The Student Room Group

Interview questions???

Hello everyone. I'm a prospective medical student but I have a few questions concerning the application process.:confused:

Firstly, are interviews essential for all medical schools? Does anyone know any schools that do not require interviews? This question is based purely out of curiosity, I don't think the interviews are too much of a big deal.:yes:

Also, what kind of questions are applicants usually asked? I know the general ones like: "Why medicine?", "what are your strengths? etc" but I was having a chat with my older brother about his friends who were applying to medicine and they were preparing for all kinds of random questions that are apparently usually asked e.g. "your friend has been missing for more than a week, you go to her house and find her staring at a blank TV, what do you do next?" Do these questions really count or is my brother purposely freaking me out????:woo: :woo: :eek3: :eek3:
Reply 1
no interviews: soton/e.burgh
or apply as intl student
Reply 2
taigan
Hello everyone. I'm a prospective medical student but I have a few questions concerning the application process.

Firstly, are interviews essential for all medical schools? Does anyone know any schools that do not require interviews? This question is based purely out of curiosity, I don't think the interviews are too much of a big deal.

Also, what kind of questions are applicants usually asked? I know the general ones like: "Why medicine?", "what are your strengths? etc" but I was having a chat with my older brother about his friends who were applying to medicine and they were preparing for all kinds of random questions that are apparently usually asked e.g. "your friend has been missing for more than a week, you go to her house and find her staring at a blank TV, what do you do next?" Do these questions really count or is my brother purposely freaking me out????

There's a big list of potential questions in the wiki (links can be found either in the useful resources section at the top of the forum or in the pink FAQ in the announcements (also at the top of the forum).

I was asked a question very similar to the friend staring at a blank TV one and know that one has been used in the past as well.
Reply 3
Hygeia

I was asked a question very similar to the friend staring at a blank TV one and know that one has been used in the past as well.

What did you say back to that? :eek:
Reply 4
Do not click on the spoiler!

I'm sure there's a wiki of questions anyway?

Spoiler

Reply 5
Dave129
What did you say back to that?

My scenario was to do with a friend who'd been missing all week and I find them staring out at the river looking like they're going to jump.

I talked about trying to talk to them, find out what they were doing there, what was wrong. Trying to calmly move them away from the river. This lead on to discussing the various options of support available at the university: the mentoring system, the counselling service and the personal advisors.
Reply 6
Examples include:

• Are you rich?
• How many of your family are doctors?
• how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
jonnyofengland

how many chucks could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

:confused: isnt it how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?? :confused:
Reply 8
spacepirate-James
:confused: isnt it how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?? :confused:

Whatever you do, don't correct the interviewer when he asks you. It will only cause a terrible atmosphere.

(Time for an edit for the correct version, before I mislead some applicants methinks... :ninja:)
jonnyofengland
Whatever you do, don't correct the interviewer when he asks you. It will only cause a terrible atmosphere.

haha...apparently a little birdie told me thats one of the best ways to get a place if you're actually right :p:
spacepirate-James
haha...apparently a little birdie told me thats one of the best ways to get a place if you're actually right :p:

And if you're wrong it's one of the quickest ways for the trapdoor to open and your chair to fall down into blackness... to be asked to leave. :flute:
yeah, I dont think I would ever correct an interviewer :s-smilie:
jonnyofengland
And if you're wrong it's one of the quickest ways for the trapdoor to open and your chair to fall down into blackness... to be asked to leave. :flute:

:ninja: the dark dark pit of failed applicants, whence no one has returned......apparently the ones in cambridge have a shark tank as well..........
Reply 13
lol thanx for the help guys... and the randomness.
Good to kno that medic students can still have fun!
spacepirate-James
:ninja: the dark dark pit of failed applicants, whence no one has returned

Otherwise known as dentistry. :teeth:
Reply 15
jonnyofengland
Otherwise known as dentistry. :teeth:

lol rep for u!

Latest

Trending

Trending