The Student Room Group

WJEC English Questions

Here where the questions i was required to answer. Sorry but i only remembers those that i did in English;

Romeo and Juliet:
Context Question > Looking at Mood and Atmosphere, the context is based off where Balthazor arrives at Mantua to talk with Romeo about the death of Juliet. Includes the infamous 'i defy you stars'

Optionals: To what extent to you think Friar Lawrence was to blame for the tragic outcome of events. Or. Describe how Shakespears presents the different types of love in Romeo and Juliet.

To Kill A Mockingbird:
Context Question > Looking at Mood and Atmosphere, the contxt is based off where Heck Tate arrives and discusses with Atticus about the moving of Tom Robinson to a different area. Atmosphere primerially tense.

Optionals: Imagine you are Atticus. Look back at the past events in To Kill A Mockingbird and describe your thoughts and feelings. Remember to speak like Atticus would. Or. Discuss how Harper Lee presents the theme of Growing Up in To Kill A Mockingbird.
Reply 1
I did "I know why the Caged Bird Sings" by Maya Angelou - we had to write about how she creates mood and atmosphere. Then for the essay I wrote about if she chose an effectice title for her autobiography.

Then I did "A View from the Bridge" by Arthur Miller - I had to write about what an argument between Beatrice and Eddie reveals about their personality. Then it was an essay I chose on giving advice to somebody going to play Eddie Carbone in a version of the play.

Finally I had the unseen poem - "Sometimes" - what a bore! I think I did OK on it but it was just so boring and I could not find techniques in it very easily.

I think I did OK but there is no way to find out how the WJEC normally grade work as they do not openly put this on their website as Edexcel do. Still I hope I got an A!!!

How did any other WJEC people find the exam? Does anybody know the grade boundaries?

SPANISH tomorrow arrggghhhh!!! Writing! :O

Matt
Reply 2
I did Of Mice and Men:

a) How does Steinbeck reveal Crooks' state of mind throughout the extract?

b) Describe how Steinbeck uses animals to illustrate his themes

An Inspector Calls:

a) How does JB Priestley create mood and atmosphere in the extract

b) Who, in your opinion, changes the most as a result of the Inspector's visit, and how is this presented to the audience?

I didn't like Sec B, but I really enjoyed the unseen poem. It was so easy! I'm familliar with Sheenagh Pugh, the author, so that was pretty cool! :biggrin: It's nice to have a style you're familiar with.

SPANISH tomorrow arrggghhhh!!! Writing! :O

I have the same exam too. :frown: Writing is the worst part. Good luck!
Reply 3
I sat the paper today and did:
1. To Kill A Mockingbird
2. A View From The Bridge
3. Compulsory unseen poetry question 'Sometimes'.

I found the paper quite reasonable and think that all the revision I did finally paid off! Many of my friends found the paper quite easy as well so hopefully achieved high grades overall :-D I just hope the boundaries aren't raised if lots of people did well!

I now don't have any more exams until Monday 6th of June - Geography and Science Double Award so wishing everyone else LOADS OF LUCK for any they may have!

Carly xx
Reply 4
I took WJEC eng lit 2day - and my booklet only had one staple in it! - crap or wat - i fear that it will come apart before the examiner gets to it! lol

I thought it was ok, i did 2 kill a mockingbird and inspector calls but the poem was rele hard - "Sometimes" im glad its over now...

I think u need about 75% 4 an A not sure how much 4 an A* tho...
Reply 5
Hi.

I did I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings (I wrote about Momma's power and strength) and An Inspector Calls (where I wrote about the character of Mr Birling). I think it went as well as I could have hoped though now I'm worrying about whether or not I included enough quotes and silly things like that. I was a bit awful at writing about the atmosphere and tone, and things like that, so I tended to talk about the extracts I was given and then relate it to how it creates the atmosphere.

I really liked the poem though I think I should have written a little bit more about the style and clarified myself when I mentioned the enjambment and caesura. I found myself writing more about its content and what I found to be the message or theme than anything technical, which I think could be my downfall.

Nevertheless, it's over now and I'm so glad! I left the revision for it until the last minute so I've been cramming like crazy for the past two days. During that time, I developed an intellectual crush on Maya Angelou. :-P And started 'shipping for Momma/Grandmother Baxter. Oh, the things revision does to you!

Carly, I have geography and science then too (with WJEC and AQA respectively).
Reply 6
With an inspector calls i found the mood and atomsphere ok - i did loads of quotes, but then I did the question on Shelia - i think i havent written enough though cuz my a question on mood was longer than the b question on Shelia, I was stuck on the poem so I wrote about it being inspirational - i dont think thats right

GCSEs -
English, Eng Lit(TAKEN), RE, Maths(TAKEN LAST YEAR), Bio, Chem, Phys, Geog, History, Art(TAKEN), ICT(TAKEN), German (TAKEN), Additional Maths
Reply 7
I did Of Mice and Men and a View From the Bridge. I liked the paper, as I found the essay options were quite easy. I hope this doesn't mean high grade boundaries though.
The poem for me was a real putof. After visiting the website of the author i discovered it is about a Footballer with a herion addiction. And i certainly didnt pickup upon this. I think WJEC do have some grade descriptions for A-C-F but they are characteristically vague of an examboard;

Grade F
In giving personal responses to texts, candidates show understanding of key features,
including themes, characters and language. They make straightforward connections between texts, and show some understanding of influences on texts and readers. They refer to aspects of texts when explaining their views. They convey their responses in appropriate ways.

Grade C
In responding to a range of texts, candidates show understanding of how meanings and ideas are conveyed through language, structure and form. They explore connections and comparisons between texts, referring to details to support their views. They show awareness of some of the cultural and social contexts of texts. They convey their ideas appropriately in a range of forms.

Grade A
Candidates respond critically and sensitively to a range of texts, taking into account
alternative approaches and interpretations. They explore and evaluate the ways meaning, ideas and feelings are conveyed through language, structure and form, making connections and comparisons between texts. They identify and comment on social, historical and cultural contexts of texts, and show awareness of literary tradition. They select forms appropriately and convey their ideas coherently.
Reply 9
Cool, good luck Lottie with the exams then!
Reply 10
Sometimes was about a heroin addict?! I wouldn't have guessed that in a million years.
Reply 11
A heroin addict?

Well, I'm not sure what to say to that.
Reply 12
I know it gave across optimism that things can get better, but it didn't have a "dark" side to it.

Latest