The Student Room Group

Medics and Applicants Profiles: Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Toiletpaper8
All that message has done is probably made you more nervous a day before results day :p:

Yes!

:afraid:
AppleandMangoPie
yeah i dont think it works that way for uk though cos int he previous years everyone has had to log on at 7 am on results day to see and even then it hasnt necessarily updated!

well done james must be great to know ur certainly going to uni!

Oh the glorious English system ey! :rolleyes:
Reply 102
sjames06
My Edinburgh Conditional has changed to unconditional

:woo: well done! how did you find out? Damn I want to know about mine!
Reply 103
akj08
:woo: well done! how did you find out? Damn I want to know about mine!

Thanks, got an e-mail from the uni through their online system. You will do fine aswell no doubt!
Reply 104
sjames06
Thanks, got an e-mail from the uni through their online system. You will do fine aswell no doubt!

Ah right. Thanks, I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow to find out I think:smile:
Reply 105
One of my friend has been offered by a leading university to transfer from Foundation Health scince to Medicine entry 2009. He says completion of Foundation being equal to GCE A/L grades AAB.

I am confused whether this is possible. Anybody in the same same situation?
sjames06

Well done, my man.
Reply 107
jonnyofengland
Year of Entry: 2009
Deferred?: No
GCSEs: 6.5A*, 3A, 1C
AS Grades: aaaa in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics
A2 Prediction/Results: AAAa in Maths, Chemistry and Physics (with AS Biology)
UKCAT (if applicable): 720, 760, 670 750, Average 725
BMAT (if applicable): 7.9, 5.6, 12.0, Total 25.5
Work Experience/Volunteering: 1 week Hospital, 1 week GP, 4 months volunteering at local Hospital
Extra Curricular: Football for a local team, variety of other sports like running, cycling etc. (mainly to stay fit for football), peer mentoring, some film reviews for a local newspaper.
Universities applied to and decisions:
Oxford (Offer AAA)
Imperial (Offer AAA)
Newcastle (Offer AAA)
Barts (Offer AAA)

:smile: wow
snail_87
I added about a degree in there, maybe my post will be useful for people applying to GEP courses.

Year of Entry: 2008
Deferred?: no
GCSEs: 6 A's 5 B's
AS Grades: BCD
A2 Results: BCE
Previous degree: Anatomy and Human Biology (2:1)
UKCAT (if applicable): 700
Work Experience/Volunteering: 3 weeks hospital and GP. Mixture of things, surgery, home visits, outpatient clinics etc.
Warwick GEP - accepted with 2:1
Barts and the London GEP - rejected although offered place on 5 year course
Birmingham GEP - rejected
Leicester 5 yr - rejected

Hope that's useful x

Edit: What a dunce, i got my UKCAT score wrong. Was 670 before abstract reasoning was taken out, after that it went up to 700.

Hi, I heard that for GEP med, when u apply to a uni to study, and after uve gotten the offer, ur placed somewhere else to actually do the degree... is this tru?

Wud be grateful if yew could help :smile: Thanks
Reply 109
snail_87
I added about a degree in there, maybe my post will be useful for people applying to GEP courses.

Year of Entry: 2008
Deferred?: no
GCSEs: 6 A's 5 B's
AS Grades: BCD
A2 Results: BCE
Previous degree: Anatomy and Human Biology (2:1)
UKCAT (if applicable): 700
Work Experience/Volunteering: 3 weeks hospital and GP. Mixture of things, surgery, home visits, outpatient clinics etc.
Warwick GEP - accepted with 2:1
Barts and the London GEP - rejected although offered place on 5 year course
Birmingham GEP - rejected
Leicester 5 yr - rejected

Hope that's useful x

Edit: What a dunce, i got my UKCAT score wrong. Was 670 before abstract reasoning was taken out, after that it went up to 700.

this may sound really bad; but how did you get into medical school with them grades? :o: :eek:
dances_with_lamposts
Deferred?:No
GCSEs:2 B's, 2 D's and a bucket load of C's
AS Grades: n/a
A2 Prediction/Results:DDe (Biology, Chemistry, physics)
Previous Degree (if applicable): 2.2 Biomedical science (University of Wales, Bangor)
UKCAT (if applicable):n/a
BMAT (if applicable):n/a
GAMSAT: 56,64,55 - 58 overall
Work Experience/Volunteering:
- A few years as a voluntary sailing instructor to sea cadets,
- A few years part time as a first aider at a motor racing circuit (no, not st john's ambulance- a private company!),
- 1 year placement in a pathology lab as a trainee biomedical scientist (part of my degree),
- couple of years part time as a nerve conduction technician/physio assistant (electrical testing of patients with ?carpal tunnel/cubital tunnel syndrome),
- 1 year full time as an mla/traceability officer in haematology/blood bank (alongside the part time nerve conduction job).

