The Student Room Group

International Studies with Economics (Birmingham)

Evening all,

I hope this is the correct forum.

I'm looking at applying to read Economics and Politics next year at various universities. I was reading through Birmingham's website and found the International Studies with Economics BA. The course seems excellent, but I really had two questions:

If some of the focus in my PS is on international politics/economics, would that then be suitable for applying to this course?

Also, how employable is this degree? Would it not be better simply studying Econ/Politics and selecting modules with a more international focus?

Cheers.
Reply 1
In regards to your personal statement, that would be fine. I think any combination of politics and economics in your PS would be fine for that course, despite it being international in focus; the reason being, few universities offer specific courses giving an international or a European focus from the outset.

As for the employment factor, I really can't see a traditional Economics and Politics degree being any more employable or valued than a degree in International Studies with Economics. The employer will be far more concerned with you as an individual candidate, and what you bring to the table in terms of skills and knowledge. The only time when your course will come into it is if you're applying for a specialized post which requires specific content.

Hope this helps. :smile:
Reply 2
Much obliged!
Just to say that I studied at Birmingham (straight political science, though) and I fully agree with ACS. I think the only difference will come if you were to look at applying for a specifically quantitative job, where the split of IS/econ wouldn't really be enough maths.

Anyway, if you have any questions about the university or department you're welcome to contact me :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending