The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Mr Ben
As some of you may have noticed, the DSU shop has gone and closed down, seemingly forever and ever and ever. I for one am very very upset about this, where am I going to get a Pick'N'Mix now!?!?! And lab books, I'm struggling to find anywhere to get one cheap online.

Anyway, I started this thread so we can all reminice about the amazing times we've had in that shop, like the time I... erm... bought something.

Also, does anybody have any more information on why its closed and whether there's going to be a replacement?

Same about the lab books.

Can't seem to find any like the ones they sold anywhere. Do you reckon we could just get away with using a notebook, I don't recall using the graph paper ever in labs.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 21
Edenr
I don't think I have any DSU contacts... :emo:

I'll sell you one reeeeeeeeeal cheap.
Reply 22
Eek! I was already looking forward to going there, and I'm not even in Durham yet!
Oh no...
Reply 23
I wonder if that means we get another room at Revolver....
Reply 24
it's so stupid, it just means that the DSU is an even bigger pile of useless concrete than before (although i might be the only person in the world who doesn't actually mind the building, i think it's funky). maybe they'll make the bar bigger. or maybe they have no idea what they're doing with it and it'll sit there as a useless space (more likely).
They could always give the space to a commercial shop, like a Tesco or something. I think another University done that a while back, let a supermarket chain run their shop (because the prices would be lower).
Reply 26
This sort of thing is happening at loads of unis which is a bit pants. When I started my undergrad degree in Swansea we had a SU shop selling stationary, doing photocopying, binding etc, a little 'corner shop' selling sandwiches, newspapers etc, a second hand book shop and a 'Spar' type shop selling all the normal things you'd expect to find in a Spar plus uni branded clothing. By the time i left only the 'Spar' type shop and the corner shop where still there. The 'Spar' did start selling stationary to compensate but it still wasn't what it used to be and the corner shop was little more than just another food outlet. The second hand book shop closed within just a few weeks of my first term and i tihnk that was only so they could sell off their stock, apparently they blamed, ebay/amazon and rising rent costs on the closure. I think shops like Tesco and other big supermarkets that are easy to get to are probably drawing away a lot of the business because the SU ran shops can't compete with their prices.
Reply 27
oh, this is a point. Dissertation binding was through the shop wasn't it? :erm:
Reply 28
There is a place on New Elvet opposite the Three Tuns called Pronta Print or something like that, they do binding, although I'm not sure they'll be as cheap.
Reply 29
Dissertation binding at Pronta Print is (was) about twice the price of the DSU. I think it's like £8 or something, more if you want it done right away. Meh =) I imagine you can get it done online as well.
Reply 30
I did mine myself at home, my brother has a spiral binding machine and I just used that so i got it done for free. I did splash out on some thicker paper than i normally use for printing stuff. Perhaps they'll drop their price or somewhere at the uni will start to offer this service, perhaps the library. It could be a good money making scheme, buy a spiral binding machine and start offering the service close the dissertation deadlines. I'm not sure if spiral binding is ok at Durham actually, I did my undergraduate degree in Swansea and my department suggested spiral.
Reply 31
Someone said they were still going to do the binding service even though the shop was gone. Not sure where they'll be doing it but I think it'll still be available. Also my JCR bought a binding machine so the students could do it for free (supposed to pay for the combs, like £1 each, but was never enforced) - maybe that will happen more instead?
Reply 32
This is such a tragedy! I can't believe it.

Surely they won't have no shop at all. I refuse to believe it. If I had known this was going to happen, I'd have bought an obscene amount of stationary before I left for the summer.
Reply 33
I'm glad that I bought my Durham branded teddy before it was too late!
Reply 34
pic'n'mix from the new tesco :ahee:

also, durham still have a shop online. Although they don't seem to be selling anything, so I dunno... :erm:
Reply 35
Aula
pic'n'mix from the new tesco :ahee:

also, durham still have a shop online. Although they don't seem to be selling anything, so I dunno... :erm:

They do? *goes to check the DSU website*

Seems like they updated the whole website, the shop wasn't working for a while. Maybe it'll work in october or something. It would be really strange if they didn't sell any university branded clothing anymore (though I know, I know, everyone only wears college stash anyway).
Reply 36
frederizia
(though I know, I know, everyone only wears college stash anyway).

And society.

And quite a few people get Durham hoodies at the beginning, and I still even sometimes wear mine... :colondollar:
Reply 37
Aula
And society.

And quite a few people get Durham hoodies at the beginning, and I still even sometimes wear mine... :colondollar:

I have one too, I bought it when I was there in May :yep:
Reply 38
End Of An Era.
Reply 39
Hill people - you're still catered for by the Howlands shop, which is actually closer than the DSU. Stationary and shiz is still there I think.

Latest