the uni sites, but none of them actually state where their emphasis is, just that it's a requirement for any medical applicants to take either UKCAT or BMAT (depending on which Uni) and if UCAS application successful you'll be offered an interview and they elaborate a bit more on what they're looking for in an interview. I haven't really seen any divulge in to aspects of an application that are most important though.

well when i did my research i didn't just look at their websites. I phoned the admission tutors up, i attended open days, i emailed unis, i looked on forums . . . The unis are not going to state in detail on their websites their admissions process, they do expect prospectus students to use a bit of initiative. Ok maybe you can't attend the open days but there is no harm in ringing up or simply emailing them. I did that for all my uni choices- by ringing up Leeds i found out that the UKCAT didnt play a significant role. Each uni has a different selection process, you just have to research a little more to find out. I believe the main reason i got 4 offeres is purely because i chose the unis bested suited to my application.

Anyway if you cant be bothered to look further then the websites, then at least look on this forum; there is loads of advice on unis selection process
Reply 65
pianofingers

Nottingham: Rejection post-interview (should not have cracked a joke about a surgeon not needing good communication skills as he/she's not being able to talk to a patient when he/she's under anaesthetic...)

:rofl:
saab_101
Year of Entry:2009
Deferred?:Nope
GCSEs:1A* 6.5 A 2 B 1.5 C
AS Grades: AABCD
A2 Prediction/Results: ABB
Previous Degree (if applicable):N/A
UKCAT (if applicable):610 =[
BMAT (if applicable):N/A
Work Experience/Volunteering:1 week cardiac unit at local hospital, one week local gp surgery, 2 months voluntary work at local hospital, first aid qualified, experience applying first aid in real situations.
Extra Curricular: Martial arts, Gym prefect
Universities applied to and decisions:

Kings College London: Rejected w/o interview
Barts: Rejected w/o interview - UKCAT
St George's: Rejected w/o interview - Grades
Peninsula: Rejected w/o interview - grades & ukcat :s

taking a gap year to reapply 2010

Why did you apply with A2 predictions lower than the entry requirements?
Reply 67
t3h_y0u553f
Why did you apply with A2 predictions lower than the entry requirements?

:rolleyes:

because i'd already decided on a gap year, but for many long and convoluted reasons, needed to put an application in anyway.
saab_101
:rolleyes:

because i'd already decided on a gap year, but for many long and convoluted reasons, needed to put an application in anyway.

Ok. Are you resitting or doing graduate entry?
Reply 69
t3h_y0u553f

This thread is not for discussion of peoples grades/plans - please use PMs or one of the discussion threads for that. Any further off topic posts will be moved.
Reply 70
t3h_y0u553f

Won't know till i get my results :s. I managed to pull my Chemistry up to an A from a C with resits in january and my english from a B to an A in january, so it's all resting on how I did in june :s
HiBear
yes you do.

i screwed up interviews... meh. but yes have you seen my lovely table of IB grade requirements?

CLICKY

(:

thanks for that link, it's really helpful :smile:
and i'm getting there on the work experience, i'm signed up for a week on an RRV/ambulance. strictly speaking it's not working with a doctor, but it's all experience right :smile:
MHMQ786
Profile of a less-than-average student with a low UKCAT, 4 days of work observation (not experience!) and predicted grades of ABB at the time of applying to study Medicine!

One thing that you need to understand, this is a FAR from AVERAGE medicine applicant profile, average applicants don't receive offers, the top 40% receive offers.

Nothing about your application is average or mediocre, (ill allow the AS results, but the UKCAT was higher than many applicants)
Reply 73
yeah it rather annoys me when people shout about their average grades then go on to state they recieved A's and B's
bean87
yeah it rather annoys me when people shout about their average grades then go on to state they recieved A's and B's

I suppose amongst the majority of medic applicants,these days,A's and B's are average.
Reply 75
MHMQ786
Profile of a less-than-average student with a low UKCAT, 4 days of work observation (not experience!) and predicted grades of ABB at the time of applying to study Medicine!

GCSEs: 8 A*'s, 1 A, 1 B

Please tell me you're joking...

Anyone who has GCSEs that allow them to apply to Birmingham and still thinks their GCSEs are average...well...it baffles me.

MHMQ786
Universities applied to and decisions: In order of preference when I applied: (for Medicine)
Leicester University: Rejected... probably due to my low UKCAT result. I had an interview, which I thought went pretty well.

UKCAT, grades, PS etc. are used before interview. The interview is used to decide whether you're offered a place or not.

MHMQ786
[ADVICE: Don't look at the candidate profiles and look at their grades... normally, the grades don't count as much as the rest of your application does (obviously depending on where u apply). Make sure your application/personal statement is checked over by at least five different people - including teachers, careers advisors, and even the companies where u pay money to get ur statement checked.

It depends on how well clued up your school is. I wouldn't have let teachers do anything but spell check and the careers advisor only really knew her stuff when it came to apprentiships.

My advice would be to use the PS helpers on here. They're better than any teacher or careers advisor.
Reply 76
DrDomDom
Your obvious academic strength, and evident lack of extra curriculars would seem to indicate:

- Oxford are grade whores.
- The other 3 are interested in more than grades.

Nothing unexpected...

I'd disagree. It has been established Oxford couldn't care less about being a 'prefect' or 'football captain', but the criteria above does not mention anything about the interview. Having 5/6 25 minute interviews would let them make a pretty decent judgement without even looking at grades.

In terms of academic merit i am above average. The other medics at my college achieved around 5A* 6A, BMAT roughly 20. Strong, but not amazing. All weight is on the interview, honestly! :yep: (In contrast, cambridge have only one interview with each candidate, btw).
Reply 77
I'm quite confused as to what UCL are looking for as they gave maze.e a place and not Star_struck, yet Star_struck's grades seem to be a bit higher and you both have similar extra curricular stuff.
Woody.
I'm quite confused as to what UCL are looking for as they gave maze.e a place and not Star_struck, yet Star_struck's grades seem to be a bit higher and you both have similar extra curricular stuff.

I imagine, as always, that how you portray yourself at interview affects massively your chances of an offer. You can have the greatest track record in the world on paper but unless you're applying to Edinburgh, the interview is there for a reason.

It might help if you just post once you've read this so that Hygeia can come along and delete these posts in order to keep the thread on track. :h:
Reply 79
Woody.

In addition to jonny's point, the way they expressed things in their PS would've been different and that is pretty influential.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending