The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Persepolis

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
dn013
That is not what you asked for, you asked for the meaning of the word antisemite. Of course semite means the group of people who speak semitic langauges - but antisemitic pertains to Jews.

Actually because Judaism does not actively convert, most Jews have their roots in Judea, and so are semitic - but that is besides the point. The word antisemitic, as I proved, means anti-Jewish.

You are completely incorrect. The word anti-semite is often used by jews to mean anti-Jewish but infact it means anti semitic people.

You cannot change the meanings of words and infact i have heard many people say anti-semitism refers to all semitic people.

It doesn't matter if jews convert, they still have babies with none jews and so they may have semitic ancestors but in the main are not semitic whereas many arabs are fully semitic.
Reply 61
TheJudge
You are completely incorrect. The word anti-semite is often used by jews to mean anti-Jewish but infact it means anti semitic people.

You cannot change the meanings of words and infact i have heard many people say anti-semitism refers to all semitic people.

It doesn't matter if jews convert, they still have babies with none jews and so they may have semitic ancestors but in the main are not semitic whereas many arabs are fully semitic.

Rofl, I gave you four sites that gave the definition of the word but you chose to ignore them and just spout out your own ******** definition.

There is no point in debating with you, you don't know how to concede when you are wrong.

Also I trust dictionaries more than 'many people' you may or may not have heard talk about antisemitism.

edit- you know someone is just a bit antisemitic when he does not even admit that antisemitism means anti-Jewish ^^
Reply 62
TheJudge
Sorry, the Jews do not have a monopoly on being Semitic. the Arabs are semitic people aswell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semite

Semites are not exclusively Jews, but the term 'anti-semitism' does refer exclusively to the hate of Jews:

Antisemitism (also spelled anti-semitism or anti-Semitism; also known as Judeophobia) is prejudice against or hostility towards Jews, often rooted in hatred of their ethnic background, culture, or religion.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisemitism
Reply 63
dn013
Rofl, I gave you four sites that gave the definition of the word but you chose to ignore them and just spout out your own ******** definition.

There is no point in debating with you, you don't know how to concede when you are wrong.

Also I trust dictionaries more than 'many people' you may or may not have heard talk about antisemitism.

edit- you know someone is just a bit antisemitic when he does not even admit that antisemitism means anti-Jewish ^^

Sorry, you can't blame me because your ethnic/religious group has problems with names. I have a question for you are jews a race or a religious group?

Jewish people appear to have a history of bungling racial definitions.

Semitic include all semitic people and thus anti-semitic also does. If it really bothers you i will remind you that words are not fixed, new words are made and old words can often take on new or double meanings. I consider anti-semitic to include all semitic people and many other people also do.
I guess in that way the erroneous use of the word anti-semite by Jewish people is being corrected.

Am i an Anti-semite? These days the term anti-semite appears to be used by Jewish people not for people who dislike jews but for the people jews dislike.

I suggest you use judeophobia. Its much more accurate.
Reply 64
TheJudge
Sorry, you can't blame me because your ethnic/religious group has problems with names. I have a question for you are jews a race or a religious group?

The definiation of 'anti-semitism' was not coined by Jews, and its a world recognized definition, not a Jewish once. The fact that you are uncomfortable with it is your own problem, the definition still stands.
Reply 65
The “Arabs are semites, how can they be anti-semitic?” argument ever has decent play in these kinds of debates. It is, after all, much more impressive than the “insert Zionist or critic of the Israeli government here” method, when, say, Abdul Alim Musa says, in a fee financed lecture at the University of Washington, “the Yahuds [Arabic] are the enemy of humanity.” - the University's director of public relations, speaking on behalf of the IMSU, could calm his colleagues by pointing out that the speech was really anti-Zionist, not anti-semitic; But, a wise decision is to cease juggling “Jew's”, “Zionist's” and “Israeli government” to combat claims of Arab anti-semitism by complaining that Arabs are in fact semitic. This clever semantic consists of hollowing out the content of a universally recognized term and filling it with a hardly believable one. Fortunately, the argument is rebutted by reality: anti-semites hate Jews, not semites. That's the definition of the term.
Reply 66
TheJudge

Semitic include all semitic people and thus anti-semitic also does. If it really bothers you i will remind you that words are not fixed, new words are made and old words can often take on new or double meanings. I consider anti-semitic to include all semitic people and many other people also do.
I guess in that way the erroneous use of the word anti-semite by Jewish people is being corrected.

Am i an Anti-semite? These days the term anti-semite appears to be used by Jewish people not for people who dislike jews but for the people jews dislike.

1) Jews did not make up the word antisemitism.

2) Ok well when the definition of the word changes go tell me the new definition. Just because language is fluid does not mean that you can define a word as however you want it to be defined.:rolleyes:

3) Actually it is used to describe those who dislike Jews, do you like Jews?
Reply 67
dn013
1) Jews did not make up the word antisemitism.

2) Ok well when the definition of the word changes go tell me the new definition. Just because language is fluid does not mean that you can define a word as however you want it to be defined.:rolleyes:

3) Actually it is used to describe those who dislike Jews, do you like Jews?

