The Student Room Group

People at the Times spoke pot. Lots of it.

This is an extract from one of those unimaginatively identical articles about how difficult it is to get into law and medicine, how tough the entrance tests are and how much the latter are susceptible to coaching (or are they?), bla bla bla.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,716-1627018,00.html

"University College London (UCL) is fourth in this year’s list, but tipped by insiders as the best law faculty in the country."

However flattering it may be for all of us UCL lawyers -- a bout of re-invigorating fresh air and, simultaneously, a big cloud of dust for both the freak-show faculties down the road (not to mention the other two submerged in medieval squalor) -- I suspect (and the use of the word is not due the doubtful validity of my assertion but is the mere product of my charitable politeness) that only a three-legged donkey who's had the encephalon of a fly transplanted into is head would approve of it. "Tipped by insiders" ha! - does insider(s) mean Rodney Austin pissed on cheap plonk talking vengeful, envious crap? Probably so, in which case I wouldn't give much weight to Ms. Blair's (the writer of the article hopefully not related to our beloved Prime Minister) statement.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why are you so keen to put your own faculty down all the time?
Reply 2
UCL_Law
Why are you so keen to put your own faculty down all the time?

That's not my desired intention but come on, can you honestly say without twisting all the parts of your body that can be twisted that UCL has a better law faculty than Oxford? Look at the academics they have and look at the ones we have; look at the facilities they have and look at the ones we have; look at the library they have and look at the one we have. I'm sorry but there is no way in hell that a statement like that can be condoned let alone receive support. Mind you though, it may have been true some time ago (twenty or thirty years back) when, it is the opinion of some, UCL was the best law faculty in the country on par with Oxford (Cambridge trailing a bit behind), but that cannot possibly be the case today, at least I don't think so.
Reply 3
otnemem
Look at the academics they have and look at the ones we have; look at the facilities they have and look at the ones we have; look at the library they have and look at the one we have.

Have you read law at Oxford before?

Would you be interested to know that many of Oxbridge's law academics (Prof. Glanville Williams, Prof. Ewan McKendrick, Prof. Andrew Burrows, Prof. John Baker, Dan Sarooshi, Thomas Krebs, etc.) previously taught at UCL and many UCL academics (Prof. Catherine Redgwell, Prof. Philippe Sands, Prof. Tim Swanson, Christophe Hillion, Ralph Wilde, Diamond Ashiagbor, Ray Purdy, etc.) previously taught at Oxbridge? Indeed, it is very common for the academics at Oxbridge and the three London colleges to move around between the five institutions. So you really can't criticise the standard of the academic staff at any one.

Do you also know that UCL's Professors Ronald Dworkin, Jeffrey Jowell, Sir Basil Markesinis, William Butler, Norman Palmer, Eric Barendt, Michael Freeman, Hazel Genn and Ian Fletcher are all the absolutely leading experts in their respective fields?

I really don't mean to be argumentative, but I strongly suggest that you know a little more about your own faculty's academic staff members before dissing them. :smile: (seriously, please don't take it the wrong way!)

It is because of its outstanding and illustrious academic staff, that UCL is so highly regarded as a law school. But of course, whether they can teach well or not, is a different matter... :smile:
Reply 4
lawgrad

Do you also know that UCL's Professors Ronald Dworkin, Jeffrey Jowell, Sir Basil Markesinis, William Butler, Norman Palmer, Eric Barendt, Michael Freeman, Hazel Genn and Ian Fletcher are all the absolutely leading experts in their respective fields?

