The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There are massive differences in what solicitors and barristers can earn. Check out the law society website
Reply 2
This has information on salaries at City firms and some large regional firms - just click on "inside info" at the top of the page.

:smile:
My boss is the litigation partner in a small civil solicitors firm. I don't know if I'm supposed to say this :p: But his salary is something around £38k + commission. I don't know what the commission is, but probably around £15-£20,000 per year.

The senior partner earns about twice as much, but he is a lot older :smile:
Reply 4
This site http://www.chambersandpartners.com/chambersstudent/ has lots of useful info on salaries and stuff.
Reply 5
Colly
This site http://www.chambersandpartners.com/chambersstudent/ has lots of useful info on salaries and stuff.

For a solictor I've been told that after your degree, it is 30k at the start of the LPC and after completetion in two years it jumps up to 50k (so by the age of 23 assuming you started uni at 18.) This seems to be proven true by the below table

http://www.chambersandpartners.com/chambersstudent/pdf/Student%202005_salandben.pdf
After LPC at london firms it raises 6/7k per year, taking 5/6 years (so by age of 30) to get into sum sort of partnership where the money ranges from 500-1 mil depending on firm, and whether its a self-partnership or other stuff which are beyond me.

(nb. the above paragraph is something i remember reading of tsr so could be wrong. I would also be interested if sum1 could tell me after completing your LPC, what percentage of people actually get into partnership.)

Having said all that, you still gotta get the a levels, the degree, etc so it might as well be sunday sports transfer speculation.
Reply 6
US firms pay more.
after 10 years experience at top city firms you should be on a cool £100,000. And if you are a nutter in law and get into the Queens Counsil, you'll look at 500K
Reply 8
tiantang
For a solictor I've been told that after your degree, it is 30k at the start of the LPC and after completetion in two years it jumps up to 50k (so by the age of 23 assuming you started uni at 18.) This seems to be proven true by the below table

If you are with a bigger firm.
The law society minimum for trainee solicitors I think is about 14.5k
So you are definitely not going to get paid anything like as much if you are going for high street or smaller firms.
I've seen legal exec jobs requiring a 2.1 law degree, 24ish ucas points (obviously for people who haven't managed to get a TC) and 2 yrs experience only offering between 12-14k. :frown:
man these salaries are great aren't they? the problem is getting on the payroll hey;
i think i've figured out the best way to acquire a tc, but i'll keep it to myself. The secret is very simple ladies and gentlemen....
Reply 10
THE UNDERDOG
after 10 years experience at top city firms you should be on a cool £100,000. And if you are a nutter in law and get into the Queens Counsil, you'll look at 500K

After 10 you should be on far more than 100k, you should be on about 300k+

Becoming a QC will take 15years+ on average, and the salary can range hugely, even up to 3m or so.
Lawz-
After 10 you should be on far more than 100k, you should be on about 300k+

Becoming a QC will take 15years+ on average, and the salary can range hugely, even up to 3m or so.

GOD damn! i love u lawz!
hmm how much do US firms pay, i was thinkin 500k pounds and converting to dollars, which is about 1 million ...which here is an amazing salary. how much exactly do US firms pay, im a US citizen looking to sudy at Warwick probably, however, im not sure where id make more cash.
oh and are these salarys based on a LLM ?
Reply 14
lovemachine
GOD damn! i love u lawz!

I aim to please
Reply 15
lovemachine
hmm how much do US firms pay, i was thinkin 500k pounds and converting to dollars, which is about 1 million ...which here is an amazing salary. how much exactly do US firms pay, im a US citizen looking to sudy at Warwick probably, however, im not sure where id make more cash.

TC salaries vary - for some you get US salary on qualification - ie 125k USD plus bonus - vs 50k at a MC firm... so a lot better

The top US firms make as much per partner - and a few - such as Watchtell Lipton make far more (though this is an oddity).
ahh thanks for the info! out of curiosity , where did you study? if you're working now, where at? and how is it?
Reply 17
Even in scabby Scotland, according to LearnDirect:

Advocates:

Figures are intended as a guideline only.

Employed advocates usually earn between £19,000 and £260,000 a year.
Some top earners can make up to £1 million a year.
In the Procurator Fiscal Service, salaries range from £22,000 to £52,300 a year.

Solicitors:

Figures are intended as a guideline only.

Income for qualified solicitors varies considerably depending on their role and sector.
Trainee solicitors can earn around £13,000 to £20,000 a year.
A qualified solicitor working in a small practice may earn between £24,000 and £45,000.
A partner in a large firm, or head of an in-house legal department, can earn upwards of £100,000
Can you apply for a training contract with a deferred entry so to speak (this could be a stupid question)- say your last year at law school is 04/05 and you get a TC and with the deferred entry you start your LPC course in 06/07- is that possible?

And, do firms like/favour applicants who speak several different languages?
lovemachine
GOD damn! i love u lawz!

Yeah, at the top firms. Not easy getting in though!

Latest

Trending

Trending