The Student Room Group

What % of Scottish people have watched Braveheart?

This poll is closed

What % of Scottish people have watched Braveheart? (do you reckon)

0-24%9%
25-49%9%
50-74%0%
75-100%82%
Total votes: 11
Would you say it is considered THE NATIONAL FILM in Scotland?

Were people like Robert the Bruce just as well known amongst all sectors of the population beforehand?

It would be interesting to see if films like 'Joan of Arc' and 'Mangal Pandey' were just as widely watched in France and India respectively.

Don't you think that the plots of Braveheart, Mangal Pandey and Joan of Arc are pretty similar?

squish.
Reply 1
xps.systems
Would you say it is considered THE NATIONAL FILM in Scotland?

No. More like Canada and certain areas of the USA.
Reply 2
It's a terrible film.
It's not historically accurate.
If people regard this film to relate to any aspect of modern Scottish(British) life, they're idiots.
Everyone I know has seen it and apparantly my distant relative fought alongside william wallance. As a scot im very patriotic so anything scottish I love :smile:
:rofl:
Reply 5
Joy Division
:rofl:

what is so funny? Have you watched Braveheart?

squish.
Reply 6
katierattray
Everyone I know has seen it and apparantly my distant relative fought alongside william wallance. As a scot im very patriotic so anything scottish I love :smile:

Just out of interest how many times have you watched Braveheart?

I bet some people here have watched it over 5 times - but are afraid to admit it.

squish.
xps.systems
Just out of interest how many times have you watched Braveheart?

I bet some people here have watched it over 5 times - but are afraid to admit it.

squish.

about ten :o: lol Its really good.
Reply 8
I've watched it, but you've got to take it with a pinch of salt.
Reply 9
I've watched it a few times, didn't know until recently that my family was part of that same clan :biggrin: As with most movies you can't trust it to be historically correct

BTW it probably would be best to make a regular poll and have scot non scot and no as answers and see the percent yourself
Reply 10
When I did History at school we had lessons dedicated to nitpicking the historical inaccuracies so I'd wager people are trying to shed the image of it being a 'national film'

That aside, as a piece of entertainment it's very overrated and I find it despairing that it won the Best Picture Oscar. In the story, it suggests the reason for Wallace rebelling was a soldier slitting the throat of his bird. But later we see him getting it on with a French princess. And the way the English and Scottish characters interact is laughable, at times it's like pantomime on celluloid. On the other hand, I felt Gibson's performance was very good - I've lived here my whole life and still can't pull off a Scottish accent.
Reply 11
I like the film, but I think it just emphasises the old "Scots hate the english" thing, which is just a load of poo really. Fair enough, you'll still get your "I hate english" folk, but it works both ways sometimes.
Reply 12
LuhLah
I like the film, but I think it just emphasises the old "Scots hate the english" thing, which is just a load of poo really. Fair enough, you'll still get your "I hate english" folk, but it works both ways sometimes.

Just out of interest, do you know what the 'Auld Alliance' is?

squish.
xps.systems

squish.

Everyone knows that. It worked only one way though. The French got a lot more out of it than we did.

And almost everyone has seen Braveheart. Very weird not to. I watch it maybe 3 or 4 times a year. Maybe slightly more. By far my most watched film. Love it. I don't really care about historical accuracy, I want to be entertained not educated. Also why is it mostly Braveheart that gets the historical accuracy ****? Its a fictional movie loosely based on fact. It's not trying to be a documentary.
Reply 14
xps.systems

squish.

Isn't that the thing about scotland and france teaming up against england?
Reply 15
wilko1991
Everyone knows that. It worked only one way though. The French got a lot more out of it than we did.

And almost everyone has seen Braveheart. Very weird not to. I watch it maybe 3 or 4 times a year. Maybe slightly more. By far my most watched film. Love it. I don't really care about historical accuracy, I want to be entertained not educated. Also why is it mostly Braveheart that gets the historical accuracy ****? Its a fictional movie loosely based on fact. It's not trying to be a documentary.

You're right there is a double standard. I can recall my Dad slagging off Braveheart over the history issue while watching King Arthur.
Reply 16
bumpety-bump.

squish.

Latest