Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Student Accounts With Railcards.

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm going back to uni in September and was thinking of changing my bank account to a student account purely to get a railcard. I don't particularly need the account as such, but would just like a perk like that incase I need to do any train travel in the next few years. My current railcard expires in August and I'm reluctant to get a new one as I am getting a car in a few weeks, but it would be nice to have if I do need to get the train anywhere.

Does anyone know if HSBC still do the railcards with their accounts? I looked on the website but couldn't find anywhere that said they offer any sort of incentives.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Natwest I hear you get a free railcard.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Missmeem)
    Natwest I hear you get a free railcard.
    Hmm, I've heard terrible things about them. I don't particularly want to change banks, so I probably will just stick with the account I've got at the moment, as I'd still have to have a graduate account for 2 years after I finish. I have no need for a different account, I just wanted the freebee :o:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    natwest do a five year railcard and also you have a 3 year graduate account... x
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittennffc)
    Hmm, I've heard terrible things about them. I don't particularly want to change banks, so I probably will just stick with the account I've got at the moment, as I'd still have to have a graduate account for 2 years after I finish. I have no need for a different account, I just wanted the freebee :o:
    Natwest aren't all bad. If you go in there and make them do what you want. They give the best interest free overdraft and a 5 year railcard, which is fan-fudging-tastic for getting about, and they were really efficient sending me my new one before my old one expired.

Student accounts = win. You should do it. I did.
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    i'll be going from hsbc for natwest for the 5-year rail card

if hsbc meet that offer then i'll stay if not i'll go
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    But is it worth changing back from an Advance account (the one after the Graduate account), for the sake one year? I won't need an overdraft, so it doesn't really matter to me about that.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm with Halifax and thinking of changing to Natwest only for the railcard. Any reason why I shouldn't?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you do don't go with barclays. I made the mistake of setting up an account I now have to cancel
    I've never heard of anyone having problems with Natwest, but railcards are pretty cheap anyway.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Natwest are awesome, I've always been with them and they sorted my student account with no problems.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Railcards are pretty cheap anyway at £25 for the year, I made that money back in my first use of it. Might be easier just to get it direct and not bother opening another account if you won't use it

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 27, 2009
New on TSR

Your favourite film of the year?

For you personally what has been the best 2014 movie

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.