The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

change in edinburgh entry requirements?

Hi,

I have just been browsing through the Edinburgh university website and I was surprised to see that as well as having the minimum requirements of BBB (A Level) for all humanity subjects they now have a section called “Typical entry requirements”, where a lot of the subjects are now listed as AAA or AAB.

As some one who has put Edinburgh down as an insurance offer I am quite surprised that they have now introduced this! Does this mean that all offers from 2010 are going to be AAA or is it just an indication of what calibre of students they are looking for now? Also there seems to be quite a big gap between the A Level requirements of AAA and the Higher requirements of AABB. Surely this is unfair?

What does everyone think of this change? Is Edinburgh just trying to reduce the number of English applicants who use them as their insurance? Is it fair?
Reply 1
When I applied, the typical offer across most Humanities subjects was BBB, and it was the offer I received (English Language and Linguistics). For more in demand subjects though (English Lit, etc), they really expected you to apply with higher predicted grades than BBB.

People get excited at the seemingly lower entry requirements in the prospectus, but if your subject has a high applicants:tongue:laces ratio, it's never been a good fallback option. I suppose this policy just makes it more open.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
2nd Edit - sorry, I misread the website. At first I thought it meant their offers would still be BBB, but on reading it again I think they may be giving out AAA offers. I think you're probably right, and they think they have too many English students putting them down as an insurance.

I think they just want to stop people applying for high demand subjects like English Lit with BBB/BBC, as it's a waste of a choice.
Reply 3
The minimum is just what you need for them not to automatically dismiss your application. The "typical entry requirements" is what you will need at least. They are trying to increase the diversity of applicants whilst maintaining the level of academic ability, it's as simple as that and if you want a place you had better aim for the best grades possible to be safe. Remember that Edinburgh is an ancient university and in being that is in quite high demand.
AABB for Scottish people for English? I know someone who got in with ABBB :confused:
Reply 5
ArcadiaHouse
AABB for Scottish people for English? I know someone who got in with ABBB :confused:

ABBB appears to be the minimum for a few of the courses so it's entirely possible depending on what they applied for.
Zedd
ABBB appears to be the minimum for a few of the courses so it's entirely possible depending on what they applied for.

English lit, the most oversubscribed course of the entire uni lol. But they'll hardly ask for straight As for Scottish people because the way the Scottish system works out, if you get straight As you're highly unlikely to apply for English (more like medicine or law or something).

WTF @ your sig :indiff: :woo:
Reply 7
Minimum entry requirements

SQA Highers: BBBB (or more if two sittings). including English Higher at Grade B.

GCE A Levels: BBB. including English Literature or English combined A Level at Grade B.

Other qualifications: please see other UK qualifications or non-UK qualifications.

General entry requirements: in addition to the above, please see our general entry requirements.
Typical entry requirements (subjects as above)

This is a high demand subject. If you meet one or more of our selection criteria (see below) in addition to achieving the minimum entry requirements, you may be offered a place. If not you will probably need to meet (or exceed) the typical entry requirements listed below.

SQA Highers: AABB

GCE A Levels: AAA

if you meet one or more of the criteria below you will have AAA but if not you will have to mee or exceed the the typical entry requirements listed below which is also AAA, how does this make sense? could they not have just put to be considered you must have BBB but it is unlikely you will get an offer without grades AAA
Hi. You appear to simply have cut and pasted some information into a new thread without asking a question or making a point. You also appear to struggle with the concept of checking to see if this has previously been discussed. It was only a few threads down too. Look here.
Reply 9
zeberdeee

SQA Highers: BBBB (or more if two sittings). including English Higher at Grade B.

GCE A Levels: BBB. including English Literature or English combined A Level at Grade B.

Other qualifications: please see other UK qualifications or non-UK qualifications.

General entry requirements: in addition to the above, please see our general entry requirements.

This is a high demand subject. If you meet one or more of our selection criteria (see below) in addition to achieving the minimum entry requirements, you may be offered a place. If not you will probably need to meet (or exceed) the typical entry requirements listed below.

if you meet one or more of the criteria below you will have AAA but if not you will have to mee or exceed the the typical entry requirements listed below which is also AAA, how does this make sense? could they not have just put to be considered you must have BBB but it is unlikely you will get an offer without grades AAA

The "criteria below" doesn't mean you have AAA predictions, it's the list which has 'live within an Edinburgh postcode / come from a deprived area or care' etc. So basically, if you don't have very good extenuating circumstances or live very near to the university, then you need to be predicted AAA.
Reply 10
when i visited for the open day i was told in the admissions office by a woman who had a piece of paper with the 'real' offers that were given out, i.e not BBB. i asked her what the realistic offer would be for philosophy, she looked and said that philosophy was one of the most oversubscribed courses and as such the offer would be AAA-AAB.

along comes november and i get an offer of BBB, whether this is because i was predicted AAA and they were trying to attract me there i don't know but from what i've heard from a lot of other people BBB seems to be the mode offer given out by edinburgh.

it shows that nobody should be discouraged by high typical offers.
curtis
when i visited for the open day i was told in the admissions office by a woman who had a piece of paper with the 'real' offers that were given out, i.e not BBB. i asked her what the realistic offer would be for philosophy, she looked and said that philosophy was one of the most oversubscribed courses and as such the offer would be AAA-AAB.

along comes november and i get an offer of BBB, whether this is because i was predicted AAA and they were trying to attract me there i don't know but from what i've heard from a lot of other people BBB seems to be the mode offer given out by edinburgh.

it shows that nobody should be discouraged by high typical offers.

