The Student Room Group

Going on exchange ... ?

Hi.

I'm currently studying Accounting & Finance at Durham University, about to enter my second year in October.

I want to go on exchange in my third year (2010 - 2011), preferably working for the first half to fund studying abroad for the second half. There are two universities in the list of partners that stand out to me as appealing. In order of preference:

1 - University of British Columbia, Canada (Okanagan campus, Kelowna)
2 - Lund University, Sweden

I realise it will cost far more to go to Canada (since it is not linked with ERASMUS and involves flying to North America), and that UBC is very competitive, so realise my chances are limited there.

I am, however, very hopeful of getting a place at Lund.

The problem being, and the issue I want to get your perogative on today, is that I spent too much time not working last year, and scraped a pass with a mark of just 47% (third class) overall.

Will this seriously damage, or indeed perhaps ruin, my chances of getting to Lund? I've heard the ERASMUS scheme and agreements are pretty much open to anyone that wants them, regardless of the individual's situation. Obviously, this will not the case with UBC in Canada, but I do have doubts whether it will be the case with Lund.

Any thoughts, experiences or knowledge shared is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Scott.
Reply 1
I will be entering my third year in September, and have asked about going on exchange too. I was told that it is impractical for third years because the British system places a lot of emphasis on its final year for grading your degree, which means they struggle to 'carry over' the marks you attain at the partner institution.

ERASMUS and exchange programmes are generally aimed at second year students. Your grades should not matter as the programmes' aims are cultural rather than academic.

Latest

Trending

Trending