The Student Room Group

Assessment

I have had my DSA assessment about 5 days ago and I am waiting for the proposal of needs and recommendations letter to arrive. I have been offered a desktop computer and printer amongst other needs which I am extremely grateful for. Does anybody know what entry level of computer or type it would be. I am not too worried about a laptop but have not decided wether to upgrade to one or not which is not a problem money wise as I have savings.
Reply 1
I think it would depend on your course and software recommended. The place where I had my assessment done, they always (no idea why) recommend computers with at least 19" monitors.
Reply 2
The recommendations don't usually give low-spec computers; you have to remember that they want it to last just as long as you (for a 3/4-year course), and as such the lowest spec you will receive will still be fairly high (from looking at the lowest specification offered on the DSA-QAG supplier list, none of them are bad at all).
Reply 3
Thank you. You obviously want it to go the full length of your course if possible so that good to know.
Reply 4
I got... (and this is a direct quote from the sheet cos I don't know much about computers)

Acer Extensa 5630 notebook: Intel Pentium Dial Core 2GHz, 2 GB DDR 2 Memory, 160GB hard disk drive, DVDRW rewriter, 10/100/1000 Mb networking, 802.11g wireless networking, 15.4" wide TFT screen, MS Windows Vista Home premium operating system.

Make of that what you will. Also I got a carry case, mouse, keyboard, stand for it, anti-virus, spare battery and some other stuff (most of it is ergonomic).
Reply 5
Some people also get software (not talking about bog standard that everyone needs) which you may need a fast computer to run it on.
Reply 6
I got assessed in June at Brunel:

This is the computer I have been recommended (a desktop) but I am planning to upgrade to a laptop as portability is an issue!

For my first quotation (Barry Bennet Ltd)
Intro Spec Solar PC. Foxconn Smart ATX Case (Black), Intel
DG31GL, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.50GHz, Intel Sound and Graphics,
2Gb DDR2 Memory, Western Digital 160GB HDD, LG 22x
DVD/RW, Wireless PCI Card, Microsoft Windows Vista Home
Basic.
19" TFT Monitor

Plus either an alphasmart/ netbook. As with the laptop, I can upgrade if I need to.

For my third (Iansyst ltd)

DELLKIT1
Dell 7400 Vista Home Premium PC Bundle
DELL-V-7400-VH
Dell Vostro 7400 Desktop Vista Home Prem
Intel Core2Duo E7400 2.8Ghz (1333MHz FSB) CPU,
Intel GM45 chipset, 3MB Cache, micro tower case,
4GB (2x 2GB) PC2-6400 DDR2-RAM 800Mhz, 320GB
7200RPM SATA hard drive, Intel GMA X4500HD
intergrated graphics, DVDRW+/- multi drive, on-board
audio, Dell keyboard & optical mouse, stereo
speakers, 8x USB 2.0 (4 front, 4 rear), 10/100/1000
Ethernet Port, Vista Home Premium, Warranty
included for length of student's course.
DELL-19-TFT
Dell 19" Widescreen LCD Display

Hope that helps, also I am planning to see whether I can get Unix/Linux on it instead of windows vista!

Anyway, back to the point, I'm pretty sure the computers will be of good quality instead of crap as it would cost the DSA people more money to replace shoddy computers.
I got my software and computer from Microlink, might be worth having a look on their website.
The laptop I got was Hi-Grade, a Notino something.
It'll be on their website.
The printer I got I think was Canon ip3600. I'm not sure, my memory is rubbish :p:
Reply 8
Thank you all for your information. If you upgrade what sort of cost are you looking at. Obviously it depends on the specification and are you limited on anything you can or cannot order. Does it depend on your course. When I was at my assessment the lady mentioned 110 pounds
Can anybody through any light on this. Many thanks.
Reply 9
They quoted £110 for me as well, despite me stating it's a need and not want.
Reply 10
Titch, yours was a want, as previously explained to you, with reference to the DSA guidance, in your other thread.

Upgrade costs will vary, but are usually pretty low. Plus purchasing through a DSA-QAG supplier will also mean the people know a lot about each product should you ever have problems, and can carry our your assistive software training with you on delivery.
Reply 11
Taiko
Titch, yours was a want, as previously explained to you, with reference to the DSA guidance, in your other thread.

Here we go again. You know nothing about my needs or my condition.
Reply 12
Everybody's recommendations are 'wants', thats why they are just recommendations. What the finance people do now is think about it and come back to you with what they think is right for you.

'Here we go again. You know nothing about my needs or my condition.'

I appreciate that we do not know, because our needs and conditions havent been brought up. Shall we keep this to types of computers?
Katie,

The spec for the computers is generaly pretty impressive because they have to still be performing reasonably well is 3-4 yrs time at the end of the course.

In all honesty the only upgrade you're likely to want to do is to go up to a laptop from a desktop. If you're happy with a desktop then I'd be very surprised if what you get recommended is a lower spec than you want.

When you assessment report comes through it will have the complete spec like you've seen people copy in above so you'll know exactly what you're being offered before you have to decide whether to upgrade.
Reply 14
Thank you Scary. I think the report will be through next week. I am sure I will be happy with the specification. As I have said before I am really
grateful for the help I have been offered and thank you before for giving me the time scale of the DSA previously as it has been helpful.

Latest

Trending

Trending