The Student Room Group

Why do you train?

Curious that's all. For me personally, it all started when i was getting occasionally told by significant others, that i was, well, overweight. Chubs everywhere. The most significant occasion was when i was trying on a t-shirt in a Marks & Spencers branch, and in the dressing-room, there were mirrors on every wall, at every angle, and the view didn't look so good, to put it mildly :redface: Moobs? Yes. Other times, i went running and i got a stitch after running only 100metres, a very weak effort and reflection of my level of fitness.

I looked at some photographs taken of me, and i looked big, my face was chubby, everywhere was chubby. So, after having graduated and gone travelling, i joined a gym, mainly because i want to look good, feel physically and mentally more healthy. A further motivation is that i've started playing tennis and badminton on a more regular basis, so i've needed to get fit for these two also. Approx 12 months ago, i was weighing around 12.5 stone, now i'm hovering around 10st, i am getting some definition now, and can do 10kms in just under 50mins, combining cardio with weights.

So, why do you work-out? your motivations etc...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
to get fatter ironically, im an ecto and far to skinny its unreal. I was a little indie kid so i pulled it off, put now im gettin older i wanna be a little more bigger like
Reply 2
health mainly, i love sports. To be able to still sprint, beat men, do tricks etc in the 70th to 90th minutes in football is great because 80% of other people are tired by that point.

Also, after you finish working out, you feel and, if your like me and are sexually attracted to the local fast food van/place after a night out, you feel cleaner, especially after sweating out 12 pints.

and a good body is always good, not like bulging muscle but nice and slim but defined and huggable lol
Reply 3
helps my weight loss, makes me toned not saggy when i lose fat :biggrin: makes me feel good after a work out =]
Reply 4
too lose weight and the rush you get after knowing you've acomplished something like a great workout.
Reply 5
Yoda had always been a 65kg ecto, and after being introduced to weights through rowing, was very happy to get bigger. He then broke his arm at just below his target of 95kg, and after recovering just maintained an easy 80-85kg. He shall hit the 95kg after his exams.

At the start yoda enjoyed increasing his muscle mass, but now this is just an extra. Yoda finds working out very enjoyable.
Reply 6
going to be real truthful here but my confidence lacked. i mean, im fine moixing with strangers, speaking out in groups or hanging out with new people, but inside, i just thought i wasnt as confident as i should be and it was due to physical side.

went gym, but now after reading so much stuff round the net, im now doing it for the health benefits. it truely is amazing when you learn about a good nutritional lifestyle and the benefits ofit compared to eating microwave or pre prepared meals and processed meat.
Reply 7
I'm doing it for the health benifit's and now to further my martial arts.
Which has recently lead me to giving up the gym, as I'm now training so much.
But getting more built has boosted my confidence.
Instead of looking super skinny, I now look like an athlete.

I think I'm gonna try and bulk in the summer, as I wont have any martial arts, and go from 10 n a half stone to around 11 and a half.
It feels good, makes me feel virtuous and if I didn't I would be the size of a whale.

Also I want to lose some weight,working out helps.
Reply 9
to get strong and super fit for boxing. not really going for size.
Reply 10
to be able to compete at a good level still need to improve alot really
also want to start doing weights i am really skinny atm 5 foot 8 and just over 9 stone need to put some weight on and wont some definition
Reply 11
health, weight loss, concentration, well-being, beating-depression, and looks. :smile:

In a nutshelll :biggrin:
Reply 12
So I don't get killed by props. Thats a good reason. :p:
Reply 13
Mainly for that great feeling you get after youve pushed yourself and having achieved results etc. Its an incredibly way to feel self-achievement and dramatically improves my motivation etc.
For the health benefits and to improve my fitness

I enjoy it.

great break from revision etc to escape to the gym for a bit

And cant deny that wanting to look good in a bikini plays a role! (though more for myself than anybody else to be honest :smile: )
Because i dont have a choice!! well i guess i do, but then i wouldnt last long as a coach. It's also a good way to get away from all the stresses in life and have bit of a chill out, also good for venting your anger.
What started it off was my mates proposing a 6 pack competition for holiday :biggrin: Who ever could get the best one won. But I find the gym really fun now and I was a little overweight anyway.
Reply 16
ClareR

great break from revision etc to escape to the gym for a bit

:ditto:

Boosts blood flow and oxygen to the brain = boosts concentration ;yes;
Reply 17
to gain complete control over the physical universe
Reply 18
weight loss >> look good >> be confident
I bike ten miles a day because I have to, which keeps me trim.

Working out makes me feel as though I'm not wasting away or becoming a slob...

Quick Reply

Latest