The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Modules confusion!

It might have been discussed a thousand times, but I still have some enquiries about how the modules system works in St Andrews. I guess I'm being a bit paranoid but I just want to not mess it all up!!

I'm doind MA International Relations starting this semptember and I have to make my module choices now. So, my confusion goes like this:

1.I need to take the required modules for my initial course, one for each semester and another one different module in each as long as it it a 20-credits one? For instance I could take along with the IR modules a 20-credits module in classics an danother one in modern history for the 1st semester and then take a differrent module in modern history for the 2nd semester and a module in french?

2.And what about the whole year modules? Could it be any module or a module of my initial course?? :eek3:

I 'd really appreciate any reply!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Elena*
It might have been discussed a thousand times, but I still have some enquiries about how the modules system works in St Andrews. I guess I'm being a bit paranoid but I just want to not mess it all up!!

I'm doind MA International Relations starting this semptember and I have to make my module choices now. So, my confusion goes like this:

1.I need to take the required modules for my initial course, one for each semester and another one different module in each as long as it it a 20-credits one? For instance I could take along with the IR modules a 20-credits module in classics an danother one in modern history for the 1st semester and then take a differrent module in modern history for the 2nd semester and a module in french?

2.And what about the whole year modules? Could it be any module or a module of my initial course?? :eek3:

I 'd really appreciate any reply!!

If you're studying IR then you'll need to take IR1005 in Semester 1 and IR1006 in Semester 2. Aside from that you'll usually need two take two other modules each semester to make up your 120 credits (60 credits a semester). You can pick from just about any module within the Faculty of Arts, provided you have any prerequisites for that module (specific A-Levels for example).

Whole year modules are generally for honours / post-grads so don't worry about those.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
1. For IR you have one compulsory module each semester. Therefore, you have 40 credits left each semester. (In first year, this will generally mean IR+2 others each semester as most, if not all, first year modules are 20 credits.) So yes, first semester you could do IR+Classics+History, PROVIDED you have any pre-requisites required and there are no timetable clashes. Your second semester choice of French might not work since as far as I know you will need to have done first semester French in order to do it in second semester.

2. As far as I know there are no whole-year modules available to first years.

I hope something in there made sense. :o:

EDIT: HUGE OMG murphyen! I know who you are after seeing your picture! :O
Reply 3
Dummm dummm durr! But do I know you? :P

Edit: Brian + Northern Ireland + Philosophy = Brian, Meg's friend from McIntosh. Am I right?
Murphyen

Edit: Brian + Northern Ireland + Philosophy = Brian, Meg's friend from McIntosh. Am I right?

I know neither of you, however... He has mentioned living in McIntosh this year!!

It's like a game of cluedo
Reply 5
Murphyen

:yes: Good work detective! :p:
Reply 6
Murphyen

I think I met you (albeit very very briefly)

Aren't you my girlfriend's academic brother?
Reply 7
Bucky!
I think I met you (albeit very very briefly)

Aren't you my girlfriend's academic brother?

Yeah :wink: - it's a small world. Say hi to Ally for me :smile:
Reply 8
I can't seem to find these 'specific requirements' people keep mentioning. I've gotten a place for Art History and Philosophy, and I plan on taking modules in International Relations. Besides requiring 37 points in the IB, is there anything else they want?
Reply 9
Ignatius
I can't seem to find these 'specific requirements' people keep mentioning. I've gotten a place for Art History and Philosophy, and I plan on taking modules in International Relations. Besides requiring 37 points in the IB, is there anything else they want?

delivery of the emerald owl before the next full moon.
Reply 10
You need at least 38 points in the IB to take IR as a third module.
Reply 11
Do your extra modules have to be in the same faculty you've been accepted to if there aren't any timetable clashes? I'm in the arts faculty, but I'd like to take a geoscience class; think I'd be allowed?
Reply 12
Thank you all so much!!!! I guess I was being a bit paranoid after all!

Anyone in IR to suggest the extra modules?? How about philosophy?
Reply 13
Im doing IR and Economics and Im going to take Spanish or Arabic as my third subject, but its most likely Spanish.
Imo a language is the perfect third subject for IR as the knowledge of more than one foreign language is extremely important for IR related jobs.
Reply 14
I got a 42 in IB; does that mean I'm free to choose any module I like provided I have the prerequisites (I'm an Economics entrant), i.e. is it so that had I only gotten 37 points, I would not be able to take IR?
Reply 15
You should be able to take any module in your faculty if there are enough places left. If you had only 37 points, then you wouldnt be allowed to take e.g. IR.
Reply 16
No, no, I got 41 in the I.B.

Are management modules available to students in the arts faculty?
Ignatius
No, no, I got 41 in the I.B.

Are management modules available to students in the arts faculty?

Yes, management is one of the subjects that counts as both an art and a science. Entrants to the management degree choose to do either MA Management or BSc Management and are admitted to the relevant faculty.
Reply 18
fg08
Im doing IR and Economics and Im going to take Spanish or Arabic as my third subject, but its most likely Spanish.
Imo a language is the perfect third subject for IR as the knowledge of more than one foreign language is extremely important for IR related jobs.

yeah i'd advise you not to take arabic as it requires far too much dedication and work to be a mere third subject.

and you might wanna think about just how much spanish you think you can learn in four modules for it to be relevant for any IR job.

i say chillax and pick something fun instead! :yes:
I'm going to jump in here and ask a few questions too :smile: I've been looking at the modules and things but I'm getting really confused as to what I need to take and how each continues in the second semester.

I'd like to do Geography (tis my degree) and some statistics in first year. Along with something else (maybe Geoscience if I don't come up with any other ideas). Can someone tell me what modules I'd need to take, and if that would work at all? Thanks for any help <3

Latest

Trending

Trending