The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you enjoy it, then go for it! I must say that it does take up a lot of time, but I didn't find it that hard like real work because I like art, so I found it quite fun. You just have to make sure that you stick to the assessment objectives to ensure that you have done each section of the project well :smile:
Oh yeah and annotate loads :biggrin: I just made up a load of rubbish about what I felt about the piece and that :smile:
Reply 2
I did Art GCSE and I loved it :-D if you like Art and are willing to do the work I reccomend going for it.
If you really enjoy it, go for it! But note the high grade boundaries for an A* :s-smilie:
Reply 4
Elsiebean
Hi I am in year 9 and i have to decide whether to do art GCSE or not.:s-smilie: I am a moderate artist especially in sculptures and i am prepared to do the work so just any tips or experiance would be helpful.
Thanks Elsiebean

It does take a lot of time, just don't leave the your journal work until the last week. Spread the work out evenly throughout the term and it will work well with other subjects.The art exam is earlier than your other exams (it is in April). You start the final piece research in January and you will start a new sketchbook and fill in as much is needed for research.
Stick to first hand research, such as using your own photo's that you took and not internet images, you can use a few, but first hand will get the high grades.
When reaerching artists, avoid writing loads about pointless stuff. It is better to have 100 words of analytical views of the actual work instead of 500 words talking about what art school they went to and what they had to eat for breakfast.
Do work you enjoy and try new things to find your artistic strengths!
I'm currently failing art GCSE , but why ? Because :

- Takes up to much time to complete a good piece of work , leaving you with no social life.
- You start to neglect other courseworks just to get ART done
- I have a crap teacher + class

If you're good at art , and enjoy it , then go ahead. But make sure you don't falll behind or you'll stay behind.
Reply 6
it depends what kind of art, i did AQA Fine Art and hated it, i'm really good at art and do love to draw, but art gcse just sucked all my enjoyment out of it. i'd draw something, be really creative, then you'd have to add patterns into the drawing, then collage the same drawing with tissue paper.. it just dragged on and onnnnn

but then people from other schools seemed to do very little work for an art GCSE in comparison to mine, they would admit this themselves. i think they did the art gcse that 'Ooo Yeah' (they've commented above me) did because that involves annotating and learning the background to art.

fine art deffo pulled down my other grades because of the sheer amount of work involved, if it's fine art, nobody i know would recommend it.
Reply 7
If you enjoy it I would recommend it highly, it does take a lot of time but it really doesn't feel like working, it's a few hours a week where you can just relax, which is always helpful when stressing out.

I think the best thing for you to do is look at sketchbooks and final pieces that are of a good quality and try and take inspiration. Also, link your work to an artist that is the same style to you, that alwayyys gets good marks :smile:
Reply 8
I have lots of friends who took art GCSE. It's not particularly difficult if you're good at it but it is loads of work so if you're serious about it try not to take too many other subjects which have lots of coursework or extended projects involved.
Maximum Velocity
I'm currently failing art GCSE , but why ? Because :

- Takes up to much time to complete a good piece of work , leaving you with no social life.
- You start to neglect other courseworks just to get ART done
- I have a crap teacher + class

If you're good at art , and enjoy it , then go ahead. But make sure you don't falll behind or you'll stay behind.

This. Minus the last statement. I had good teachers, there was just faaaaaaarrrrr too much work and it made me loathe the subject. I took it because it was something I was good at and I enjoyed it, but just be prepared to put a lot of extra time into it. I was always staying behind after school in the art room putting in extra time on stuff.
Reply 10
I did it and hated the coursework. We were really lucky with the last project though it was "I Me Mine" it was so much fun! My book was full of pictures of me with family and friends and all the things I liked. I loved it! But other projects were really not fun and I hated all the work. I'd still say go for it though! Don't let your coursework pile up though!

Also, I think I failed Art but I'm just not good at it aha!
gravityisamyth
This. Minus the last statement. I had good teachers, there was just faaaaaaarrrrr too much work and it made me loathe the subject. I took it because it was something I was good at and I enjoyed it, but just be prepared to put a lot of extra time into it. I was always staying behind after school in the art room putting in extra time on stuff.

Yeah , I enjoyed it at the start and was motivated , but the work were doing is homo. I like drawing landscapes , and buildings and loadszaaa shizzle , but were doing shells , and some gay artists. Sorry for the bad language.

As she said make sure you put the time and effort in :smile:.
Reply 12
No, please don't.

You have to be prepared to do the heap loads of work (which is not only doing the actual artwork it self but analysing and all the boring stuff). Even exceptional artists in my class were finding it hard to get much higher than a B. The teacher also has to be very good unlike the teacher we had.

If you do choose to do it - good luck.
Reply 13
If you like Art, still be very skeptical about picking the subject, most people who was in my year and picked art struggled to keep up with the amount of deadlines and coursework. It really is a handful, staying after school for like most of the year. Just make sure you like the Art teacher you will get and your prepared to put in more effort in other subjects to limit the drag down from Art CW. Other than that good luck in whatever you chose.
Reply 14
Depends, I told myself I could keep up with the work, I couldn't hence the E, if you can keep up with the work and really love it then go for it but it is a lot of work.
i did gcse aqa fine art, easiest subject out of my 11. i did close to no work and i'm near to getting an a* lol
supercoolfred
i did gcse aqa fine art, easiest subject out of my 11. i did close to no work and i'm near to getting an a* lol

I struggle to believe this anecdote. Which leads me to the question: how?
Reply 17
supercoolfred

Nice, how did you find the coursework load?
I did AQA art I found it boring because my teacher made us do lots of artist research but I did get an A* though.
Reply 19
Did anyone struggle with Edexcel art GCSE ? thanks :bubbles:

Latest