The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Victoria Point -Private Halls

I've been thinking about going into private halls recently, and just been looking at MCR students Victoria Point. It looks really nice and not overly pricey.

Just wondered what peoples opinions of it was. Is it nice, is the management good, hidden costs etc
I'm not in for all night partying, but obviously don't want it to be dead.
At first I wasn't that keen on shared bathrooms so if anyone could tell me what this is like I'll be grateful.

As I'm waiting on a conditional offer, and would rather not lose the reservation fee in the past how quickly have they sold out? Would they still have rooms after 20th August

Oooh and as I side note I have applied to uni accommodation, am I obliged to take up their offer when it's given after results day. I don't think I am as I havn't signed any contracts etc, but thought I'd check!

Many thanks, although I don't suppose I'll get many replies as a quick search seemed to bring up hardly any posts about this hall!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You sure you don't mean Victoria PARK?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
If you mean Victoria Halls, reply and I can tell you all about it as I just finished a year there.
And no, I don't think you're obliged to take up the offer, I expect they'd appreciate the free space since Mcr has so many applicants.
Reply 3
No Victoria Point it's private halls see here :smile:

http://www.mcrstudents.com/victoria-point/index.html
Reply 4
lowrax
If you mean Victoria Halls, reply and I can tell you all about it as I just finished a year there.
And no, I don't think you're obliged to take up the offer, I expect they'd appreciate the free space since Mcr has so many applicants.

I did look at Victoria Halls and considered it. Whats it like there? Did you like it?
Reply 5
I've applied for Victoria Point too! It looks really nice but I don't think there's any sort of lounge/living room area. I'm staying with my 2 best friends though so we've got no problems just hanging out in someones bedroom. Obviously there's the extra cost for internet but when I went to see the building the woman said it's normally only about £150 a year. It looked really safe and secure too, there's CCTV cameras all around the outside of the flats and in each flat there's a videophone thing so you can see who wants to be let in. There's also locks on each of the bedroom doors as well as the door to the flat itself.

It's a brand new build so there's no way of knowing what the management will be like. Also, there's 5 blocks of flats altogether, 2 for professionals and 3 for students (I think). I'm not sure if it'll be party central or not but it's close to all the uni halls and the majority of houses nearby are filled with other students so there'll always be something going on.

Are you from Manchester or are you moving here from somewhere else?
Reply 6
banannah
I've applied for Victoria Point too! It looks really nice but I don't think there's any sort of lounge/living room area. I'm staying with my 2 best friends though so we've got no problems just hanging out in someones bedroom. Obviously there's the extra cost for internet but when I went to see the building the woman said it's normally only about £150 a year. It looked really safe and secure too, there's CCTV cameras all around the outside of the flats and in each flat there's a videophone thing so you can see who wants to be let in. There's also locks on each of the bedroom doors as well as the door to the flat itself.

It's a brand new build so there's no way of knowing what the management will be like. Also, there's 5 blocks of flats altogether, 2 for professionals and 3 for students (I think). I'm not sure if it'll be party central or not but it's close to all the uni halls and the majority of houses nearby are filled with other students so there'll always be something going on.

Are you from Manchester or are you moving here from somewhere else?

From elsewhere, so can't pop round to have a look. Wish I'd found it last week then I could have popped round while on my occupational health on friday!

Sounds really nice from your description, and really secure. I'm super tempted by it, obviously don't want to make any rush decisions so just trying to find out all I can about it.
Reply 7
Standard wise Victoria Halls are quite good, they're all en-suite and reasonable sized rooms and will fix stuff quite quickly. Oh, and very good security.
The down side is the social aspect, there's no common room/area or bar and the halls are split into flats which are self-contained. It can be a bit harder to make friends and meet people compared to other halls. It depends on who you're in a flat with really!
Anyhow, good luck with everything!
Reply 8
lowrax
Standard wise Victoria Halls are quite good, they're all en-suite and reasonable sized rooms and will fix stuff quite quickly. Oh, and very good security.
The down side is the social aspect, there's no common room/area or bar and the halls are split into flats which are self-contained. It can be a bit harder to make friends and meet people compared to other halls. It depends on who you're in a flat with really!
Anyhow, good luck with everything!

