The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

How did RHUL go from being 8th to 15. Cannot show this table to my mother given UCL is at 5 and she tried valiantly to persuade me to accept the transfer offer there. :frown:

Boohoo - Er have no regrets whatsoever!
Reply 2
where's birmingham? :frown:

i had an offer from leeds as well, but i thought it was of a lower standard. i know that league tables are often a load of bull, but i'm slightly worried that bham isn't even in the top 20!
Reply 3
don't worry about it, i wouldn't take it too seriously, the fact is you're doing an english degree at a good red brick university, and thats all that matters!
Yeah, a 3rd or 2:2 from Oxford won't impress anyone
Reply 5
Woo, Cardiff's 12th
I'm happy with my choice- but I won't show my mum the league table because as well as being rejected by two of the top three, the other two places I rejected are both ranked higher than my firm choice, lol. Oh well! As long as I'm happy, it's all good!!
Reply 7
RachelBabyfrog
I'm happy with my choice- but I won't show my mum the league table because as well as being rejected by two of the top three, the other two places I rejected are both ranked higher than my firm choice, lol. Oh well! As long as I'm happy, it's all good!!

Nottingham's one of the best unis around for English. No matter what league tables say!

(It doesnt make me feel a bit better about rejecting Exeter though :wink:)
All the unis are I applied to are in there, but quite a few straggling at the bottom lol.

It's weird, I saw a recent league table somewhere else and it was very different.

I guess at the end of the day it depends how well you as an individual work and therefore legaue tables are fairly useless to students themselves lol.
Boo, Kent were 8th last year and now they're not on there :frown:
Reply 10
Ooh Edinburgh's 9th...could be worse :smile:
Reply 11
I don't hold much sway in this type of thing to be honest- my uni wasn't even in the top 20 for English when I went at first. I just went because the uni felt right and I knew I would love it. And my gut feeling was right- I went on to really be inspired by St Andrews.

On the other hand, my high school was always uber high up in national league tables but I didn't like it all that much! :biggrin:

Focus on what YOU think of the uni, not what papers do--none of them ever agree anyway! If you compare th eTimes, the Guardian, the Torygraph etc...their rankings of universities NEVER coincide. I mean, if they did a ranking of sexy guys, would you want to fancy someone from the top 5?

I personally would marry Colin Firth tomorrow, whether or not anyone else fancies him! :wink:
Reply 12
Torygraph - love it!
Reply 13
katebush
I don't hold much sway in this type of thing to be honest- my uni wasn't even in the top 20 for English when I went at first. I just went because the uni felt right and I knew I would love it. And my gut feeling was right- I went on to really be inspired by St Andrews.

On the other hand, my high school was always uber high up in national league tables but I didn't like it all that much! :biggrin:

Focus on what YOU think of the uni, not what papers do--none of them ever agree anyway! If you compare th eTimes, the Guardian, the Torygraph etc...their rankings of universities NEVER coincide. I mean, if they did a ranking of sexy guys, would you want to fancy someone from the top 5?

I personally would marry Colin Firth tomorrow, whether or not anyone else fancies him! :wink:

My thoughts exactly and jolly well said. Well on the education bit, not Colin Firth obviously. :p:
Reply 14
mousey
Torygraph - love it!

Come on you know it should be called the TORYgraph officially :biggrin: :cool:

hahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Reply 15
4th...what is the world coming 2
Reply 16
Waldo

I know, i bet cambridge arent very happy with that!

I know Lboro is no where near the top 20 for English but i liked the uni and the sound of the course above Kent (who WERE in the top ten but have seemed to have since vanished!) At the end of the day, league tables are just a handful of peoples opinion, there should be a student board who go round rating the departments!
Waldo

Yeah but believe me, I'd still ditch my offer from York for one from Cams no matter what the league table says. Having said that it's still good to see York doing well. :smile:
Reply 18
englishstudent
Yeah but believe me, I'd still ditch my offer from York for one from Cams no matter what the league table says. Having said that it's still good to see York doing well. :smile:

i wouldn't!
sophieD
i wouldn't!

Each to their own. I know which I'd enjoy more (academically).

Latest

Trending

Trending