The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

lady_leon
I passed my test yesterday and I have a Golf 1.6 - I topped up a tenner this morning but I've driven about 12 miles since then. Any ideas?

Depends on the road surface, how fuel efficient the car is, whether you're going at a constant speed or stopping/starting all the time...

Congratulations on passing!
lol, its an 06 bmw 320 m sport, maybe a slight exaggeration, but still, my mpg is very poor so far :frown:
Daewoo matiz is where it's at, Brisbane to Melbourne on one tank !
Today I did 160 miles on a tenner + reserve (nearly didn't make it home. It's a diesel 306 HDI. I was driving very carefully as I didn't want to run out, but doing that I can easily get 55mpg.
Reply 24
francesca_20
Not sure of the technicalities, but believe that the higher revs, the more petrol you are burning. So you want to try and maintain low revs (1500-2500) and drive smoothly (not a lot of acceleration and deceleration and avoid heavy breaking). Seeing as you're a new to driving, I'm sure you haven't got into any horrible habits yet and are a much more efficient driver than most of us!

Respect to the person above me for doing the maths!

You should accelerate fairly quickly to the desired speed and then maintain the gas at the same level (that's not necessarily the same thing as maintaining the same speed, you can let your speed decrease in hills etc).
Reply 25
FinalCountdown
lol, this is depressing me, i passed my test on wednesday and my car is just raping my petrol tank, id just about get 20 miles out of that! :frown:

Either there is something seriously amiss with your car, or you drive something with a V8 twin turbo and have a pretty heavy right foot? If the first, then get it sorted. If the second, respect!
Reply 26
if you sniff it hard enough, about 750,000km (to the moon and back)
From what I have heard every one on the internet is bang on, I have spent £20 and done 91.8 miles rounding to the nearest hundred and have enough for at least another 20 miles so about 130 miles to £20, My car is as good as the average car and driver on the internet, and I am massively happy XD Research google, this is the average for every nearly every comment made
Old thread but why the heck not,

I run my car on self brewed 90/10 ethanol/shell v-power. It does 22mpg average.

Ethanol is around 44p a liter by the time I've picked it up. Shell v power is around 125/l.

Making it 52p/liter. Meaning I would get 94 miles. I can push that mpg figure up to 34mpg at a cruise at 60mph. Making it 145 miles.
About 27 miles in my car.

Latest