The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

For those of you med students who do it - is it worth it? Or too much crap/etc to make it not worth it?

Haven't tried since last year to apply.
Reply 41
Subcutaneous
if you have experience in a care setting, ie volunteering in a care home for a few months..or something then yeah its easy, it is a long application process though

I'm a little sceptical. the reason for this is when I was browsing what jobs there where I saw one for portering and there where roughly 4-6 jobs going and they stated they would wait until they received 200 applications before they closed the vacancy. And so I can imagine it may be a little tricky trying to get a job as a HCA
trektor
I'm a little sceptical. the reason for this is when I was browsing what jobs there where I saw one for portering and there where roughly 4-6 jobs going and they stated they would wait until they received 200 applications before they closed the vacancy. And so I can imagine it may be a little tricky trying to get a job as a HCA

I got the job on the phone, I just said medical student and it was then a question of finishing paperwork.

Thats agency rather than bank though. (this does however mean unlike various people I know on the bank I have shifts every day for the next ten days).
I do bank auxillary and its excellent.

I had no training because i had worked in peoples houses as a carer - i just got heres your first shift and go. It was a bit strange but i just followed everyone elses lead then its easy to get the hang of. I had to go to a trust induction day though where i fell asleep behind some important looking consultant people had some free tea and sandwiches and got paid for the pleasure.

For me though theres always shifts. I rang up an hour before i wanted to start yesterday and i got a shift on a general medicine ward and i was picky as to which one ward i wanted cause there were about 4 different ones.
Reply 44
During the week it's easy to be picky in terms of mornings and afternoons. I just checked (we can see all the outstending shifts online) and they still have 9 shifts for the afternoon today. What I want though is a night and there aren't any. :/
Philosoraptor
For those of you med students who do it - is it worth it? Or too much crap/etc to make it not worth it?

yes the best job ever for a student
Reply 46
Philosoraptor

I don't have much choice as I need to support myself somehow and healthcare is the only industry that seems to show any willingness to employ me.

Overall I think it is useful. I have worked on a dialysis unit pretty much full time one summer. Came very handy when I did my renal rotation. I used to work on medical admissions and now I do most of my shifts on the emergency surgical unit. I get to see loads of acute stuff, which I have almost never seen as a student. We don't do any ENT placements at Manchester so being able to get some impromptu teaching from the on call reg is handy. If it's quiet some junior doctors will teach me and let me practise prescribing, procedures etc. 1:1 teaching and I am being paid for it. What more could I be asking for.

At the same time I have done some trully horrible shifts. Care of elderly ward in the middle of D&V outbreak. Cleaning blood off the walls after a massive episode of hematemesis. Delirious patient chasing me down the ward swinging an IV pole. Relatives thretening to kill me if you don't the doctor to talk to them that very minute. Specialing confused patients that attempt to climb out of bed, kick, scratch, spit and shout horrible abouse through the duration of the shift. All very character building but I would rather pass on those experiences to be honest.
No Future
yes the best job ever for a student

Just wondering how many hours a week you could pull of a week during uni and not die?

(I realise a lot of people work only during the holidays or whatever - but would be interesting to hear from people who work during term time).
Philosoraptor
Just wondering how many hours a week you could pull of a week during uni and not die?

(I realise a lot of people work only during the holidays or whatever - but would be interesting to hear from people who work during term time).

ah i only do it during hols. am trying to apply to the n bank nr uni but doubt there will be much work.

entirely depends what yr, what med school and how much work etc.

it's just so flexible - as many or as few hrs as you like

my friend is a real nurse and does occasional fri and sat nights at the nearest big hosp and finds that ok during term time
Reply 49
Philosoraptor

The most I have ever done is 30. Friday, Saturday and Sunday night. Usually I do just 10 (Saturday night) or 14 (Sat+Sunday lates).
Philosoraptor

it depends on your workload or lectures, for example im only in uni this week monday and thursday, so i'm working more than i would, for example doing early shifts or late shifts.

I'd say at the most 20hours on average, but i dont know how heavy the medics workload is
I've just set myself up on the bank at the hospital I work at at the moment, should be very useful for work in the holidays. As far as I'm aware there'll be plenty of work for me at the ol' RUH during these times too, I know we're always gagging for more staff.
terpineol

I got the job on the phone, I just said medical student and it was then a question of finishing paperwork.

Terps, how do you find these agencies?
digitalis
Terps, how do you find these agencies?

This one was just a phone number in a long list of places my sister found for me. I have her well trained.

Wack nurse plus into google and see if you can find this one.

Latest

Trending

Trending