Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

setting up a home network, help please

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    hey.
    I need some advice about setting up a home network. I know mostly what i am doing with computers but just dont know how to get this sorted.
    I have one desktop pc and will be getting 2 laptops with centrino processors and just want to set up a p2p network so they can share the internet connection, games, software and the printer.
    firstly- with a centrino processor do i need to by myself a network card or anything like that?
    2nd - i will get a wireless usb network card / dongle for my desktop pc.

with each computer having a wireless network card i will then just connect them all to the same work group.

but i am not sure how i will share the interenet connection.

will i need a router and how much will it cost and what should i get?.

can you think of anything else i need.

thanks
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    with a centrino processor do i need to by myself a network card or anything like that?
    Just to clear it up. The Centrino Processor does nothing to aid you in wireless networking. Its just marketing. Any laptop with any processor can have wireless

Now, as you bought a magical Centrino processor, you'll probably find your laptop has wireless built in. Which any laptop with any processor has

will i need a router and how much will it cost and what should i get?.
    Nothing more than £80. Netgear/Linysys are good
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well the best idea is to have at least one computer wired, e.g. have your router close to your dekstop so it can be wired.
    Then if needed get a wireless PCMCIA card for your laptops around 20 quid each.
    Then get a wireless 4 port switch router, which is around 40 quid.
    Set up the internet connection so that it is routed via the router, then encypt you network, get the network key for the wireless equipment to connect, then you will have your internet shared.
    For share folders, get each computer on the network in the same workgroup, then set file sharing and printer sharing permissions to yes.
    I assume the printer is on the desktop, so only set the printer sharing for that.
    Now you can share folders over your network, and a printer which the laptops can print from.
    To play games on the network, install the game on a shared folder on the computer, this way the other laptops can access it, then run the .exe program in the folder to load up the game.

Hope this helps.

Hope this diagram helps:

Jamie
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The reason why i mentioned having the desktop wired is because when playing games, and both laptops accessing the shared folder, if the desktop on wireless then loading would be slow. Wireless B- 11mbps or Wireless G- 54mbps or Wired 400mbps.
    So if your sharing loads of info then have the desktop wired. If it was wireless and both laptops were accessing files at the same time, the would only get 27 mbps which is not much at all and also if the game is online then more speed would have to be considered. Please dont forget the internet will be extremely slow if you have a crap connection e.g. 256k or 512 k.
    Another image:

Hope you understand where im coming from.

Jamie
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nice stuff flukey. I think having wireless connections are not good as you sometimes get disconnected. In addition, the signals and stuff may intercept. Therefore, people can read your data, etc...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    Nice stuff flukey. I think having wireless connections are not good as you sometimes get disconnected. In addition, the signals and stuff may intercept. Therefore, people can read your data, etc...
    why thank you trev, i never get disconnected from my wireless network

And yeah your also right, make sure the router is someone high up, otherwise the signal will be crap e.g.if the router was downstairs and you were going on the laptops upstairs then the signal would be crap thus decreasing speed onces more.
    People can't read your data if you encrypt the network trev. Thats what i've done! yay

How are you trev?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    hey,

thanks alot for your help.

i have a 2.2mb connection so i dont think sharing it will be a problem at all.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flukey)
    why thank you trev, i never get disconnected from my wireless network

And yeah your also right, make sure the router is someone high up, otherwise the signal will be crap e.g.if the router was downstairs and you were going on the laptops upstairs then the signal would be crap thus decreasing speed onces more.
    People can't read your data if you encrypt the network trev. Thats what i've done! yay

How are you trev?
    You're welcome. If I decide to have a wireless connection in the future, I would refer to your diagram posted. :p:

I think the router should be on the second floor of the house. How can you encrypt the network?

I'm fine thanks. How about you?
Updated: May 27, 2005
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.