Reply 1
You're more likely to get some if you get dolled up :P
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
lmcorr
You're more likely to get some if you get dolled up :P

LOL I was only asking coz I don't own a tuxedo and I don't plan on buying one just for some ball :p:

Will there be other people in less formal attire or would I stand out like some kind of tramp :biggrin:
Reply 3
Usually everyone gets frocked up in their Sunday finery, though I have seen people wearing T shirts and jeans, which although not outright banned, it very much discouraged.
Reply 4
just wear a nice shirt and you will be fine :smile: no matter what there will probs be other people dressed like you whatever you wear!!
Reply 5
What on earth is a fresher's ball? :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Most people were in Tux's and a few in suits :smile:
Reply 7
Is this freshers ball something you bring your girlfriend too? or is it just to meet others and get to know everyone? thanks!
Reply 8
Try renting one instead.
Reply 9
Alright thanks.. on second thoughts I might just buy a cheap one off ebay or something :biggrin:
Reply 10
I went last year, i thought it was reasonably formal, most guys in tuxes/some suits, girls in dresses and heels. ALthough two of my friends did dress up as cowboys... x x x
Elio
Is this freshers ball something you bring your girlfriend too? or is it just to meet others and get to know everyone? thanks!

I'm fairly certain you can bring your girlfriend, (one of my friends brought her boyfriend, but things could have changed in 3 years...), but don't let her hold you back from getting to know the other freshers; this is your night. It is basically a good night out with all the first years. Everyone dresses up, there's a lot of drink, a well known-ish band & other kinds of entertainment all for around £25. Almost everyone goes & it provides with a host of memories & a chance to meet loads more people.
Reply 12
yeah i was wondering about this. I know my boyfriend would very much like to be invited to my freshers ball but i didn't know if this was generally done or even if it's a good idea!
Reply 13
Kahani_Moon
I'm fairly certain you can bring your girlfriend, (one of my friends brought her boyfriend, but things could have changed in 3 years...), but don't let her hold you back from getting to know the other freshers; this is your night. It is basically a good night out with all the first years. Everyone dresses up, there's a lot of drink, a well known-ish band & other kinds of entertainment all for around £25. Almost everyone goes & it provides with a host of memories & a chance to meet loads more people.

How dressy is it for the girls? Semi formal? or what should I be expecting?

Thanks! :-)
Reply 14
Prom / cocktail dresses.
Reply 15
:|
Are you serious? The extent of a prom dress? :s-smilie:
Reply 16
i saw some of my friends' pictures of the freshers ball from last year and the girls were all in proper dresses. Didn't see any full length ones but they were all really nice 'posh' dresses
When I went Most dressed in cocktail dresses. There were a few long dresses but not many. Don't recall any of my friends inviting their boyfriends either. There again I was really ill at mine, so I've probably forgotten lots!
Reply 18
Sam...
Alright thanks.. on second thoughts I might just buy a cheap one off ebay or something :biggrin:

probably a plan! I had lots of friends at uni who didn't own a tux when they started, but actually found it more worthwhile to buy one in the end as there were so many formal events throughout the year.

Girls - my housemates and i had a bit of a weakness for formal events - my cocktail dress wardrobe expanded massively over my 3 years at ex, opting to buy a new dress for each event! Cocktail dresses are definitely the way forward for the freshers ball... long prom dresses tend to look a bit out of place especially as it normally turns out to be quite an eventful night and theres loads of dancing and stuff and a long dress would seem like a massive hassle to me!

As for bringing your gf/bf, i wouldn't bother... there are plenty of other events throughout the year that they can go to and the freshers ball is more of an event that you spend with your new hall/other friends getting to know each other rather than having the hassle of having to look after your other half who doesn't know anyone....
Reply 19
Yes i agree with what your all saying about the girlfriend/boyfriend thing after thinknig about it and it is better to meet alot of new people than have to worry about your other half thanks for the responses... now just pray i have the acceptance grades...

Latest

Trending

Trending