The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't know; is they?
Reply 2
They are the most powerful and would be who you wanted on your side in a fight...well in fact maybe not the French they might act tough but experience tells otherwise.
Reply 3
Are the nations UK, france and Germany, far more important nations than Spain, Italy, Poland etc..? Do these nations have a bigger political stance and bigger say within European organisations in the EU as opposed to other nations such as Italy, Spain, and Poland etc...?
Reply 4
ashy
I don't know; is they?

damn i was going to say that! + rep :wink:
Reply 5
4G_dollars
As opposed to other nations like Spain, Portogul, Poland etc...Are those nations UK, france and Germany, far more important nations, have a bigger political stance and bigger say within Europe?

... Speak English. I'm finding it difficult to understand you.

I'd say that "Western" countries have more sway than the former Soviet bloc, especially those which are also on the UN Security Council, but I don't think the UK is as important as we'd like to believe. (I'd like to elaborate that I meant permanent members, i.e. UK and France.)
Reply 6
They are the 3 richest, politically most influential, culturally Germany not as significant. Angela Merkel is currently the most powerful woman in the world.
Naturally. They've been the most important for the past 250 years.
Reply 8
sticky tape
damn i was going to say that! + rep :wink:

:five:
Reply 9
4G_dollars
and European organisations such as the EU? Do these nations have a bigger say in the EU?

The are most important, yes, but per capita it is the smaller countries that have more 'say' in the EU. They get massively more MEPs per capita, as well as having similar standing with lower populations in the Council.
4G_dollars
and European organisations such as the EU? Do these nations have a bigger say in the EU?

nope, its france and germany

uk will be a complete irellevance on the world stage in 5 years time.

scotland will become independent through a referendum later next year.
england will be to small to have any significant weight.
Reply 11
Well considering the EU parliament has seats by population, the UK France and Germany must be the most influential in that way.
What does "important" mean? As has been said, they're rich and influential, but what makes a country "important"? I'd say that the most populous countries are the most "important", as what affects them affects the greatest number of human beings.
economically, militarily and culturally, well yes.
France? Don't be silly.

I believe Germany still has their spine.
We all know the EU is German-French gambit.
The other countries have the right to remain silent and give lots of money to the EU coffers.
Reply 16
AntiMonarchist
We all know the EU is German-French gambit.
The other countries have the right to remain silent and give lots of money to the EU coffers.

Ha. Ha.

This is a rather outdated view. I shall concede it may have been an appropriately accurate view up until the Treaty of Maastricht, but after that it really is only valid for things like the G8.

You must have heard about the Lisbon Treaty, and though the German constitutional court was a bit of a worry that sorted itself out, it all hinges on Ireland.

But you probably wouldn't know that what is stopping the EU from recognising Kosovo (monumental political decision because it sets an incredibly important precedent for, say, Georgia) is a veto threat by 5 member states, none of whom are the Germans, French or British.

You are probably unaware of the fact that Slovenia is blocking Croatian accession due to a border dispute nobody else gives a toss about. The rest all want the Croats in.

You are likely to be unfamiliar with the reason that a trade agreement with Serbia is on hold. Nobody else gives a damn, but the Netherlands wants full cooperation with the ICTY before handing over any goodies.

I could go on, if you want more examples of major policy decisions being influenced by smaller countries?
Reply 17
They is.
Reply 18
countries like Poland are a burden on countries like the UK, Germany and France.

My taxpayers money goes straight into Poland, Romania and Bulgarians pocket. we get nothing out of the EU apart from ridiculous laws and free traade (which we dont need the EU for).

Former ex soviet bloc countries are charity cases that are thriving on the handouts that the UK throws at them.
Reply 19
Economically:
Russia although outside the EU is growing rapidly; it will never be quite USSR strong but it will be formidable.

Within the EU Spain is likely to overtake Italy, and is closing the gap on France.

Politically:
The German French alliance is about closer integration, and leads that front.

The UK is more closely aligned with the east Europeans, Danes, and others in opposing that.

Latest

Trending

Trending