The Student Room Group

Applying to study in the US from the UK

Ummmmm I do realise this has been done like a million times. Buuuuut I was wondering about studying in the US (like Brown or Berkeley) and I could do with some more help.

I really know nothing about the system... Obviously I'll need to do SATs, but which and when? Also would I need coaching for them? If I wanted to apply for the class of 2010 have I left everything a bit too late? As much of a long shot as it may be I was also wondering how easy scholarships are, or getting financial aid?

I just finished my A-Levels (awaiting results) and am now taking a gap year. All application advice would be reeeeaally appreciated! Anyone from the UK done this recently? Or thinking of? HELP!
You are in time for 2010 entry but get started with it now. Look first at the Fulbright Commission's US Educational Advisory Service (EAS) on www. fulbright.co.uk/eas. The site is a comprehensive guide to the 3,700 universities in the States, otherwise a daunting task. It covers admissions exams taken here, finding courses and funding (which can be scarce for foreign students) and offers useful links and one-to-one advisory sessions. The site can also point you to commercial services which will help you do the work. But the EAS says it is possible to do the research work on your own. You will still need to register and sit the SAT (standardised tests for college admissions) in the same way as other students. Which subjects depends to some extent on what you are hoping to read. Taking AP papers can also be helpful.
Reply 2
What are AP papers?
Reply 3
As far as I'm aware, taking AP exams in addition to your A-Levels is a waste of money and time. A-Levels are more difficult, anyway. You'll really only need to do either the ACT with Writing OR the SAT and (depending on where you're applying) two or three SAT IIs in subjects of your choice. The subject tests can be a bit redundant, but they're not hard.

If you're applying for the term starting Fall 2010, applications are due by January 2010 - you must have your exams done before then; if you go the SAT/SAT II route, you'll need to schedule two sessions (one for SAT, one for SAT IIs), so you'll need to check on the nearest exam dates as soon as possible. As long as you are comfortable with the subject matter, SAT IIs don't require any studying. For the SAT (or ACT) itself, I recommend purchasing a book of practice exams - it's a waste of money (and annoying) to pay for a tutor or study sessions or whatever. I just did a few (maybe 2-3) practice exams before my real SAT; if you know the format and when to guess and how the questions try to trick you, you'll do fine.

If you normally don't do too well on standardized tests because of pressure or what have you, or if you're just being cautious, I recommend sitting one of these exams with enough time to retake if you don't do as well as you'd like (so as soon as possible!).

I go to Brown so feel free to PM if you've got specific questions about the school.
AP = advanced placement

Latest

Trending

Trending