The Student Room Group

If You Could Genetically Engineer Your Child...

If you were secretly able to build your own child from each gene sequence up would you? In other words you've decided your child's entire genome, it doesn't even have to have any of your DNA but you could make it more intelligent, stronger and live longer than what would be able with your own genes.

Personally I would, and wouldn't really mind that the baby wasn't genetically related to me because in a sense I still made it and it's not like the child would be related to anyone else either. The idea of reproducing is to pass on your genes to the next generation and ensure the survival of your species but whats the point if I could raise something that was genetically better, I'm not implying the genetically engineered person would be superior to the ordinary one but I'm saying I could make them healthier, smarter and they would have a much better quality of life and the genes they would pass on would be a much better contribution to the species than my genes.

I imagine that most people would be opposed to this as they would want their child to be related to them which I kind of don't understand. You would still raise the child from birth so you would still have a normal parent/child relationship so I don't see where the problem is there, in a sense you made the child using your head so you would still have a sense that you "created" the child and the odds are your genes arn't going to make that much of a difference to advancement of the species so why not raise something that will be more sucessful in life, love you as much as a normal son/daughter and in a way you'll leave a legacy behind about how you helped your species than just passing down some genes that will be forgotten. In years your great great grandchildren probably won't care that much about you but a distant descedant who knows that their genes were created will likely have more respect for you.

Edit: Remember, I said this would be done SECRETLY. So other parents wouldn't be able to genetically engineer their children too. You would create your own little super child.

Scroll to see replies

Rather play the genetic lottery, it's more fun that way. Engineering a child to be good at everything would be plain boring, if you ask me.

"Oh look dear, our child is uber at everything"
"I know. You told me that after you put the order down"
Reply 2
How can you even think about stuff like this without feeling like a cartoon super-villain?
no
Reply 4
Irrelevance
Rather play the genetic lottery, it's more fun that way. Engineering a child to be good at everything would be plain boring, if you ask me.

"Oh look dear, our child is uber at everything"
"I know. You told me that after you put the order down"

Lotteries are only fun when you win :smile:
Reply 5
I have a feeling people would be against this, protesting as you say because people would be jealous that my genetically engineered child would be better than everyones oridinary children.
Reply 6
Unknown?
I have a feeling people would be against this, protesting as you say because people would be jealous that my genetically engineered child would be better than everyones oridinary children.

Why would they be jealous if they could just genetically engineer their own children to be even better than yours?

It's not jealousy, it's just sensible people realising that it's totally evil to require your child to be completely ans scientifically perfect before they're acceptable to you.
Reply 7
Spanghew
Why would they be jealous if they could just genetically engineer their own children to be even better than yours?

It's not jealousy, it's just sensible people realising that it's totally evil to require your child to be completely ans scientifically perfect before they're acceptable to you.

I said in my starter post for you to be able to genetically your child "secretly" so no one else would be able to. Say your a scientist and you've secretly made the technology. And yes, I believe it would still be jealously, though I said that my super child be equal to everyone elses, and I would want it to be treated the same as everyone elses with the same rights people wouldn't like the idea that my child would be smarter in classes, run faster on the track and never get ill because I made him.her to be that way and they weren't able to. They would feel jealous because they would think that its unfair that my child could do those things when their own couldn't and they would really wish their own child was like that.
Reply 8
I definitely wouldn't. I enjoy the wonders of nature :smile:

As for the ethics of genetically engineering kids, I'm totally against it. It would lead to a society where you have to be genetically engineered to get ahead in the world, so even parents who didn't want to have GE kids would have no choice unless they wanted the kid to have no opportunities in life.
Can I genetically engineer my child to be a mermaid? I would keep it in the bath.
Reply 10
Just watch Gattaca. It deals with this very well.
Still wouldn't beat my epic genes.

My DNA coding isn't composed of A T C G, it's composed of E P I C
Spanghew

But that's it. It would become a competition, people wouldn't have kids because they wanted something to love and care for, it would to be better than the neighbours. People would be comparing their kid's stats. It would be horrible to be a child, being constantly compared to every other kid.
It everyone was the best humanly possible at everything, there would be hardly any point for competitions, because everyone would draw.
Life would be just boring.
Reply 13
Unknown?
I said in my starter post for you to be able to genetically your child "secretly" so no one else would be able to. Say your a scientist and you've secretly made the technology. And yes, I believe it would still be jealously, though I said that my super child be equal to everyone elses, and I would want it to be treated the same as everyone elses with the same rights people wouldn't like the idea that my child would be smarter in classes, run faster on the track and never get ill because I made him.her to be that way and they weren't able to. They would feel jealous because they would think that its unfair that my child could do those things when their own couldn't and they would really wish their own child was like that.

Your children are going to be so messed up if you think the purpose of kids is to "one-up" other people.
Reply 14
I would, to some extent. I'd still want them to have my genes and stuff,but I wouldn't be averse to engineering it so they got the best possible combination. People who are beautiful and intelligent ultimately do have easier lives, so I think it's pretty selfish if anything to pass up the chance to make your child's life easier. I wouldn't do it solely to "one up" my friends, but I don't see anything wrong with engineering your child's basic traits to make their live more pleasant. You wouldn't be programming a robot, your child would still have a personality, but biologically it would have the features to help them succeeed.

Although if it became widespread and everyone did it, we'd be in the same position we are now really, since those couples who were smarter originally would be able to engineer their children to be smarter than someone else's.
Reply 15
CharlieNoir
But that's it. It would become a competition, people wouldn't have kids because they wanted something to love and care for, it would to be better than the neighbours. People would be comparing their kid's stats. It would be horrible to be a child, being constantly compared to every other kid.
It everyone was the best humanly possible at everything, there would be hardly any point for competitions, because everyone would draw.

Ah, don't worry, I don't agree with the genetic engineering at all. I was just questioning the logic beind people being jealous :smile:
Reply 16
CharlieNoir

No, it'd be just like Pokemon and pokemon was awesome.

/topic
Reply 17
Spanghew
Your children are going to be so messed up if you think the purpose of kids is to "one-up" other people.

I'd said I'd still love my child, I would consider this pointless if I didn't get to raise and love it like a normal son/daughter. Your all changing the subject saying that this would be a competition with other parents who have genetically altered their children probably because your afraid other children wouldn't be able to keep up. I want the best for my child, I'd consider an artificially created child as my own son/daughter and I'd also want the best for them, hence the dna manipulation.
Reply 18
i wouldn't have to tbh
I only want a kid to see what somebody who is half me and half my gf looks like. So I'd have to turn down the offer.

Plus, my genes are pretty perfect anyway.

Latest

Trending

Trending