Sometimes reading this subforum does make me feel like banging my head against a brick wall! It is very uncommon in the standard arts subjects (such as Philosophy) to see an offer over BBB. In reality of course, you will need to be a candidate who appears to be on track for a respectable collection of A's (maybe a B as well). To put it the other way around, if you are likely to scrape BBB you are unlikely to be made an offer compared to a candidate likely to cruise to AAA. This myth is disproved over and over and we have a wiki and stickies to help out!
Reply 12
nearlyheadlessian
Sometimes reading this subforum does make me feel like banging my head against a brick wall! It is very uncommon in the standard arts subjects (such as Philosophy) to see an offer over BBB. In reality of course, you will need to be a candidate who appears to be on track for a respectable collection of A's (maybe a B as well). To put it the other way around, if you are likely to scrape BBB you are unlikely to be made an offer compared to a candidate likely to cruise to AAA. This myth is disproved over and over and we have a wiki and stickies to help out!

What do you want me to say? I think I'd rather give information to people based on what I've been told by in person at the admissions office than what I see dotted around the student room.

Edinburgh mislead a huge number of applicants if they lead people into thinking a predicted BBB is enough when in reality they're looking for higher calibre students, i.e. predited grades of AAA-AAB, to then make those applicants a lower offer in order to attract them to Edinburgh.

This topic comes up time and time again, if people want to apply to Edinburgh they should just do it and see if they get a place.
Reply 13
i was predicted abb, and i still got a an offer for english lit which is, im told the MOST over subscribed course there is, if i dont get my grades this year i wont be put off by the renewed AAA typical offer as theres always the fact they want more than just perfect a levels and nothing else
Reply 14
Remember that Edinburgh have a selection criteria for giving preference to local students etc. They usually state on their website if you don't meet this criteria, (i.e. aren't Scottish/from N.E. England, and/or from a school with a small proportion of students going on to university) then you'll be usually expected to do better. This is from the website for History:
SQA Highers: BBBB (or more if two sittings).

GCE A Levels: BBB.

Selection criteria is defined as:

■applications from schools where a relatively small proportion of students progress to higher education or where the level of performance in examinations is below average
■those whose parents or guardians have not previously attended university. In order to be able to take account of this factor, this information should normally be included in the UCAS application
■applicants who may have experienced serious disruption to their formal education (for health or family reasons or for reasons associated with disability)
■applicants who have participated on a recognised access programme including Scottish Wider Access Programme (SWAP), Lothians Equal Access Programme for Schools (LEAPS) and Pathways to the Professions.
In addition we want to make sure that our local applicants are not prevented from studying their chosen subject because of the pressure on popular subject areas. For certain degree programmes we will give additional weighting to

■applications from schools in the local area (defined as City of Edinburgh, East Lothian, Midlothian, West Lothian, Scottish Borders, Fife, Falkirk and district, Clackmannanshire
■applications from schools in the wider locality (defined as the rest of Scotland, Cumbria, Northumberland, Durham, Teesside, and Tyne and Wear)

Those who do get an offer usually then get it at the minimum level regardless- in this case BBB from A2 or BBBB from Scottish Higher.
Reply 15
missruthian
Hi,

I have just been browsing through the Edinburgh university website and I was surprised to see that as well as having the minimum requirements of BBB (A Level) for all humanity subjects they now have a section called “Typical entry requirements”, where a lot of the subjects are now listed as AAA or AAB.

As some one who has put Edinburgh down as an insurance offer I am quite surprised that they have now introduced this! Does this mean that all offers from 2010 are going to be AAA or is it just an indication of what calibre of students they are looking for now? Also there seems to be quite a big gap between the A Level requirements of AAA and the Higher requirements of AABB. Surely this is unfair?

What does everyone think of this change? Is Edinburgh just trying to reduce the number of English applicants who use them as their insurance? Is it fair?

fair? Its up to them
missruthian
Hi,

BBB will be the typical terms of an offer, whilst you must be predicted more than that to get the offer. It's supposed to be a fairer system because once Edinburgh is sure that you are capable of high grades, they take the pressure off you by letting you get only decent ones. You need to be intelligent, but the battle is won or lost earlier in the application process, with the offer stage, rather than the A-level results stage.

EDVB
wot do edinburgh want for economics and maths or economics and statistics if im not predicted AAA

Latest

Trending

Trending