The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Normally because they aren't as good as they think they are; that frame of mind is often accompanied by aggression and dismissal of others' opinions as well.
Reply 2
Arrogance is a facade which collapses when pushed. Confidence is the real thing, and decent people generally do like and respect confidence.

The sort of people who condemn confidence (which they often mislabel as arrogance) are, as you suggest, at the very least insecure. It's usually something in themselves that they don't like.
I honestly don't mind arrogance. I think it can be quite endearing sometimes. Arrogant people are often quite interesting, when you look at their public persona and then you get to know them properly. I think I'm in a minority from talking to friends about this, but yeah. Hmm.
Arrogant people aren't liked because they think that they are superior and better then everyone else.....it doesn't really have anything to do with confidence..
Reply 5
There is much confusion between confidence and arrogance.
Confident people - there is nothing wrong with knowing how good you are at something and not being scared to admit it.
Arrogant people - there is something wrong with being aggressive and insulting because you 'perhaps' know more than someone else.
Reply 6
I don't know

just cos i'm better than them
Reply 7
Personally, I think a tiny little bit of arrogance is needed to get through life - like u have to be confident enough to know you are good at whatever you're good at. Sometimes, people push this too far and overinflate claims which is when it becomes annoying.
They make me feel inferior :sad:
Hmm, but to be honest it is so frequently mixed up i mean in clubs etc i hear people say ohh that guy is so arrogant, and ends up getting many hot women and not scared too talk to him etc..Yes he is arrogant but probably because he is confident enough to talk to the women and pull..
Preeka
Personally, I think a tiny little bit of arrogance is needed to get through life - like u have to be confident enough to know you are good at whatever you're good at. Sometimes, people push this too far and overinflate claims which is when it becomes annoying.

I agree, i see people thinking about applying for a job and them saying, nah i don't think i'd be able to do it. but maybe if you were a little more arrogant you'd believe you'd be able to do it which you probably can etc..
Reply 11
I used to hate anyone who came across as remotely arrogant - I saw it very much as an attitude which came with an 'I'm better than other people' outlook.
However, in the past year or so I've noticed that I come across as arrogant myself. I certainly don't think I'm better than anyone else, but I DO think I'm a great person. It's harder to distinguish the two than I first thought...
Confidence is fine but arrogance isn't :girl:
Reply 13
Good question, they are just irritating
I think the line that draws the limit between arrogance/cockiness and confidence is the ability to prove one's point. For example, a doctor who speaks confidently about plastic surgery is not going to look arrogant, because he's managed to prove he's qualified and experienced. If however, someone starts talking politics very fiercely and proves themselves misinformed, then they will look arrogant. We don't like arrogant people because they indirectly disrespect real skill, knowledge and talent and attempt to fake those.
Reply 15
:dontknow:
the.white.rabbit
Arrogant people aren't liked because they think that they are superior and better then everyone else.....it doesn't really have anything to do with confidence..

Can white rabbits read the minds of us people?

Everyone thinks they are superior to someone else. If you didn't think you were good enough, you wouldn't apply for a job you know is in high demand. I find that most people who are labelled 'arrogant' are actually not so, but are misread and merely want to enlighten people with the knowledge they have and use it for good means. There's a way to show people your knowledge in a charismatic way, some people are just not very good at that.
Reply 17
Flying Cookie
I think the line that draws the limit between arrogance/cockiness and confidence is the ability to prove one's point. For example, a doctor who speaks confidently about plastic surgery is not going to look arrogant, because he's managed to prove he's qualified and experienced. If however, someone starts talking politics very fiercely and proves themselves misinformed, then they will look arrogant. We don't like arrogant people because they indirectly disrespect real skill, knowledge and talent and attempt to fake those.

I'd not really consider that arrogance. Surely that's just having a strong opinion on something, but not having all the details?
That person would surely only be arrogant if they claimed to know everything about the subject.
Altruistic1

Everyone thinks they are superior to someone else. If you didn't think you were good enough, you wouldn't apply for a job you know is in high demand. I find that most people who are labelled 'arrogant' are actually not so, but are misread and merely want to enlighten people with the knowledge they have and use it for good means. There's a way to show people your knowledge in a charismatic way, some people are just not very good at that.

Yeah people may think that they are better then people for certain things..like a job, which you mentioned...but "arrogant" people are those who don't just think that they are better then someone for a certain thing but just overall think they are better then you in every way and feel that they are superior and everyone else is inferior to them.
"Can white rabbits read the minds of us people?" - 'us' , so you think of yourself as arrogant??
There is a difference between confidence and arrogance :yes:

Altruistic1

I actually agree with you...to an extent. I believe all successful people possess that narcissistic streak somewhat. And a lot of the time, it's envy that labels such people as arrogant

Latest