The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Sparkzz
How do I contact the A&E services etc.

I want to start volunteer work as I'm 15 years old. I was wondering how should I contact A&E services, and surgeons etc.

Thanks
I imagine the internet can provide you with the relevant number for your local hospital. I doubt you'd get experience in A&E, though, beyond shadowing. And that if you're very lucky.

A word of advice: if you're that keen on medicine, go in person. Talk to the receptionists, they can direct you to the person involved with work experience. But either way, being there in person is probably going to be more use than a phone conversation.
Reply 2
Demon_AS
I imagine the internet can provide you with the relevant number for your local hospital. I doubt you'd get experience in A&E, though, beyond shadowing. And that if you're very lucky.

A word of advice: if you're that keen on medicine, go in person. Talk to the receptionists, they can direct you to the person involved with work experience. But either way, being there in person is probably going to be more use than a phone conversation.

i can shadow plenty of doctors because my dad is one :smile:
and another question i've actually been to pakistan twice for charity work and helped a eye doctor during surgery, would that count as work experience?
Reply 3
Sparkzz
i can shadow plenty of doctors because my dad is one :smile:
and another question i've actually been to pakistan twice for charity work and helped a eye doctor during surgery, would that count as work experience?
Anything you've seen and done in the medical field counts as experience.

The skill is writing it in your personal statement and then mentioning what you LEARNED from it. After all, the medical schools only want to know what YOU have gained from your experience... not just how much you've done.
Reply 4
Get one of those joke shop 'through your head' arrows, go to your local hospital 'bleeding' and screaming in 'pain' and you'll get rushed through the A&E queues. Then, once the doctors realise it was all a scam, reveal your true intentions. Guaranteed they'll all be impressed by your dedication. :yy:
Reply 5
Erm, I was doing work experience this holiday in a hospital.

For the hospital I was at, you had to be 17 to do work experience in A & E. Don't know if that was just a hospital-specific policy or applies everywhere. =\
Reply 6
EskimoJo
Get one of those joke shop 'through your head' arrows, go to your local hospital 'bleeding' and screaming in 'pain' and you'll get rushed through the A&E queues. Then, once the doctors realise it was all a scam, reveal your true intentions. Guaranteed they'll all be impressed by your dedication. :yy:

LOL you bored?
Reply 7
Sarky
LOL you bored?

looks like it :mad:
lool
Reply 8
EskimoJo
Nicely trolled :yy: :p:.

It was amusing, I'll give you that much lol.
Reply 9
Sparkzz
looks like it :mad:
lool

It's ok it's alright...

I've been on TSR too long today jeez I need to get out.

Contact the volunteer co-ordinator at your hospital but at 15 you probably won't get much.
Reply 10
Reply 11
Sarky
LOL you bored?

I have been on TSR since I woke up, except for when I bathed, when I went to get my hair relaxed and during Big Brother. :sigh:
Yes, I am bored. Sorry OP!
Reply 12
azhao

Lol!!!!!! That was my other 'I am bored' option! :rofl: :biggrin:
Sakildo
Erm, I was doing work experience this holiday in a hospital.

For the hospital I was at, you had to be 17 to do work experience in A & E. Don't know if that was just a hospital-specific policy or applies everywhere. =\

18 here, consider yourself lucky.
Im 18 and still havent found a hospital within 40miles of me that will let me volunteer or shadow in A&E shame as its currently where i think i wanna work eventually. In both durham and sunderland you have to be 16 to volunteer

Latest

Trending

Trending