Ha! With regards to some of those academics, their affiliation to Bentham House is very much restricted to their pictures being posted in the hall and on the website. True, Ronald Dworkin may indeed be the most cited legal academic of all the times (and one of the most cited academics across the board) but have you ever seen him?. I suspect that he spends a substantial proportion of his academic schedule in NYU rather than in our glorious law faculty. Same thing for Basil Markesinis. He may have a boatload of honorary doctorates, he may have been knighted in four different countries, he may speak five languages (somewhat) fluently, he may be counsel at the Cassation in Paris, but can we really consider him to be our academic? I accept he made the honourable effort of replicating what he created in Oxford here at UCL, i.e. an institute on comparative law sponsored by a bunch of banks and MC firms, and he does teach one course (which I have had the fortune of attending),but he spends 1 month and a half here in London and the rest it's either in Texas (where he also holds a post) or in some other obscure part of the globe spreading his gospel. Once again, the same applies to William Butler, what does he teach here at UCL? To be honest I had to look at the website for this one and this is what I found: "LLM Course (no undergrad teaching): Russian and other CIS Legal System Part I and II" - whmm....no doubt the most over-subscribed course in the LLM programme.

With regards to Eric Baredt and Micheal Freeman, though I am in no position whatsoever to judge their academic standing, can you really consider them to be "absolutely leading" in their field?

Of course, this does not mean that the rest of our (active) faculty is to be equated to pig stool. Like you said, Jeffrey Jowell, Prof. Palmer, Hazel Genn, Michael Bridge, Prof Fletcher, Prof Dennis etc are all in the Olympus of academia. But take this year's second year subjects and their respective teachers: Property (with the only dubious exception of Alison Clarke, Sean Coyle and Riz Mokal can hardly be called academic power-figures) Criminal (we have Dennis - editor of the C.L.R. but who taught us for most of the course? Jonathan Rogers, now he may be brilliant but he is still lying in academic obscurity) Contract and Tort (ha, this is the funny one: Alison Diduck - I mean seriously! has she published anything at all?) ELS (fair enough, here I had Markesinins, but, once again, for 1 month and a half only, the rest was taught by la crème de la crème of unknowns).

The objective of my post was not to deride our academic staff but merely to point out that what they have at Oxford is of very high calibre across the board. Now what goes for us may be true for them as well, i.e. yes they have all the Ruddens, the Honorés, the Cartwrights, the Bamforths, the Ashworths, the Brights, the Craigs, the Gardners and the McKendricks of this world but, perhaps, students never get to see them.

Also, the fact that some of these academics moved from UCL to Oxford does tepidly support my opinion. Whereas those who moved the other way, apart from Redgewell, are all brilliant but relatively young researchers maybe looking for some more air to breathe.

Finally, I seriously doubt you can question the superiority of the facilities Oxbridge students have at their disposal.

This of course doesn’t mean that UCL is a lowly faculty scraping the bottom of the academic pool. In all probability, it’s right after Oxford and Cambridge, on par with several others. But it irritates me to see that “best law faculty” gloating when it is simply not true.
Reply 5
whoop whoop.. go manchester :biggrin:
Reply 6
Annik
whoop whoop.. go manchester :biggrin:

If I were you (and, of course, I am not, so feel free to ignore altogether my cheap shot at dispensing advice), I would still go to King's. I think, and once again this is a purely personal perception (though I suspect that it may be shared by others on this forum) that you would have a slight (note the emphasis) edge with regards to employment prospects if you were to go to King's despite the latter's somewhat disappointing recent performance in idiotic league tables and its obstinate refusal to switch to the AAA standard offer. Manchester may indeed be a brilliant faculty but I still think King's reputation for law is somewhat superior. But once again this is all smoke and no substance: if you achieve better grades than a King's candidate (maybe even marginally better) I strongly doubt the human resources people at We-Only-Recruit-The-Best LLP will have any hesitation as to which one to chose (you with the better grades, of course).
Reply 7
The thing about Kings which is most startling is the percentage of ppl doing pupillages having gone to Kings, they are very close behind Oxbridge and I mean VERY if i remember the numbers correctly.
Reply 8
otnemem
If I were you (and, of course, I am not, so feel free to ignore altogether my cheap shot at dispensing advice), I would still go to King's. I think, and once again this is a purely personal perception (though I suspect that it may be shared by others on this forum) that you would have a slight (note the emphasis) edge with regards to employment prospects if you were to go to King's despite the latter's somewhat disappointing recent performance in idiotic league tables and its obstinate refusal to switch to the AAA standard offer. Manchester may indeed be a brilliant faculty but I still think King's reputation for law is somewhat superior. But once again this is all smoke and no substance: if you achieve better grades than a King's candidate (maybe even marginally better) I strongly doubt the human resources people at We-Only-Recruit-The-Best LLP will have any hesitation as to which one to chose (you with the better grades, of course).

