The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
i heard (a massive generalisation here) that BS is basically a part of economics, but as a subject economics is far more wide ranging.
Reply 21
dougiemacs
i heard (a massive generalisation here) that BS is basically a part of economics, but as a subject economics is far more wide ranging.

I would say the opposite. BS is far more boad and includes economics (but only simple economics) as well as much else. Economics takes a bit more deep look at its own specific and "single" body of knowledge
Reply 22
Janos_D
I would say the opposite. BS is far more boad and includes economics (but only simple economics) as well as much else. Economics takes a bit more deep look at its own specific and "single" body of knowledge

well ive never studied BS so am hardly the expert, but i waas under the impression that its kind of microeconomics., whereas economics covers micro, macro, econometrics, globalisation etc.
as i say though, i know very little lol
leomango
Everyone here says how BS is a lot easier than economics. I did economics instead of BS at a-level but my degree will be mostly BS with a bit of economics. Just wondered how you think I will find it as i havent done BS and also what makes BS really easy compared to economics. I found economics relatively straight forward by the way.

I did Bus Ec A level and got an A on bus papar and U on ec (later retaken to a B haha)

I think more maths and applying knowledge to a situation in economics and in business its learning facts and regurgitating.
Reply 24
dougiemacs
well ive never studied BS so am hardly the expert, but i waas under the impression that its kind of microeconomics., whereas economics covers micro, macro, econometrics, globalisation etc.
as i say though, i know very little lol

True, but BS also includes (I think - never done it) accounting, marketing, management, law, psychology; probably other things
Reply 25
Janos_D
True, but BS also includes (I think - never done it) accounting, marketing, management, law, psychology; probably other things

ah ok fair enough. if we have both never done it we cant really comment though- i just want it to be easier and simpler as im doing econ at uni lol.
Reply 26
dougiemacs
ah ok fair enough. if we have both never done it we cant really comment though- i just want it to be easier and simpler as im doing econ at uni lol.

Well I would say that economics was the much better choice despite that!
Reply 27
I'm pretty sure the OP didn't want talk about A-level - he was going on about degree level. Business at degree level can be pretty tough depending on what you choose to study, for example I picked law and it was tough
Reply 28
I did both economics and business at A level

business is soo much easier because you can just waffle your way through the exam but economics is more subject specific you need to know exact definitions and diagrams..

for my business exam it was based on a pre released case study that a monkey could have answered, they're just really general and you dont really need to study business to answer it all you need to do is read the case study
DaveParlour
Not highly looked on? Those were the only three A-levels I did and Cambridge gave me an offer?

You should share this info wherver possible to enlighten people here.
Economics is abstract - e.g. different models of how the economy might work depending on different assumptions. This makes it hard for most people. A lot of people who study economics at A-level can just about do the exams but don't really understand it - the perfect example is people who try to use commodity market supply/demand economics in topics on the minimum wage.

BS is practical: good business practice, what makes businesses tick and so on. It is more directly applicable to people's lives, and so is much easier for most people to understand.

Joel4fun4u
You should share this info wherver possible to enlighten people here.

He was trolling. If you do stupid A-levels, you won't get an offer from a top academic university.
Reply 31
I do bothe subjects, and find that economics is more learning things, and then adapting them in order to answer the question, wheras business studies is more just regurgitating the information without doing that much work. There is also the added bonus of no diagrams in business studies :biggrin:
But to anyone who says business is useless, I still found english literature a lot easier
Reply 32
leomango
Thanks for the replies, my next question is what is it like studying BS at uni?

I do economics at uni, but in our first year we did a mix of business, accounting and economics modules and the economics modules were ******* hard, i may even change my course to business & economics which i half business half economics. BS isn't as **** as people say if you enjoy it do it, it is easier than economics though.
I took Business Studies and I got into Cambridge but it doesn't make up part of my conditional offer
i did business studies at alevel - it wasn't a hard subject, but the time constraints were such a bitch in exams. you just cannot get across all the stupid detail and technique in the stupidly small amount of time there was (AQA). economics forms a part of the business syllabus - looking at macroeconomic factors and how they affect the environment in which the business operates. but business also looks at finance (which includes simple maths) psychology in the people bit looking at motivational theory. and the other two sections included strategy and objectives, operations stuff and marketing.

it can be quite straightforward when you get the technique and common sense down but my grades in modules are always so unpredictable. unit 4 got a C and unit 5W got full marks and AS modules were all over the place. so don't know how i'm gonna get my A.
Reply 35
sil3nt_cha0s
Anything with the word "Studies" after it is an easy A Level.

General STUDIES
Media STUDIES
Business STUDIES

All easy and not looked highly upon by universities :yep:

Fail epic fail. FGS why does everyone think business studies is easy? Would you say maths, further maths, chemistry and german are hard subjects? Probably yes, and i'm most likely going to get A's in those subjects whereas a B in business studies lol. /rant

At GCSE it is piss easy but for A2 it's pretty tough.

OP I think they are of a similar difficulty (economics contains more maths though, so it depends how good at maths you are) it's just economics is more respected so people automatically assume it's much harder.

Latest