1)
I am not an expert in words and language but is anti-semite even a word or is it just a term combining two words together. The word semite predates the term anti-semite.

''The term "anti-Semitic" (or "anti-Semite") usually refers to Jews only''

This wikipedia article suggests that anti-semite is usually applied to jews but this implies it is used for other semitic people.

2)
I think you will find i did not come up with the notion of anti-semite referring to all semitic people, i noticed its use and did some research myself. So it appears that the term anti-semite has a some what wide spread use referring to all semitic people. In which case these definitions you have shown are outdated and have not taken into account the inclusion of all semitic people in some use of the term.

3)
I dont like jews. I judge them individually but as a group i neither like them or dislike them.
Reply 68
TheJudge
1)
I am not an expert in words and language but is anti-semite even a word or is it just a term combining two words together. The word semite predates the term anti-semite.

''The term "anti-Semitic" (or "anti-Semite") usually refers to Jews only''

This wikipedia article suggests that anti-semite is usually applied to jews but this implies it is used for other semitic people.

2)
I think you will find i did not come up with the notion of anti-semite referring to all semitic people, i noticed its use and did some research myself. So it appears that the term anti-semite has a some what wide spread use referring to all semitic people. In which case these definitions you have shown are outdated and have not taken into account the inclusion of all semitic people in some use of the term.

3)
I dont like jews. I judge them individually but as a group i neither like them or dislike them.

1) The wikipedia article does not imply that it is used for other other semitic peoples, it just states that some people may think incorrectly that it does:

'While the term's etymology might suggest that antisemitism is directed against all Semitic peoples, it has been used exclusively to refer to hostility toward Jews since its initial usage, since "Semite" is a common synonym for "Jew"'

2) The definitions I gave you are dictionary definitions, they are not outdated because no global consensus has decided that antisemitism no longer relates to anti-Jewish.

3) Why do you care what the definition of antisemitism is?? Do you want it changed so that you can label Jews as antisemite because of your belief that they hate Palestinians?? Kind of like many ardent anti-Israel protesters call Israel's government some new form of Nazism. It is just rather petty really.
Reply 69
dn013
1) The wikipedia article does not imply that it is used for other other semitic peoples, it just states that some people may think incorrectly that it does:

'While the term's etymology might suggest that antisemitism is directed against all Semitic peoples, it has been used exclusively to refer to hostility toward Jews since its initial usage, since "Semite" is a common synonym for "Jew"'

2) The definitions I gave you are dictionary definitions, they are not outdated because no global consensus has decided that antisemitism no longer relates to anti-Jewish.

3) Why do you care what the definition of antisemitism is?? Do you want it changed so that you can label Jews as antisemite because of your belief that they hate Palestinians?? Kind of like many ardent anti-Israel protesters call Israel's government some new form of Nazism. It is just rather petty really.

Sorry which wikipedia article are you referencing?

Many Jewish people are not semitic so it is erroneous to call any attack against them anti-semitic.

Dictionaries are outdated as soon as they go to print. Was there a global consensus to add the word chav to the dictionary? I believe a word only needs to be used a few thousand times to become a part of the language.

Jews are some of the most anti-semitic people you can meet. For the dislike of Jews i prefer the term judeophobia its much more accurate.

Why do i care? Personally i find the use of anti-semite disturbing. I feel that the use of this word is designed to add extra credence to the outrage of racism against jewish people. I think all racism should be treated equally, rather than have some groups enjoying a higher level of outrage than others.
Reply 70
TheJudge
Sorry which wikipedia article are you referencing?

Many Jewish people are not semitic so it is erroneous to call any attack against them anti-semitic.

Dictionaries are outdated as soon as they go to print. Was there a global consensus to add the word chav to the dictionary? I believe a word only needs to be used a few thousand times to become a part of the language.

Jews are some of the most anti-semitic people you can meet. For the dislike of Jews i prefer the term judeophobia its much more accurate.

Why do i care? Personally i find the use of anti-semite disturbing. I feel that the use of this word is designed to add extra credence to the outrage of racism against jewish people. I think all racism should be treated equally, rather than have some groups enjoying a higher level of outrage than others.

The wikipedia article on ANTISEMITISM if you had any brains you might have guessed... oh ye it is the same one that I referenced a couple posts back.

Unfortunately for you, those dictionaries are internet dictionaries therefore they never went 'into print.' As a result they are up to date. Everyone still refers to attacks against Jews as antisemitism, that has not changed for many, many years - let alone in the past year.

Rofl at calling Jews antisemitic, that is what your whole thought process boils down to. Jews are attacked by a certain people, whether they be Nazis or antisemites, and you want to label Jews the same thing as their attackers. It is petty.

Racism in the US is referred to as attacking black people, are you against that too?? Or is that not in the question because 'we are only talking about Jews.'
Reply 71
dn013

The wikipedia article on ANTISEMITISM if you had any brains you might have guessed... oh ye it is the same one that I referenced a couple posts back.

Unfortunately for you, those dictionaries are internet dictionaries therefore they never went 'into print.' As a result they are up to date. Everyone still refers to attacks against Jews as antisemitism, that has not changed for many, many years - let alone in the past year.