thanks for the advice..
but manchester is cheaper for alcohol than London :wink:
Reply 9
otnemem
True, Ronald Dworkin may indeed be the most cited legal academic of all the times (and one of the most cited academics across the board) but have you ever seen him?

I was taught by him for my special topic during my third year. :smile:

otnemem
With regards to Eric Baredt and Micheal Freeman, though I am in no position whatsoever to judge their academic standing, can you really consider them to be "absolutely leading" in their field?

Eric Barendt is generally regarded as the UK’s leading authority on media law and freedom of speech. Michael Freeman played a substantial role in drafting the Children Act 1989 (one of the most important statutes in English child law since the Victorian days) and has been the Editor of ‘Lloyd’s Introduction to Jurisprudence’ (THE leading (albeit annoyingly complex!) textbook on Jurisprudence) for the past umpteen decades since Lloyd himself retired. If you don’t consider them ‘leading’, I don’t know who else is.

otnemem
Contract and Tort (ha, this is the funny one: Alison Diduck - I mean seriously! has she published anything at all?)

Alison Diduck is regarded as one of the UK’s experts on family, marriage and divorce law (she has published countless articles on those subjects, many cited by Oxbridge and Harvard academics I know because I have read them). I don’t know why was she asked to lecture on Contract & Tort II!

otnemem
Also, the fact that some of these academics moved from UCL to Oxford does tepidly support my opinion. Whereas those who moved the other way, apart from Redgewell, are all brilliant but relatively young researchers maybe looking for some more air to breathe.

Prof. Philippe Sands QC and Prof. Tim Swanson relatively young researchers?! :eek: And Hazel Genn and Eric Barendt transferred to UCL from Oxbridge too - young?!

But all in all, I think I do know what you are getting at. You are frustrated (and rightly so) that the lecturers allocated to teach your year were perhaps not what you expected. I can understand that - in my year, I had really good lecturers for all four second year subjects, so it was never a problem. Do not despair it should get better in your third year! :smile:

And btw, of course Oxford has better facilities than UCL! But I was just debating your assertion which seemed to be that UCL was miles and miles below Oxford in terms of academic staff. That is simply untrue. They face exactly the same constraints as you do many of my friends at Oxford and Cambridge were tutored by fresh graduates bored with their LPC/BVC. And my friends mostly skipped all their lectures (and hence miss out if ever Treitel or Ashworth bother to lecture!). :smile:
Reply 10
lawgrad
I was taught by him for my special topic during my third year. :smile:

Eric Barendt is generally regarded as the UK’s leading authority on media law and freedom of speech. Michael Freeman played a substantial role in drafting the Children Act 1989 (one of the most important statutes in English child law since the Victorian days) and has been the Editor of ‘Lloyd’s Introduction to Jurisprudence’ (THE leading (albeit annoyingly complex!) textbook on Jurisprudence) for the past umpteen decades since Lloyd himself retired. If you don’t consider them ‘leading’, I don’t know who else is.

Alison Diduck is regarded as one of the UK’s experts on family, marriage and divorce law (she has published countless articles on those subjects, many cited by Oxbridge and Harvard academics I know because I have read them). I don’t know why was she asked to lecture on Contract & Tort II!

