Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

installing Microsoft Office on dell mini 10 netbook

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just got my mini 10 netbook yesterday and am looking to install Microsoft Office (student version) on it, but obviously it doesn't have a CD/DVD drive...

Could somebody please give me an idiot's guide to installing the software on the netbook? It's just i've only got 1 installation left on the software and so don't want to mess this up!

Thankyou
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can you get a hold of an external drive that can plug in by USB?

You could also try downloading the trial version http://trial.trymicrosoftoffice.com/...&culture=en-GB then entering your key when it expires, don't know how it being the student version would affect it though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i hace a hard-core usb thing - it's 4GB i think, would that do it?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChloeGsy)
    What? You have a USB memory stick? No that has nothing to do with this if that's what you meant. I would try downloading that trial and entering your product key.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You should be able to rip the installation files off the disc (basically create an ISO of the file), and transfer them to your netbook. Then create a virtual drive on your Mini 10, the mount ISO and voila.

If you don't know what half the things I just said meant, then it would be easier (but take longer) to download the trial from microsoft's site, install the trial version, then enter your key. I haven't tried this before though, so not sure if it works for student activations...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by White Zenith)
    You should be able to rip the installation files off the disc (basically create an ISO of the file), and transfer them to your netbook. Then create a virtual drive on your Mini 10, the mount ISO and voila.

If you don't know what half the things I just said meant, then it would be easier (but take longer) to download the trial from microsoft's site, install the trial version, then enter your key. I haven't tried this before though, so not sure if it works for student activations...
    It's the student version trial that I have linked to so it should work ok.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    you can download it from microsoft and then use your product key to activate it
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rian1988)
    It's the student version trial that I have linked to so it should work ok.
    ah sorry i didn't actually check the link
    so it should work fine then
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just got my mini 10 netbook yesterday and am looking to install Microsoft Office (student version) on it, but obviously it doesn't have a CD/DVD drive...

Could somebody please give me an idiot's guide to installing the software on the netbook? It's just i've only got 1 installation left on the software and so don't want to mess this up!

Thankyou
    Copy and paste from the CD to a usb drive.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    the trial/product key thing sounds easiest, does this definitely work?
    so i just download the student trial and enter my product key?

thankyou for all the replies!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    the trial/product key thing sounds easiest, does this definitely work?
    so i just download the student trial and enter my product key?

thankyou for all the replies!
    Should work, let us know how you get on.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rian1988)
    Can you get a hold of an external drive that can plug in by USB?

You could also try downloading the trial version http://trial.trymicrosoftoffice.com/...&culture=en-GB then entering your key when it expires, don't know how it being the student version would affect it though.
    Very helpful,

+rep
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I did mine via USB stick, as my internet wasn't working, but if you go to the MS website you can install word without the disc, using just the activation code.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: August 10, 2009
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.