The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

first 2..just get used to it, ..and the last 2, smile..have a joke and fill in the clinical incident form with the fresh knowledge the people its going to get sent too won't give a damn
I'd hope being punched is a rarity, unless every person who stumbles into A&E is heavily intoxicated :p:
Reply 3
I think the first two can be covered by babysitting a very young kid.
Alex-R
I think the first two can be covered by babysitting a very young kid.

lol maybe the last two aswell!
Reply 5
Toiletpaper8
I'd hope being punched is a rarity, unless every person who stumbles into A&E is heavily intoxicated :p:
On a Saturday night? Quite possible... :rolleyes:

I've never been in any of those situations (well, apart from the vomit one with certain friends after certain boat club events...), so dunno. I do remember a lecturer saying that everyone on her firm was allowed one bodily fluid they could refuse to deal with ... have yet to decide what I'd chose, thoughts?
Madprof

I've never been in any of those situations (well, apart from the vomit one with certain friends after certain boat club events...), so dunno. I do remember a lecturer saying that everyone on her firm was allowed one bodily fluid they could refuse to deal with ... have yet to decide what I'd chose, thoughts?

what year are you in? Im sure you must have come across with a little bit of poop or someone feeling sick, and a little bit coming up

phlegm gets to me...and very smelly runny poo, still makes me gag a bit, especially someone coughing up phlegm and you're panicing to find the pot, and the person expects you to hold it under them..and they cough on your hand, and even though you have gloves on you can still feel it running down, ugh im gagging at the thought
Reply 7
Don't rise it up to it, not a medic i know, but my sister is a police officer and says when people are being up at you the thing that annoys them most is being nice and polite, they want a reaction.

And if that fails, floor them and wait for security :wink:
Reply 8
Subcutaneous
what year are you in? Im sure you must have come across with a little bit of poop or someone feeling sick, and a little bit coming up

phlegm gets to me...and very smelly runny poo, still makes me gag a bit, especially someone coughing up phlegm and you're panicing to find the pot, and the person expects you to hold it under them..and they cough on your hand, and even though you have gloves on you can still feel it running down, ugh im gagging at the thought

I'm in third year, my course is very traditional so until I start clinicals (in a month! yay!) I won't have had much patient contact, just a dozen or so afternoons sitting in on GPs' consultations.

Diarrhoea would probably be my worst, yuk! Phlegm I don't find so bad (until your description!), I think it's the smelly stuff that'll get me.
Madprof
I'm in third year, my course is very traditional so until I start clinicals (in a month! yay!) I won't have had much patient contact, just a dozen or so afternoons sitting in on GPs' consultations.

Diarrhoea would probably be my worst, yuk! Phlegm I don't find so bad (until your description!), I think it's the smelly stuff that'll get me.

ohhhh, wow. lol i thought phlegm would be a walk in the park too...but its the sound of them bringing it up, the sound of someone heaving isn't nice either!
I'm not great with pooh lol
I've dealt with it in the past, but don't like it so much.
Blood, urine, vomit; all gravy for me :yes:
I'm used to being spat at and punched by my older brother...

And I'm not really bothered by blood, piss, vomit etc. S'all good.
Reply 12
Surely_unsure
Hopeful applicants, how do you deal with poop, vomit and being spat at and punched?

sounds like my job currently :p:
Reply 13
Madprof

I was an ambulance man a few years ago. I was told if you go to a job after 10.00 at night and no-one is pissed, keep looking because you have missed someone...
Reply 14
Madprof

blood - you'll get loads of time off
Reply 15
cannyeinstein
Blood, urine, vomit; all gravy for me :yes:

ewwww!
:yum: :puke: :p:
I can deal with all of them reasonably well except for being punched (I don't take too kindly to that i'm afraid)

Having said that - i've yet to experience any of them properly in a clinical setting
Reply 17
Subcutaneous

It's not so much this that gets me (I can deal with it fine really) it's the not being able to 'pull faces' about it for fear of insulting/ upsetting the patient. Most self control ever.
Surely_unsure
Hopeful applicants, how do you deal with poop, vomit and being spat at and punched?

poop - nose becomes desensitised, lots of gloves, lots of wipes and lots of clinical waste bags. and a lot of patience if it's an old person especially. obese, immobile and poop = nightmare

vomit - pass them a bowl/not a problem.

spat at - not happened yet. attempted kiss, yes!

punched - not happened

as a dr you'd have to deal with some bodily fluids, but afaik it seems nursing staff get the yuckier jobs wrt these things
I know this is vet related, but what I didn't like was feeling and seeing coagulated milk in a calf's stomach in dissection. Also, maggots in a horses stomach and intestines.
Poo and vomit don't usually affect me though.

Latest

Trending

Trending