The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Take car to bodyshop
Ask for quote
Read quote
Go home and think about it
Reply 2
Have you tried T-Cut + coloured polish? I had a 10 year old beaten up Micra, and with lots of washing and some T-Cut and polish the scratches were hardly noticable. Cheaper than a bodyshop but more effort. It looks like you may have taken off a lot of the paint (the picture isn't great). Take care with the T-Cut though if you're gonna use it - it's an abrasive that takes off some of the paint.
Reply 3
:frown: i think i'm gonna have to show my parents if i can't get this done secretly then... i only did it earlier on, won't be long til someone notices :frown:
Reply 4
A friend's car got her car keyed and she had to put it on the insurance. She only paid the excess, which was £250, so must have cost a fair bit more than that to justify claiming for it.
Reply 5
miss_p
I scratched the side of my car on the brick pillar as I was coming into the drive :frown: No-one has noticed yet but they will do soon!
Does anyone have any idea how much it will cost to have it re-painted? And how long will the car have to stay in for repair?? :frown:

At a guess I'd say about £130-£200. Take it to a place where they deal with these things and ask :smile:
Depends how bad it is, someone ran into the back quarter panel of my car in a car park. The bodyshop bill was £755 - for biiig dent + back bumper + tailight + respray of the area (+painting bumper). I'd imagine fixing a scratch like that would run you anywhere from £120-250 depending on where you get it done though.

Edit - My big bodyshop bill got paid for me though, I was in the car when the person hit it, so it was on their insurance :biggrin:
Reply 7
noooo! you guys are kidding me right?! my dad is gonna KILL me when he sees it! X(
Reply 8
but i like how only boys have replied to this lol and thanx for the estimates :frown:
Depends, have you dented it as well? The picture isn't great.
Reply 10
No i havent dented it, just scratched. It's taken some paint off and scratched the plastic bit too, but the paint bit looks bad, that's the main thing. The car is like 10yrs old and has minor dents in anyway btw.
Reply 11
If the bodywork isn't great maybe just clean the car, let it dry and (sparingly) apply some of the touch-up paint, allow it to dry then coloured polish. That's what I'd do. I used wet & dry paper to tackle rust on my old car which had been through the wars and after an afternoon cleaning it up and what not it looked pretty tidy.

Why not just tell your parents? It's a scratch. These things happen.
Reply 12
miss_p
No i havent dented it, just scratched. It's taken some paint off and scratched the plastic bit too, but the paint bit looks bad, that's the main thing. The car is like 10yrs old and has minor dents in anyway btw.

Don't go to the bodyshop, it will cost alot though it will look much better than if you do it yourself. I would go to halfords and get your car colour matched, ask for them to give you the colour in spray form. It will be easier to apply. A few even strokes and it should look ok. The spray costs like 10 pounds so not too bad. There is lacquer available to add the finishing gloss.

Ask at halfords for help, it should be ok. :yes:
Reply 13
Ahh JML scratch remover...

Scratch remover £9.79
Reply 14
Kaykiie

Scratch remover £9.79

I was just going to say this. It comes with a "magic" cloth. :wink:
Reply 15
Don't put it on your insurance, you'll lose your no claims bonus!

Try the T-cut.
hollee
Don't put it on your insurance, you'll lose your no claims bonus!

Try the T-cut.

T-cut won't work, have you seen the picture!?

OP go to halfords and get some spray, they'll colour match it as someone has already said and get you the right colour.
Reply 17
Tinkerbelle &#9829
T-cut won't work, have you seen the picture!?

OP go to halfords and get some spray, they'll colour match it as someone has already said and get you the right colour.

I have now. Don't use the T-cut lol.

I'd go to the garage and get them to do it, spraying it yourself can be tricky.
I went to a bodyshop for the work I needed done to my old car because it was a lot more extensive than what Halfords could have managed, and I'll be going back to the bodyshop for the repair to my current car because I know he does a good job. If it's a bit beat up anyway and it's only a small scratch, take it to Halfords, I think they can actually do the spray job for you. Might be worth getting a quote from the bodyshop if you'd prefer.
Reply 19
Kaykiie

Scratch remover £9.79

Oh that is only for superficial scratches though. I really think she should get it done at Halfords, if she asks nicely enough, some guy who works there might even spray it for her.

OP if you spray it yourself, clean the area first so it's free of dust. Use a soft cloth so it doesnt leave marks. Get some cardboard and make a cut in it to cover the area you will paint-this will prevent the spray going everywhere else on your car. Make sure it's not in a windy area too. Then make sure you shake the can and hold 15-20cm away from the affected area. Spray real quick and don't get stuck on one bit too long or the paint will drip due to multiple layers building up.

Latest

Trending

Trending