Extra Curricular: 1st kyu shotokan karate, appointed first aider for karate club, level 5 sailing and sailing instructor.
Nottingham (4yr) - Offer :woo:
St Georges (4yr) - Offer :woo:
Peninsula - Rejection (i didnt meet their gamsat cutoff)
Swansea - Withdrawn

Could i ask how you found your interview with St George's? Was it hard? what type of things did they ask?
annaroberts20
Could i ask how you found your interview with St George's? Was it hard? what type of things did they ask?

to be honest - i didnt really enjoy my SGUL interview. it wasnt bad, i just knew i didnt want to go there so i didnt put much effort into it. i was being filmed aswell which was wierd.

the questions were the typical ones (i.e. why medicine, what would you do in x situation, think of a situation where you changed your opinion of something, when was the last time you were angry). the only really awkward one was (one that i posted about a few days ago) where one of the interviewers asked what i'd do if a patient complained about the 'black' nurse because they couldnt understand the accent. (the interviewer was black and i couldnt understand his accent very well so i kept having to ask him to repeat his questions :o: ) i kinda just waffled my way through the answer.

like i said, it wasnt bad. i just didnt get a good vibe from the place. im glad i got an offer, but im glad i was able to turn it down. :smile:

another thing they did was say 'is that all? after every question. it was sooooo offputting. i kept thinking that they wanted something else from my answer. but apparently they did that for everyone.

My Nottingham interview was much nicer (even though they gave me sparkly water and it was horrible). it just seemed a lot more organised and friendly.
Reply 112
Ubiquitous Resource
Deferred?: Nope
GCSEs: 9.5A* AB
AS Grades: aaaaab
A2 Prediction/Results: AAA/AA
UKCAT (if applicable): 643
BMAT (if applicable): 22.3
Work Experience/Volunteering: 7 weeks at a GP + a part time job that followed after for 6 months once a week, 1 week in a hospital, 2 weeks helping disabled children, Pupil mentoring 2 years, 1x week for a year at a primary school and boring stuff eg prefect...
Extra Curricular: Cricket + Badminton competitively, 5 years Army Cadets - with full first aid certificate from St John's and other awards, Recreational sports like football
Cambridge - Offer AA in Bio Chem (A in maths already achieved)
Imperial - Offer AAAC (C in geography)
Kings AAAC ( C in geo/maths)
Southampton rejected (didn't fulfil their criteria)

what criteria didnt you fulfill for Soton?
Sparkzz
this may sound really bad; but how did you get into medical school with them grades? :o: :eek:

Several GEPs do not take GCSEs and A levels into account, they only ask for a 2:1 in your degree. GEPs which do this are:
- Imperial
- Kings
- Keele
- Leicester
- Newcastle
- Nottingham
- St Georges
- Swansea
- Warwick

I had CDE at A level as well and got 2 GEP offers and a 5 year offer.

Sniper-Squeak
Hi, I heard that for GEP med, when u apply to a uni to study, and after uve gotten the offer, ur placed somewhere else to actually do the degree... is this tru?

Wud be grateful if yew could help :smile: Thanks

I can't speak for all unis but generally no, you won't be away from the uni, where on earth did you hear that?
GEP med students usually live in standard uni accommodation and are taught at the medical school where the 5 years are taught.
Reply 114
hoonosewot
Several GEPs do not take GCSEs and A levels into account, they only ask for a 2:1 in your degree. GEPs which do this are:
- Imperial
- Kings
- Keele
- Leicester
- Newcastle
- Nottingham
- St Georges
- Swansea
- Warwick

I had CDE at A level as well and got 2 GEP offers and a 5 year offer.

I can't speak for all unis but generally no, you won't be away from the uni, where on earth did you hear that?
GEP med students usually live in standard uni accommodation and are taught at the medical school where the 5 years are taught.

aha, I didn't notice that he/she had a degree :o:
Reply 115
Deferred?: No
GCSEs: 5A* 7A
AS Grades: AAAA (maths, chemistry, biology, geography)
A2 Prediction: AAAA
UKCAT: 690
Work Experience/Volunteering: 3 weeks shadowing GP, 3 days in hospital. Fundraising for Poppy Appeal and Rossendale Hospice. Working with disabled children and teaching a couple how to read. Teaching Quran to young children.
Extra Curricular: Badminton, orienteering, cricket, chess, air cadet, swimming, tae-kwon-do (stopped in 2008 for tae-kwon-do and swimming), D of E (Bronze and almost finished Silver, have started some of Gold) and Prefect.
Universities intending to apply to (4 of the following):
- Sheffield
- Edinburgh
- Newcastle
- Nottingham
- Leeds
- Liverpool
Reply 118
hassan_s

spike_spiegel

Your profiles have been removed from the applicants and profiles thread for now as they should only be posted there AFTER having received decisions from everywhere you have applied to.
Kinkerz
I kind of like that I got in with such 'bad' credentials :tongue: Scraping the barrel ftw!

Jest aside, this may give 'lesser' applicants that are technically weaker on paper some hope.

Deferred?: Negative

GCSEs: A*|AAAAAa|BB|C [business|dual science,geography,history,english literature,RS|english language,maths|french]
AS Grades: ABBC [biology,chemistry,psychology,physics]
A2 Prediction/Results: AABc (predictions)
UKCAT: Avg. 537.5

Work Experience/Volunteering: Three, one week placements with a nice mixture of departments/volunteered at a youth club for about 4-5 months
Extra Curricular: Football, cricket, snooker and fishing

Leeds - Unsuccessful [PS: 19/24, academia and referee statement: 11/22 | Total: 30/46 | Cut-off for interview: 38/46]
Keele - Interviewed - Offer (AAB)
Nottingham - Withdrawn
BSMS - Unsuccessful [academic score not competitive]

You've given me hope that not all medics need straight A's and a year of work experience to get an offer, thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending