The Student Room Group

URGENT! St Andrews (MSc Management and IT) vs Warwick (MSc IS and Management)?

Hi Guys! I have offers from Warwick and St Andrews, but I don't know which is better in terms of reputation and difficulty of the course, job prospects and other factors. I have only few days to decide.

Please advise!!!
Reply 1
Danka
Hi Guys! I have offers from Warwick and St Andrews, but I don't know which is better in terms of reputation and difficulty of the course, job prospects and other factors. I have only few days to decide.

Please advise!!!

In terms of reputation Warwick definitely has a better reputation (and better job prospects). If your course is within the business school (and I think it is) your choice is easy - Warwick.
Now, I can't talk about other factors such as course structure.
Regards,
Simona
Reply 2
Simona,
Thank you for your advice. The Management and Information Technology course is taught within the School of Management and the School of Computer Science, and the IS and Management course is in Warwick Business School. Personally, I prefer WBS, but my boyfriend is going to study in Scotland. And I think that it'll be difficult for us to see each other. For this reason, he also tried to find a university near Warwick. Unfortunately, his course is taught in Scotland or in London. He has an offer from Heriot Watt University. So, now I have to choose between Warwick and St Andrews. Not easy to make decision... Only 2 days left...
Reply 3
i'd go to Warwick because (and no-one shoot me down when i say this) st.Andrews is relatively new to being considered as near the top of the league tables and that could be due to prince william, although that opinion is probably false . I am sure you can't go wrong with either but i'd say Warwick has a bigger international reputation
Reply 4
acm345 ,

Thanks for your response. I am an overseas student. So, it is tough to make decision, but your pieces of advice really help me to make my choice.
Reply 5
I'd say St Andrews has a better international rep., especially in America; nonetheless, Warwick has a better business school.
Reply 6
if you're studying business i'd say Warwick.
Reply 7
Have you visited each university and thought about the location and academic provisions? Also, have you looked into the course content and thought about which is more suitable to you? The names of each course may be similar, but the individual modules could be very different, as well as the focus of each course, and the optional modules which you have to choose from; you'll be at a postgraduate level, and so the interests and the specialties of the academics/department will be very relevant.
Reply 8
Danka
Simona,
Thank you for your advice. The Management and Information Technology course is taught within the School of Management and the School of Computer Science, and the IS and Management course is in Warwick Business School. Personally, I prefer WBS, but my boyfriend is going to study in Scotland. And I think that it'll be difficult for us to see each other. For this reason, he also tried to find a university near Warwick. Unfortunately, his course is taught in Scotland or in London. He has an offer from Heriot Watt University. So, now I have to choose between Warwick and St Andrews. Not easy to make decision... Only 2 days left...

Then he could choose London and you Warwick. They are about 1 hour and a half distance from each other. Of course if your boyfriend has no specific preference (for London or Scotland).

If you take a look over the rankings on business you'll see that Warwick is really top. I don't deny ST Andrew's reputation but me for example I didn't even take it in consideration (even though I applied to all the other Uk universities from top 100 in the world).
Regardless the business part, I guess Warwick is well known by employers. Now, it is also important to take into consideration the place where are you going to work immediately after graduation: England of some other place. If it is England then Warwick. If you go abroad then either will do just fine.

As far as you see I advocate for Warwick (cause I made research on it) because I see S A only from outside (without specific research made) maybe you should ask sb who is a student there.
I am not from Uk and if you ask me right now what I see as being the best univ in England I would say (apart from oxbridge that btw aren't too brilliant on business from my opinion) UCL, Manchester, Warwick, LSE.
ST Andrews or York drop as a second tier univ from the very beginning.

You should definitely decide with your boyfriend in order to have the right decision for both.
Best regards,
Simona
Reply 9
I was almost forgotten. Compare the courses. It is very important. It is irrelevant if one univ is better that the other if the courses aren't equal.
If this is the case, I would suggest to choose the one from which you think you will learn more. (This is what I am doing, although in the long run I might be wrong)
Reply 10
I know it's been a while, but I just found this thread as I am in the same situation!

Any advice?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending