The Student Room Group

POLL: Attitudes to Drinking Alone

Hey all,

Anon because because xD

Anyway, I'm one of those people who's quite happy to either drink with friends in a pub, go clubbing - and drink at home alone. I'm not an alcoholic, I drink 4 - 6 times a month, though granted when I do drink I do drink quite a lot. I'm aware this "binge drinking" is "unhealthy", but to be honest, I'm 18 - and I'm just living it up while I still can, once I get some real responsibilties, there will be no continuation as I don't have an addictive personality and I certainly won't drink such large quantities. I can choose not to drink at any given moment, and have done in the past so this is of little concern.

I don't drink alone because I'm some kind of lonely "social failure" or whatever as some may assume, I have plenty of good, close friends. When i drink alone, I do enjoy it - just as much as when I go out with friends, though often more so. It's just nice to have some space to yourself, to reflect and to see your own typically mundane life with a bit more curiosity. Also, if you listen to your favorite music with headphones in a calm environment drunk, you genuinely do appreciate it more - much more so than in a sweaty and loud club (not like they often play good music anyway).

I also have a little clique of online only friends who I play multiplayer video games on Steam like CS:s-smilie: and L4D etc, and I chat to them - so that's not entirely drinking alone. Some of them are drinking too ^^.

Now my sessions of drinking alone are not regular, I don't have the time nor would I do so often if I did, once a month usually, no more than twice. I don't see this as a problem but society teaches me that it is wrong. I don't care, I will carry on anyway - but I'm just wondering what the concensus on this fourm is (see poll).

Feel free to comment and post your experiences.
Reply 1
Anonymous
I'm just wondering what the concensus on this fourm is (see poll).

You can't post polls as anon :smile:
Reply 2
I don't see anything inherently wrong in drinking alone, indeed I do it myslef when I'm havig a nightcap.
If you get drunk alone. I would say that is a little strange, and seems like the top of a slippery slope. I see no problem drinking alone, I love the taste of beer, I love the taste of rum. I enjoy having a drink, until maybe I get a bit of a buzz but certainly not to the point of drunkeness or even being tipsy.
Its no different to perhaps having a cigarette by yourself imo. As long as you actually enjoy the taste - otherwise I suppose you need to question why you are drinking.

Latest

Trending

Trending