Rofl at calling Jews antisemitic, that is what your whole thought process boils down to. Jews are attacked by a certain people, whether they be Nazis or antisemites, and you want to label Jews the same thing as their attackers. It is petty.

Racism in the US is referred to as attacking black people, are you against that too?? Or is that not in the question because 'we are only talking about Jews.'

Well the wikipedia on semitic people disagrees with you.

They may be reffered to anti-semitic incidents however many people are questioning the term anti-semitic. You have got some evidense right here.

Jews are incredibly anti-semitic, they continually berate arabs and try and potray them as inferior. As a question do you consider arabs and muslims equal to jews?

Actually its called racism against black people not anti-negroid. So you will find there is a clear difference.
Reply 72
TheJudge
Well the wikipedia on semitic people disagrees with you.

They may be reffered to anti-semitic incidents however many people are questioning the term anti-semitic. You have got some evidense right here.

Jews are incredibly anti-semitic, they continually berate arabs and try and potray them as inferior. As a question do you consider arabs and muslims equal to jews?

Actually its called racism against black people not anti-negroid. So you will find there is a clear difference.

But the aricle on semitic peoples is not as pertinent to the debate as the article on ANTISEMITISM.

Of course Arabs and Muslims are equal to Jews, as are Persians, Christians, Hindus, Buddhists, Sikhs, etc.
Reply 73
dn013
But the aricle on semitic peoples is not as pertinent to the debate as the article on ANTISEMITISM.

Of course Arabs and Muslims are equal to Jews, as are Persians, Christians, Hindus, Buddhists, Sikhs, etc.

Well it does have a section on anti-semitism, and it states that anti-semitism usually refers to Jewish people. The implication being that anti-semitism also relates to none jewish semites.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semitic

If thats the case then why do you believe Israel should be a Jewish state? and you want to prevent Arab women from having children in Israel?
Reply 74
TheJudge
Well it does have a section on anti-semitism, and it states that anti-semitism usually refers to Jewish people. The implication being that anti-semitism also relates to none jewish semites.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semitic

If thats the case then why do you believe Israel should be a Jewish state? and you want to prevent Arab women from having children in Israel?

I want Israel to be a Jewish state because I believe that Jews have a good reason not to trust anybody else governing them. Everyone is equal, but not everyone is very friendly to the Jews - especially in Europe. Therefore Israel has to be Jewish in order for Jews to have self-determination and self-governance.

I never said prevent, I just said restrict if worst comes to worst - but only to protect Israel as a Jewish state. Personally I believe that Jews have lived too long under the governance of other races, races that have mistreated Jews in the past (this article will help) Obviously in 1948 the UN agreed to make a Jewish state and I do not know why Jews should relinquish their state just because of demographic pressures.

Two state solution, one Arab one Jewish.
borismor
Yesterday I watched the movie "Persepolis".

For those who are not familiar - it's an animated autobiography
created by Marjan Satrapi, a former Iranian that lived as a young girl
in post revolutionary Iran. Very moving, I highly recommend.

At one point in the movie her mother is angry at her for talking back to her theology teacher. She says:

"Do you know what they do to the young girls they arrest? You know what happened to Niloufar, the girl you met at Khosro’s house? The man who made the passports? You know that it’s against the law to kill a virgin, so a guardian of the revolution marries her and takes her virginity before executing her. Do you understand what that means? If someone so much as touches a hair on your head, I’d kill him".

I was shocked by this. I started looking into it, and I found a lot of sources that verify this custom:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,534116,00.html

What this movie did show me, besides what I already knew to some extent about the Iranian regime, is that there are secular and freedom loving people in Iran, but their voices are being smothered. Unlike what Mr. ImAdinnerjacker would have me think.

I just want to send these people a message:

http://libertytoiran.blogspot.com/2009/07/freedom-to-iran-demonstration-in-tel.html

Yes, it happens, it's terribly upsetting, still yay for Sharia law eh? :rolleyes:

Still, you are right, most people do not support the brutality that currently occurs in Iranian prisons. Freedom will always prevail and freedom seekers have always historically been the winners, a little patience is needed, all of this will soon be gone.
Reply 76
borismor
One could only imagine what the phone conversation was like in the case of the IDF testimonies:

Haaretz: Afternoon, Haaretz news desk, how can I help you?

Hamas: Err... yeah... Salam Aleikum, boy have I got a story for you!

HAHAHAHHA
Reply 77
Persepolis is undoubtedly a wonderful and moving film.

However; we in the west are often guilty of giving exiles, far too much weight when discussing their "homelands". There are plenty of artists, writers and film makers who live and working Iran who are often ignored, not to mention Irans poor. Exiled elites, living in the west don't necessarily speak for, or represent the views of all or even most people "back home".

I would recommend anyone in London to check out the "Made in Iran" exhibition at Asia House...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2009/jun/26/made-in-iran-art-exhibition
Reply 78
Bateman
luckily, not in Iranian jails.

http://blogs.amnesty.org.uk/blogs_entry.asp?eid=3615