Prof. Philippe Sands QC and Prof. Tim Swanson relatively young researchers?! :eek: And Hazel Genn and Eric Barendt transferred to UCL from Oxbridge too - young?!

But all in all, I think I do know what you are getting at. You are frustrated (and rightly so) that the lecturers allocated to teach your year were perhaps not what you expected. I can understand that - in my year, I had really good lecturers for all four second year subjects, so it was never a problem. Do not despair it should get better in your third year! :smile:

And btw, of course Oxford has better facilities than UCL! But I was just debating your assertion which seemed to be that UCL was miles and miles below Oxford in terms of academic staff. That is simply untrue. They face exactly the same constraints as you do many of my friends at Oxford and Cambridge were tutored by fresh graduates bored with their LPC/BVC. And my friends mostly skipped all their lectures (and hence miss out if ever Treitel or Ashworth bother to lecture!). :smile:

Selectivity is probably one of the commonest sins committed when replying to posts. Everybody, myself included, seems suffer from it. Of course Sands is not a “relatively young researcher” and neither is Tim Swanson, but to the best of my (admittedly limited) knowledge Christophe Hillion (who, by the way, seems to have disappeared for the past 10 months), Ralph Wilde, Diamond Ashiagbor and Ray Purdy are.

I did have a suspicion that Diduck was particularly keen on family law, but if she is such a great human repository of knowledge on the matter, why then confine her to the teaching of Contract and Tort II? and please note, not only did she teach it (or at least half of it), she was/is the sole course convenor. During seminars you could palpably see her discomfort with the subject (I don’t want to say she lacked the necessary knowledge, which she probably did not, for fear of divine punishment when my results come in). If not bad academics, this is a prime example of appallingly bad allocation of good academics, which is equally (if not more) worthy of criticism and, in any case, something which I strongly doubt you would encounter at Oxbridge (at least according to one of my tutors who also teaches at Oxford and who incessantly rants about the administrative inequalities between the two noble institutions).

Also, despite the tone of my initial post, I never suggested (and would never dare to do so) that UCL is miles away from Oxbridge. All I meant is that the assertion that UCL is actually better than Oxbridge is nothing more than a far-fetched fictionalisation. However, like I said before, few could dispute the suggestion that it trails (relatively) close behind.
Reply 11
otnemem
(with the only dubious exception of Alison Clarke, Sean Coyle and Riz Mokal can hardly be called academic power-figures)

Personally I think Mokal is excellent. I have read a number of his articles on insolvency law, and have been impressed.

Having said that - I think it is hard to deny that on the whole the quality of the staff at Oxford is superior to that of UCL. Though UCL certainly is excellent.
Reply 12
otnemem
Selectivity is probably one of the commonest sins committed when replying to posts. Everybody, myself included, seems suffer from it. Of course Sands is not a “relatively young researcher” and neither is Tim Swanson, but to the best of my (admittedly limited) knowledge Christophe Hillion (who, by the way, seems to have disappeared for the past 10 months), Ralph Wilde, Diamond Ashiagbor and Ray Purdy are.

I did have a suspicion that Diduck was particularly keen on family law, but if she is such a great human repository of knowledge on the matter, why then confine her to the teaching of Contract and Tort II? and please note, not only did she teach it (or at least half of it), she was/is the sole course convenor. During seminars you could palpably see her discomfort with the subject (I don’t want to say she lacked the necessary knowledge, which she probably did not, for fear of divine punishment when my results come in). If not bad academics, this is a prime example of appallingly bad allocation of good academics, which is equally (if not more) worthy of criticism and, in any case, something which I strongly doubt you would encounter at Oxbridge (at least according to one of my tutors who also teaches at Oxford and who incessantly rants about the administrative inequalities between the two noble institutions).

Also, despite the tone of my initial post, I never suggested (and would never dare to do so) that UCL is miles away from Oxbridge. All I meant is that the assertion that UCL is actually better than Oxbridge is nothing more than a far-fetched fictionalisation. However, like I said before, few could dispute the suggestion that it trails (relatively) close behind.

