The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
my teacher said the higher french exam was ridiculous this year. the translation and the directed writing were awful.
Reply 81
LuhLah
It does?

Thank jesus for the flawed exam system ^^

All the critical essays are reading and personal, imaginative and discursive and writing. :smile:
Reply 82
Kirsty59
All the critical essays are reading and personal, imaginative and discursive and writing. :smile:

:awesome:

How did you find the credit biology? I found it quite hard...a lot of PS questions.
Reply 83
LuhLah
:awesome:

How did you find the credit biology? I found it quite hard...a lot of PS questions.

I didn't do biology. I found it boring as sin in 1st and 2nd Yr.

I did Maths, English, Chemistry, Physics, French, Graphics, Music and Geography.
Reply 84
They will probably lower the listening mark a lot in french... but I'm surprised that most of my answers were right (hopefully)

Reading was alright aswell... I just made it to a 2 in my prelims last year so this is a good sign.
Reply 85
Apparently our French prelims were very hard. Only about 4 people in the year got a 1.
Reply 86
Kirsty59
I didn't do biology. I found it boring as sin in 1st and 2nd Yr.

I did Maths, English, Chemistry, Physics, French, Graphics, Music and Geography.

Ah, I thought you did for some reason :mmm: Omg though, how easy was that general chemistry paper? I think I only lost one mark, and that was with the stupid voltage question lol
Love french :biggrin:
The Advanced Higher French exam was ridiculous. Translation, for example:

"There's another idea emerging: if the night is dangerous, take it over. Because the town centre, which is deserted after 8pm, was becoming somewhat unsafe, the local authority in Saint-Denis decided to bring the night to life one Friday a month in association with theatres, cinemas, museums and cafe-restaurants. But this means we risk filling the night calendar solely with entertainment and forgetting night work, which is in no way equal to day time work. Because man is first and foremost a day animal. And yet nowadays we are eating later and later. This is borne out by the increase in the number of automated grocery outlets open all the time."
It barely even makes sense in English.

Also, some of the answers for the listening seem ridiculous:

"What comment does Marc make about his grandparents?"
What he actually said - "they aren't interested in smoking/reading a newspaper in an armchair/knitting in front of the TV."
Acceptable answers - "couch." :eek:
Reply 89
LuhLah
Ah, I thought you did for some reason :mmm: Omg though, how easy was that general chemistry paper? I think I only lost one mark, and that was with the stupid voltage question lol

It's probably rather unusual for people on here not to do 3 sciences.

I think I may have got them all right but I'm not 100%. The credit was good too.
Reply 90
lol, all 3 of my subjects all on 1 day! :biggrin:

Won't make a difference if I look or not. All I know is I've failed the French Reading!
Reply 91
forgottenpanda

Acceptable answers - "couch." :eek:

Woah! Was it unusually hard so they're letting people away with it or just being lenient for no apparent reason?
Reply 92
Kirsty59
It's probably rather unusual for people on here not to do 3 sciences.

I think I may have got them all right but I'm not 100%. The credit was good too.

It was :h: Chemistry, along with History, was the subject I was best at lol.
Reply 93
I have a question:

When, in the marking scheme, an answer is "Irrelevant or Insufficient", what does that mean? Do you still get marks? Because there is another column that says "Unacceptable"

Thanks
Reply 94
RizzyI
I have a question:

When, in the marking scheme, an answer is "Irrelevant or Insufficient", what does that mean? Do you still get marks? Because there is another column that says "Unacceptable"

Thanks

I think it means it's not an acceptable answer, if it's irrelevant, that means it has nothing to do with the question being asked, and insufficient may mean it doesn't have enough detail for the mark. The "Unacceptable" column is there for answers which may seem relevant, but aren't really, so they don't get any marks.
Reply 95
LuhLah
I think it means it's not an acceptable answer, if it's irrelevant, that means it has nothing to do with the question being asked, and insufficient may mean it doesn't have enough detail for the mark. The "Unacceptable" column is there for answers which may seem relevant, but aren't really, so they don't get any marks.

OOOhhh thankies:p:
D: I've only got 1/5 subjects up.. dudde.. :frown:
Reply 97
3/8 of mines are up...
Gutted I can't remember any answers from H English :frown:
Everyone crying that they've failed English - the marking schemes are very loose and rely on markers discretion quite a lot as there are an incredible amount of different wordings that can mean the same general thing. So looking at the marking schemes for English is essentially useless :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending