The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
eugenia99093
Not long ago. hey, im serious. Well, at least i can tell from my own experience. I was studying in Perth and that's why i quit then heading to UK this september.

That's rather backward isn't it :eek: Does stuff like that happen a lot over there?
I've been in England for 6 yrs now and i havent experienced any major forms of racism. Given that, the area i live in is predominantly occupied by afro-carribeans so anyone with racist views generally keeps it to themselves. However, I agree that racism works both ways; most of the time this is manifest as prejudices. Some of my friends have stereotypical images about white or asian people but beyond that, there's nothing else. They still easily befriend other people of those other races. As for the lack of coverage of minority against majority racist attacks, while that is true and seems unfair, i also think its necessary to an extent simply because the majority is the majority and the minority is the minority.
Anthrax
New Labour's definition of racism would probably be something along the lines of this "White Christian and Jewish people telling the truth about Muslims. Muslims and Blacks are exempt from committing racism because they make this lovely, pink, fluffy multicultural society we live in."

The stark reality is, love, that anti-Semitic racism and anti-White racism figures are through the roof but the BBC - New Labour's tool of propaganda - will have you believe that Muslims and Blacks are suffering terribly.

Why do you think that the Anthony Walker murder got so much coverage? Finally, the BBC has "white extremists" to balance out the "muslim extremists" and thus further defend the most protected minority on the planet.

As with the Kris Donald murder, the murder of Richard Whelan was thrown to the back burners.

Racist black-perpetrated murders such as this also went unnoticed to protect this wonderful multicultural society we live in.

I find it rich that New Labour criticizes the BNP for "exploiting" the Islamist-perpetrated bombings on 7/7, yet at the same time, New Labour and the BBC openly use these atrocities to promote their multicultural lie.

One of the lies about how it's a tiny handful of extremists neatly exploded in their faces though on 21/7, when MORE Muslims tried to blow up trains and busses.

BTW, telling the truth is no defense in this country either. Nick Griffin was arrested and will be tried soon for saying there will be attacks and they will probably come from asylum seekers or, quote, "second-generation Pakistanis from somewhere like Bradford".

The quasi-Mugabe Anthony Charles Lynton Blair regime, indeed, is neither a nice one nor a fair one.

That's the thing I really can't stand- the double standards. All racists are scum, not just white racists. Omar Bakri Mohammed and co have been free to spit their bile for God knows how long now and have even had police protection to do it, yet Nick Griffin says something bad about Muslims and is promptly arrested. Racism works both ways and it's about time the government, the police and the courts faced up to that.
Reply 43
Featherflare
i also think its necessary to an extent simply because the majority is the majority and the minority is the minority.

What great reasoning... :rolleyes:
Anthrax
What great reasoning... :rolleyes:

I was hoping you'd understand what i meant but i guess it wasn't very clear. I'll keep it strictly statistical, there are more cases of majority v minority racism and therefore there is a greater importance to change the views of the majority than that of the minority. While minority v majority is in no way more acceptable, as it is less common, it is less important. As for the media, they always blow everything out of proportion so this is nothing new
Lord Ramroff
That's rather backward isn't it :eek: Does stuff like that happen a lot over there?

Well, even things that happened a month ago also considered as backward? Or you want it to be happened like once a week so will be seen as "updated"? Ok,back to your qestion. I don't know does it consider as 'a lot' if compared to other countries but at least every international student over there can tell one or two that happened on them.
Reply 46
eugenia99093
Well, even things that happened a month ago also considered as backward? Or you want it to be happened like once a week so will be seen as "updated"? Ok,back to your qestion. I don't know does it consider as 'a lot' if compared to other countries but at least every international student over there can tell one or two that happened on them.

you misunderstood me. i meant backward in the way that i didnt expect such things to happen in a modern country like australia.
maybe in the 60s, but not in the 00s :wink:
Reply 47
Featherflare
I was hoping you'd understand what i meant but i guess it wasn't very clear. I'll keep it strictly statistical, there are more cases of majority v minority racism and therefore there is a greater importance to change the views of the majority than that of the minority. While minority v majority is in no way more acceptable, as it is less common, it is less important. As for the media, they always blow everything out of proportion so this is nothing new

Lies, Lies and more Lies.

While minority v majority is in no way more acceptable, as it is less common, it is less important.

Lie.

I'll keep it strictly statistical, there are more cases of majority v minority racism

the truth
11.05.2002 16:15

In 1999, only 26% of reported racially motivated incidents were committed against ethnic minorities.

There were 150,000 reported racially motivated incidents, of which 39,000 were racist incidents against ethnic minorities and 111,000 were racist incidents against whites.

There were 192% more incidents against whites than against ethnic minorities in 1999.

( http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/pdfs/s95race00.pdf) (Page 57)

As a proportion of population - on the basis of one attacker per incident - and using 1999 population estimates
( http://www.statistics.gov.uk/ukin_figs/Data_population.asp)
0.07 percent of whites committed a race related crime in 1999 (49,000 as a percentage of 53,079,000)

3.03% percent of non-whites committed a race related crime in 1999 (111,000 as a percentage of 3,663,000)

Ethnic minorities are more prone to committing race crimes than whites - 43 times more prone. Is it logical therefore to blame the shortcomings of the multiracial society on "white racism"?

"The BBC is hideously white." Greg Dyke, BBC Director General and donor to the Labour Party.

"Newspapers have to sell in order to live; so does commercial TV. That leaves the BBC as the only truly public service medium in this country disseminating information, entertainment, and, in the case of race relations, propaganda. We are unashamed to admit it is what we are
doing." Gerry Hines, BBC Programme Organiser, in Race Today

Found here
Reply 48
TBH I find it a bit worrying that the original poster felt they had to ask how racist this country is.

In think a lot of the race problems are caused by the sizable minority of people who don't want to / refuse to intergrate with society.
Reply 49
smeets
TBH I find it a bit worrying that the original poster felt they had to ask how racist this country is.

In think a lot of the race problems are caused by the sizable minority of people who don't want to / refuse to intergrate with society.

Well, if that isn't a double-edged assumption, I don't know what is.
ramroff
you misunderstood me. i meant backward in the way that i didnt expect such things to happen in a modern country like australia.
maybe in the 60s, but not in the 00s :wink:

Hehe...got you :smile: It is really happened in modern days. Sigh..but what else can we do? All because of stereotypes... :rolleyes:
Reply 51
sorry to come in late in this..but from someone who knows it racism is rife in the uk
Reply 52
these two english junior boys spat on my friend and I when we were walking home from school. they called us "grannies" and threw mud at us which was very harsh. But ever since I called them "racist kids" they've stopped for a while. Now they have started again but not being racist and instead calling us "boffins" because we go to a good school. Very annoying indeed! :mad:
Griefia
Hey guys,
I'm coming to England this September to a boarding school... I was just wondering if people over there are racist. I heard from some of my friends that people are kind of racist in England. Just want your opinions... thanks!!
Griefia xxx

Depends. If you are black, you're most likely not to experience any racism, as people here are very aware and sensitive about it. If you are south asian(darker asian) then i'm sorry to say, that's quite likely. If you're east asian (eg: chinese), then you're probably going to experience some racism outiside school by some under- educated people who think that you're a cartoon character, but most likely not inside school.
priya
indians do it too- large communities referring to white people as "goras' ". they don't (usually) mean anything negative by it, because a negative connotation has never been attached to it.

True. lol. I think its kind of funny. but u must not forget that complexion is an issue with the ppl of the subcontinent. they all want to be white. they think they look better that way.
animefreak
these two english junior boys spat on my friend and I when we were walking home from school. they called us "grannies" and threw mud at us which was very harsh. But ever since I called them "racist kids" they've stopped for a while. Now they have started again but not being racist and instead calling us "boffins" because we go to a good school. Very annoying indeed! :mad:

LOL.
animefreak

LOL.
Reply 57
Divine89
sorry to come in late in this..but from someone who knows it racism is rife in the uk

It really is.

Andrew
Reply 58
andyukguy
It really is.

Andrew

Care to expand on that andy?
Reply 59
Which part confused you?

Andrew

Latest

Trending