The Student Room Group
Reply 1
bagging groceries <-- your future.

You brought this on yourself by doing a mickey-mouse degree.
Reply 2
boredyay
im doing this course in uni. i studied it at alevel . im just worried about job prospects, i dont want to be a clinical psychologist, or a councelor kind of job, so what could i do? are there any post grad courses which lead to decent jobs?
i didnt find what i learned at alevel to be very useful, you learn alot of studies and all of them appear to be invalid.i also think psychological factors are very difficult to pinpoint because there isnt always proof.

i did well at it in alevel, i find it interesting but you know im just worried :s-smilie:

I agree with the A-Level being a bit useless. You learnt the whole study and couldn't apply the findings because they only used like 10 people. Surely the psychologists knew this before they began the study so why did they even bother?!
You could go in to teaching it? They even have it as a GCSE if you wouldn't want to teach A-Level.
Reply 3
ogloom

I hardly see how psychology is a mickey-mouse degree :confused:
I thought the title of this thread was 'plz pleasure me'. :awesome:

OP I think Psychology is a fine degree choice and I'm sure there are plenty of career prospects. You just need to do some research.
Reply 5
Uh oh.
fallen angel9

OP I think Psychology is a fine degree choice and I'm sure there are plenty of career prospects. You just need to do some research.

Me too!
Reply 7
fallen angel9

I thought it was plz measure me :facepalm2:
boredyay
im doing this course in uni. i studied it at alevel . im just worried about job prospects, i dont want to be a clinical psychologist, or a councelor kind of job, so what could i do? are there any post grad courses which lead to decent jobs?
i didnt find what i learned at alevel to be very useful, you learn alot of studies and all of them appear to be invalid.i also think psychological factors are very difficult to pinpoint because there isnt always proof.

i did well at it in alevel, i find it interesting but you know im just worried :s-smilie:

Well, what was the reason you chose Psych in the first place? What kind of things are you interested in?
Reply 9
ogloom

Psychology is a mickey-mouse degree? If I took heavy drugs, ate mushrooms and smelled your underwear whilst spinning around the fastest I could, at the same time, I would still not be able to see your point.
Ramanda
Psychology is a mickey-mouse degree? If I took heavy drugs, ate mushrooms and smelled your underwear whilst spinning around the fastest I could, at the same time, I would still not be able to see your point.

Don't feed the troll.
Reply 11
Ramanda

I lol'd

OP, don't worry. The very fact that you'll HAVE a degree will prove you're devoted, passionate, with good time management, and many more things employers are looking for.
Your degree doesn't have to be vocational to get a good job. Most people follow careers that are unrelated or only partially related to their university degree, anyway.
Masters degrees are for people who want to go into their subject of choice :yes:
Reply 12
Just study like hell and get a first, that'll prove your work ethic if nothing else.

Could you go into occupational/criminal/sports psych? It might also be useful in HR jobs. Plus, there are zillions of great careers that simply require graduates (from any degree). I know someone who did Biology and ended up in a £40k+ career in retail.

I know how you feel though! Sometimes I worry that my degree is a little pointless, but even though I probably won't end up applying the subject matter, I'll have improved my work ethic and time management skills, not to mention my intellect...
Reply 13
ogloom

Rude unhelpful and untrue!
Reply 14
if you're lucky you might get a job at mcdonalds. you'll get a low 2.2/third. psychology is a punani degree for punanis.
Reply 15
amii_G
Uh oh.

Spaghetti Os!

Anyone who did a decent Psychology degree knows its not mickey mouse. Mine was pretty rock solid, and brought in aspects of Biology, Neuroanatomy, Philosophy, Medicine, Nursing, Aetiology, Child Development, Widwifery, Homeopathy, Speech therapy and Lalopathology, Lexicology, Obstetrics, Nutrition, Ethnology, Health promotion, Paedeatrics, Education, Social Policy, Metaphysics, History, Social care, Ethology, Ergonomics, Business Studies, Anthropology, Sociology, AI Computing, English and Maths.

And it taught (or rather demanded) me how to write concisely, fluently and articulately, how to design and run my own experiments, how to research, collect data, how to argue, discuss and deliver my point, how to interview, to run study sessions, how to view alternative perspectives and how to understand myself and others. Not to mention dreaded STATS! Also.. Why not to take coke..

I've just finished my course and to be honest, it is a little daunting looking for a job, because there isn't a set path for psychologist. It's not like:
"Oh, im an engineering graduate, i'll just be an engineer",
or: "Im a happy little trainee lawyer"
or heaven forbid: "I'm guna cut you a new root canal".

In the last 2 months, Ive started off just basically looking for any job i can (to get the cash in), and im finding that its not going amazingly well. My pc's only just fixed at the moment, so i've just sent off my Cv to trainee/graduate schemes/assistant positions today, and i'll let you know how it goes.

I'm actually interested in psychology so ive applied for trainee therapy and counselling positions in the NHS and private health care.
But, theres tons of other stuff available to apply for.

- PGCE teaching courses for example.
-Social Care
- You could train to be a registered mental health nurse
-Go back to uni
- HR Management
- Marketing
-Headhunting
-Policy
-Forensics
-Child Devleopment/Speech therapy
-School Mentoring
-Criminal Law
-Consulting
-Animal therapy
-Research
- Clinical therapy
- Counselling
-Charity work.

The guy who called Psy a mickey mouse degree doesnt know what hes talking about. No1 has any right to badmouth any degree unless they have studied it themselves. Even then, they still don't..

(However, in a controversial effort to break that rule)..

I could personally see much more worth in employing a Psychology graduate then a History/English/Sociology/Anthropology/Geography/Art/Politics/Sociology/Business studies graduate.

And if we're looking at Chemists/Physicists/Lawyers/Economists/Engineers, there are limited positions that they could actually work in. What skills or experience would a Chemist have acquired from university, that i would need if i wasnt in Pharmaceuticals (lets say).
Reply 16
vcvc
boredyay
thanks for the repl. im not really interested in working with mental people tbh, can i still apply for non relevant graduate jobs? can i still get internships which are councelling related? what do forensic psyhologists even do?

http://www.bps.org.uk/careers/what-do-psychologists-do/areas/areas_home.cfm

Latest

Trending

Trending