The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Good bloke
You are. For maximum academic fit for medicine, study chemistry and biology A levels. Take physics or maths, in addition, to at least AS level if you want to apply to Cambridge. Otherwise do what you fancy. Some places like to see a complementary arts subject that shows you can write essays, such as English literature, RE or history.

This.
In answer to OP's question, is economics better than maths for medicine, definitely not. But you said you didnt want to do maths didnt you? I just said economics was better than psychology. Pyschology would be alright as a fourth subject/AS but not as your third A2... (IMO)_

English lit as opposed to language, and as good bloke and me have both said, RE(philosophy+ethics) and history also compliment your two (or three) sciences.
It can be confusing, but just stick with biology and chemistry, and then choose what you enjoy and do well in:yes:
Reply 41
Right lol

So, How many Alevels i pick depends on the college.

I would probably pick now

Math AS
Bio A2
Chem A2
Eng Lit A2

The Sixth form i want to go to doesn't do philosophy. They do re.
Is this as good ?

But dont universities give you say

Entry requirements

AAB

so what if i do math at AS level

and get say

AABb

Does it make me a better/ worse candidate ??
laurie93
Right lol

So, How many Alevels i pick depends on the college.

I would probably pick now

Math AS
Bio A2
Chem A2
Eng Lit A2

The Sixth form i want to go to doesn't do philosophy. They do re.
Is this as good ?

But dont universities give you say

Entry requirements

AAB

so what if i do math at AS level

and get say

AABb

Does it make me a better/ worse candidate ??

The AAB offer is actually AABa, so you need to work on your maths. If you do additional maths at GCSE you will find the AS level maths to be extremmely easy. The 3rd A2 level subject should be something you are interested in, as well as being a strong subject
Reply 43
I do Statistics at gcse. Is this the further maths you were suggesting ??
laurie93
I do Statistics at gcse. Is this the further maths you were suggesting ??

There is a statistics GCSE? Additional maths had a pure paper and a combined mechanics and statistics GCSE. You should find maths AS Level or even A2 level is such that once you have practiced the method, no learning is required, hence making it a potentially easy subject to do
Reply 45
Oh no, the statistic course is 75 % exam and 25% coursework. Its not further math but it covers the statistic side to the a-level. my teacher was saying how when people that did stats found their math alevel much easier. what is mechanics as this is on the math A level syllabus ??
laurie93
Oh no, the statistic course is 75 % exam and 25% coursework. Its not further math but it covers the statistic side to the a-level. my teacher was saying how when people that did stats found their math alevel much easier. what is mechanics as this is on the math A level syllabus ??

It depends what mdodules your school makes you take, but you have to do C1 and C2 which are pure maths papers at AS level. Then you can do M1(mechanics) or S1(statistics). Anyways, work hard on your GCSE's first to get the results then worry but A levels
Reply 47
Do you know any decent revision sites online for free. That arent confusing ?? In maths is just getting to grips with the initial method, but then having examples to practice with.
Reply 48
this is the prospectus for the sixth form i want to attend.

Im not sure which maths bit they do.

http://www.wathcomp.org.uk/prospectus/prospectus-6thintro.htm

cheers
laurie93
Do you know any decent revision sites online for free. That arent confusing ?? In maths is just getting to grips with the initial method, but then having examples to practice with.

Sorry but I am the wrong person to ask about revision, especially for maths. I slept during my GCSE's instead of revising for quite a bit of the time as I was tired, and I haven't ever needed to revise for maths. Sorry :frown:
laurie93
this is the prospectus for the sixth form i want to attend.

Im not sure which maths bit they do.

http://www.wathcomp.org.uk/prospectus/prospectus-6thintro.htm

cheers

It says they do Statistics for AS and Mechanics for A2. (As well as Core for both.)
Reply 51
what do you do in mechanics??
RE should be philosophy and ethics (check) and I would definitely recommend it.

Mechanics is just a branch of applied maths. Its my favourite part, and subsequently I find it easy. Its just the forces and motion side of physics, and is really not as bad as it sounds. M1 is quite easy really.

The four you listed just before sound good to me. And your AABb is good enough for alot of med schools. A few (UCL I think) may specify the grade for your AS, but many won't.
Reply 53
right ive now got a rough guide of which alevels i want to choose

Bio A2
Chem A2
History A2
Math AS

I do history at gcse so it would make sense to do it at a-Level
Reply 54
So finally these good choices guys ??

lol
laurie93
So finally these good choices guys ??