Lol. I understand. Alison Diduck does teach Family Law. I absolutely loved it - she was my family law tutor, and was the only one to insist on weekly, rather than fortnightly, tutorials.

As to administrative blunders, I think it is a lot to do with money and people! Many academics float around all the time and this year you were probably trapped without anyone to teach Contract & Tort II. David O'Keefe (EU law) and Alison Clarke went on sabbatical, Jane Holder had to give birth, Jim Stephens (the brilliant criminal law convenor before Rogers) died, etc.
Reply 13
Lawz-
Personally I think Mokal is excellent. I have read a number of his articles on insolvency law, and have been impressed.

He is one of the most verbose writers! But I do recall that he was top in the graduating year at UCL and he also graduated second in the year for the BCL. :eek:
otnemem
True, Ronald Dworkin may indeed be the most cited legal academic of all the times (and one of the most cited academics across the board) but have you ever seen him?

I had an offer to do the UCL MA in Legal and Political Theory, and I nearly took it solely so I could work with Dworkin. But I was advised that he's basically semi-retired now, and the UCL chair continued mainly as an honorary thing. In fact, haven't they now recruited someone else to the Quain chair?
otnemem
This is an extract from one of those unimaginatively identical articles about how difficult it is to get into law and medicine, how tough the entrance tests are and how much the latter are susceptible to coaching (or are they?), bla bla bla.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,716-1627018,00.html

"University College London (UCL) is fourth in this year’s list, but tipped by insiders as the best law faculty in the country."

However flattering it may be for all of us UCL lawyers -- a bout of re-invigorating fresh air and, simultaneously, a big cloud of dust for both the freak-show faculties down the road (not to mention the other two submerged in medieval squalor) -- I suspect (and the use of the word is not due the doubtful validity of my assertion but is the mere product of my charitable politeness) that only a three-legged donkey who's had the encephalon of a fly transplanted into is head would approve of it. "Tipped by insiders" ha! - does insider(s) mean Rodney Austin pissed on cheap plonk talking vengeful, envious crap? Probably so, in which case I wouldn't give much weight to Ms. Blair's (the writer of the article hopefully not related to our beloved Prime Minister) statement.

...well there must be some reason for them making such positive comments about UCL's law faculty!

Maybe something to do with those tasty baguettes :smile:
Reply 16
Lawz-

Oh, of course, he is excellent and with his fiercely opinionated stances and his no-holds-barred approach in expressing them, he will probably climb the academic ladder pretty quickly. But, he is only 30 or so year old and is currently doing his pupillage. It is therefore a tiny bit early to call him an enlightening academic.
Reply 17
Craigy_Boy
I had an offer to do the UCL MA in Legal and Political Theory, and I nearly took it solely so I could work with Dworkin. But I was advised that he's basically semi-retired now, and the UCL chair continued mainly as an honorary thing. In fact, haven't they now recruited someone else to the Quain chair?

Yes, a fellow named William Twinning.
otnemem
Yes, a fellow named William Twinning.

Ah. Has he resumed it then? Profile at http://www.ucl.ac.uk/laws/academics/profiles/index.shtml?twining lists hims as emeritus.

EDIT: I just noticed that that page hasn't been updated since October 04.
Reply 19
Craigy_Boy
Ah. Has he resumed it then? Profile at http://www.ucl.ac.uk/laws/academics/profiles/index.shtml?twining lists hims as emeritus.

EDIT: I just noticed that that page hasn't been updated since October 04.

Well, you see up until last year Ronald Dworkin was listed at Quain Professor of Jurisprudence, and, for some time now, he no longer holds the Quain chair whose title has passed to the Twinnign fellow. True, it does say emeritus, but haven't heard of any new appointments for the post, and for the time being I think he is probably active, though I wouldn't bet my lunch on it.

Latest

Trending

Trending