Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

3.2 megapixel camera phones vs 5 megapixel

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    from what i can understand there is barely any noticable difference in the qulaity of the picture unless you are blowing it up bigger...

does this mean a 3.2 megapixel camera would be sufficent on a phone and anything else higher is really a waste of money ....
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Unless the phone has a decent lens then your pictures will not be up to much anyways. 3.2 will be enough for standard photographs.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by impervious)
    Unless the phone has a decent lens then your pictures will not be up to much anyways. 3.2 will be enough for standard photographs.
    what type of lens should l look for ?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I personally think there's a big difference. Then from 5megapixels and up I can't tell the difference.
    I'm not techincal atttt alll but I'm just saying my opinion from past experience. I've had 3.2, 5 and 7.2 megapixel cameras and the last picture quiality looked the same.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Forget the lens, one of the most important things for camera phones is shutter speed. Slow shutter speed = crap picture, the only way of getting around a slow shutter speed is if your phone has some sort of shake-sensor so that it only takes the picture once it's steady and then you can, typically, take a good picture.

I think lenses are universally crap on mobile phones so far, although I heard a while back that kodak was developing a new design of lens specifically for the mobile market which would improve things.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Look for resolution, then shutter speed, then the lens, then the megapixel count.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've found that autofocus makes a fair bit of difference over fixed focus - features like that are just as important as megapixelage...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    is the Schneider-Kreuznach lens on the LG viewty a good lens then?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    Look for resolution, then shutter speed, then the lens, then the megapixel count.
    what's the difference..? :rolleyes:

EDIT: I was being facetious, to anyone wondering they are the same thing haha
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam:))
    Thats pretty good for a mobile I think. My old kodak digital camera had a Schneider-Keuznach lens. Anyway, megapixel count is rather useless if you don't want to blow your picture up (or crop).
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam:))
    The camera is the only good thing about the viewty.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by White Zenith)
    i was also wondeering that :confused:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mobile phones often give speckly pictures. I would look online where people post sample pictures to see what they're like.
    • 62 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWakeUpCall)
    Mobile phones often give speckly pictures. I would look online where people post sample pictures to see what they're like.
    This is usually due to the lens seemingly having a magnetic attraction to dust and other detritus found in your pocket.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by White Zenith)
    Resolution is how clear the camera can sense changes in colour (i.e. how much detail the camera can see). Pixel count is how many pixels they squeeze in (i.e. how much detail the camera can put onto the photo).

Having high pixel count and low resolution will make the picture look pixelated because the low resolution can't detect the finer changes in colour so the camera is forced to give multiple pixels the same colour . High resolution and low pixel count will have the same problem but for the opposite reason, each pixel can only be given one colour so the camera can't make use of the high resolution.

At least, that's how I understand it. Someone will probably come and shoot me down though. :o:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nokia use Carl Zeiss Optics Lens in their cameras. I had both the 5MP N85 and 8MP N86. Unless you are sending you images to a computer there is very little difference between them. As long as you focus properly, they both give gorgeous pics. Stick with 5...
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenjamin)
    Resolution is how clear the photo is. Pixel count is how many pixels they squeeze in.

Having high pixel count and low resolution will make the picture look pixelated because the low resolution can't detect the finer changes in colour so the camera is forced to give multiple pixels the same colour . High resolution and low pixel count will have the same problem but for the opposite reason, each pixel can only be given one colour so the camera can't make use of the high resolution.
    MP and resolution are associated. The mega-pixel of the camera is the number of pixels it captures to make a picture. Resolution is just the pixels horizontal multiplied by pixels vertical, which equals the "megapixel" of the camera.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zedd)
    MP and resolution are associated. The mega-pixel of the camera is the number of pixels it captures to make a picture. Resolution is just the pixels horizontal multiplied by pixels vertical, which equals the "megapixel" of the camera.
    Ah k, everyone ignore me then. :getmecoat:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed that Sony Ericsson do good camera phones. The K800i cybershot 3.2MP picture quality was vastly superior to the Samsung Soul U900 5MP camera, in my opinion anyway.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 29, 2009
New on TSR
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.