The Student Room Group
We don't really grade our degrees, but if the GPA is high enough you can graduate with honors. In order:
cum laude, "with honor" (direct translation: "with praise) usually a 3.5
magna cum laude, "with great honor" (direct translation: "with great praise)
summa cum laude, "with highest honor" (direct translation: "with highest praise)

But even if you get them it's not as big of a deal as in the UK. It's just something to put on your resume.

Edit: Sorry, just realized you might not know what GPA is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPA#United_States
Generally A= 4.0, B = 3.0, C=2.0, D=1.0. + or - adds or substracts .33. Grades are usually based on one or 2 midterms, a final, papers, and participation.
Reply 2
amandacalifornia
We don't really grade our degrees, but if the GPA is high enough you can graduate with honors. In order:
cum laude, "with honor" (direct translation: "with praise) usually a 3.5
magna cum laude, "with great honor" (direct translation: "with great praise)
summa cum laude, "with highest honor" (direct translation: "with highest praise)

But even if you get them it's not as big of a deal as in the UK. It's just something to put on your resume.

oh because im going to university in england next year to do a degree in psychology and then im going to (well hoping to go to) UCLA for law school, i was just wondering so yeah btw; Do you know what the equalivants are? like would a 1st over here be a 'summa cum laude'?
studyboy1992
oh because im going to university in england next year to do a degree in psychology and then im going to (well hoping to go to) UCLA for law school, i was just wondering so yeah btw; Do you know what the equalivants are? like would a 1st over here be a 'summa cum laude'?

http://www.wes.org/gradeconversionguide/index.asp

Good luck! Two of my mom's best friends went to UCLA law school and loved it.
Reply 4
amandacalifornia
http://www.wes.org/gradeconversionguide/index.asp

Good luck! Two of my mom's best friends went to UCLA law school and loved it.

it looks really good and fun lol and im studying abroad in california for a semester of my british degree.
Thanks for answering by the way!!!1 :biggrin:
Reply 5
My brother got a 2:1 here and now studies in the US at an Ivy League university. His degree was translated as A- or magna cum laude in the US system.

The degrees aren't really equivalent though as my brother is getting As in everything in his graduate degree and says it is very easy compared to a UK university. The exams they get even at graduate level include multiple choice tests (!) and short answer essay questions. He's basically treating the course as a vacation as he's not needing to study to do very well.
Reply 6
JCM89
My brother got a 2:1 here and now studies in the US at an Ivy League university. His degree was translated as A- or magna cum laude in the US system.

The degrees aren't really equivalent though as my brother is getting As in everything in his graduate degree and says it is very easy compared to a UK university. The exams they get even at graduate level include multiple choice tests (!) and short answer essay questions. He's basically treating the course as a vacation as he's not needing to study to do very well.

Yeah i have heard that from my friends that like when we are in six form/ college doing A level hard work etc, whereas in america its more like GCSE's like apparently the sat is equlivant as foundation GCSE's
and plus our A levels are equlivant to their undergrad degree.
is that true?

btw thanks for answering!
and sorry for my spelling lol.
Reply 7
studyboy1992
Yeah i have heard that from my friends that like when we are in six form/ college doing A level hard work etc, whereas in america its more like GCSE's like apparently the sat is equlivant as foundation GCSE's
and plus our A levels are equlivant to their undergrad degree.
is that true?

btw thanks for answering!
and sorry for my spelling lol.

I don't think A-levels are equivalent to a US undergraduate degree. But you can get into some US universities on the basis on GCSEs alone and most universities with just low grade A-levels. I know someone who got an offer of DD at A-level to study business at Boston University which is a fairly okay school.

The mismatch between the degree courses cab work in our favour though. I know a friend of a friend who totally screwed up his degree here and graduated with an ordinary degree. He got into a US university to study for an MBA and has done really well. It's unlikely without a 2:1 honours he would have got into an MBA course here.
Reply 8
JCM89
I don't think A-levels are equivalent to a US undergraduate degree. But you can get into some US universities on the basis on GCSEs alone and most universities with just low grade A-levels. I know someone who got an offer of DD at A-level to study business at Boston University which is a fairly okay school.

The mismatch between the degree courses cab work in our favour though. I know a friend of a friend who totally screwed up his degree here and graduated with an ordinary degree. He got into a US university to study for an MBA and has done really well. It's unlikely without a 2:1 honours he would have got into an MBA course here.

ohh i see btw what GCSE's did your friend get where they like all A*'s?
Reply 9
studyboy1992
ohh i see btw what GCSE's did your friend get where they like all A*'s?

The one who went to grad school got all As at GCSE - no A* grade available at that time. The Boston Uni guy just got Bs and Cs at GCSE.
Reply 10
JCM89
The one who went to grad school got all As at GCSE - no A* grade available at that time. The Boston Uni guy just got Bs and Cs at GCSE.

ohh i see kk thanks for your help!

Latest

Trending

Trending