Victoria Point is different to Victoria Halls? Victoria Point is brand new and isn't en-suite. Rooms look really good though. Decent location. But rooms are going fast.
Reply 9
Im probably going into private accommodation as well...something cheap but close to Fallowfield. Iv been looking at either a private hall or even a house if i could rent 1 room (obviously i dont know anyone there yet). Whats the latest on what your doing? Maybe if there were enough freshers interested in doing it we could get a house near fallowfield?? just an idea
Reply 10
I'm still un decided just waiting till after result/seeing what accomodation the uni gives me and if it's really crap I'll see what private halls are left
Reply 11
Hi all. ill be staying in victoria point as of september. im in my final year, but went on placement, hense the move back into halls as all the guys i lived with last year have graduated (or dropped out!) so im kinda hoping it will be nice and sociable but that i wont be the only non fresher there. if not ill just have to come along and ruin my chances of a good degree! message me if youre living there too and wanna chat!
Reply 12
what are the halls like then? a friend of mine said its taken a while to settle down (builders still there etc) but the rooms/kitchen/bathroom look lovely, i want to stay here in sept 2010!
hey, I'm also looking to stay here from sept 2010 :smile:
what is the security like? cos i have noticed most uni accom in manc has like gates surrounding it which is a piece of mind to me more than anything but here doesn't! i want to view it! :smile:
Reply 14
Don't stay here, it's awful! I'll type up a longer post later on when I get back from uni but seriously, please look somewhere else for accommodation.
oh dear that doesn't sound to promising :frown:
Reply 16
allrightmylove
oh dear that doesn't sound to promising :frown:

Sorry it's taken so long to reply! Basically there's so much wrong with the place I'll put it in a list:

- The flats were obviously rushed to be completed, things like bobbly lino on the kitchen and bathroom floor, scuffs on the walls from where the builders have moved furniture in, scratches on the kitchen sideboards, plaster all over the bathroom...

- Still no carpet in the main hallways, considering it's nearly Christmas I think this is a bit out of order, it's not like they've not had time to put it down. Plus my room is right next to the main door for the block, so I hear people coming in and out all night, especially people in heels.

- The pavements leading to the flats still haven't been done properly so there's holes everywhere.

- Washing machines are nearly always broke, I think there's only machines in 2 blocks out of 5 as well.

- It took nearly 3 weeks for someone to come and change 2 bulbs in my bathroom.

- They held flat inspections over 2 weeks ago and noted that we had a missing lightbulb in the kitchen, nobody's come to sort that out yet.

- We have to go to the MSV reception to do things like make complaints, pay rent etc.. There's no on-site reception (that I'm aware of).

- My rent was due on the 2nd November. I went to reception 2 weeks before that and filled out a form with my card details and asked them to take the money out of my account that day. They didn't. I had to go back to reception on the 9th to give them my details again, after they threatened to charge me extra for not paying rent.. When I told them to take it out of my account 3 weeks before that!

- Basically the whole admin side of things here is a mess.

- Security is really really bad too, the main door to the flat is often left open. We've only just had rolling shutters fitted on the basement carparks, before that anyone could wander in and up the stairs into the main building without a key.

- People have told me they've had beggars knocking on their door asking for money.

- There's no on-site security, so if something bad was to happen, you're ******.

- We've had 2 powercuts in the last month or so, the first time somebody phoned reception, they said "contact the provider". Considering they pay our bills out of our rent, they ARE the provider!

- Also, this isn't the fault of Victoria Point but Victoria baths are being completely refurbished, so I get woken up most mornings by the sound of drilling and crashing metal.

If I can remember anything else I'll let you know.
Banannah - I'm in victoria point too and it's shocking. Not only that but they are constantly harassing us for rent if we're like just 1 or 2 days late - that big idiot comes knocking on the door trying to be all threatening.

The amount of times we've set up standing orders with them and then the next month they don't get paid and they try to charge us £35 again for late payments. I'm sure they cancel the standing orders just so they can collect the late payment fees.

Now they want £155 to park the car?

It's madness. Could you email me in private please if you would be interested in getting together and seeing what we can do legal wise? There's a few of us in our block willing to make some noise - the more people we get the better.

I don't see why we should carry on paying them to be honest - it's not even safe or secure.
And what about Victoria Hall on High Cambridge Street?? Does anyone know anything about this hall?
In the pictures it seems nice and not expensive, but it would be better to know the real experience of someone living there.
Thank you in advance.
Reply 19
I know this thread has been around for ages, but I just want to reiterate what the above posters who live here have said:

DON'T LIVE HERE! It's rubbish :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending