The Student Room Group

Norethisterone - Do the benefits outweigh the side effects?

Scroll to see replies

I personally had no problems & have used it twice. It worked when I wanted it to work and when it stopped, business began again as usual, no heaviness etc. No side-effects for me but then again it depends on the personal experience so your experience may be different. But for me, no problems, but then again I am a bit OCD on the in-flight exercises becasue I'm paranoid about not getting blood clots :biggrin: so if you do a lot of these to prevent them on the journey there and back I think you will be ok :biggrin:
Fist time i took these tablets they worked well and i felt fine. The second time was AWFUL. I had the worst cramps and couldn't stop throwing up all night. Never taking these tablets again!!!!
Reply 22
Try softcup, it can be a bit messy changing them but they do work :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by puznigma
Try softcup, it can be a bit messy changing them but they do work :smile:

I was going to suggest these, much easier to get the hang of than tampons :yes:

@OP: I took it a few years ago I was fine with it, but my next period was a bit odd (although Im not sure if this was due to taking norethisterone or just a coincidence).
Reply 24
Hi, I am taking these tablets and I have not had any side effects at all!! Has you say it depends on each person, everyone's different. I'm sure you will be fine.
Sue
Hi
I'm going to Africa next month on a volunteering holiday, and I was wondering if people recommend these?
I'm going there for 28 days. The Doctor said this shouldn't matter but everywhere else I've looked says that the pills only stop your period for up to two weeks.

Also, I'm trekking a mountain for the first week of the trip.

I've been told not to take them before I go as a practice run, so I'm just generally a bit worried about the side effects and how efficient they are in delaying your period.
Reply 26
How big are these pills? I suck at taking tablets, and if I have to take them 3 times a day...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
They're not that big :smile: As far as side effects go, my mum said it made me moodier but I think some of that was down to my brother winding me up constantly :tongue: I didn't find that my period was heavier when I stopped taking them either
Reply 28
I stopped taking them on monday. It is now saturday and I have woken up with terrible period pains and cramps (which I've never had before) and have started my period. I have heavy periods usually so in five days I have to start taking Norethisterone on Wednesday :/
Reply 29
It may cause bad side effects if you take it for long periods (haha get it? Periods?) of time. for instance I had to take for 16 days and I felt amazing on it but I feel like crap now that I'm off it and have really bad cramps. (typing this with a hot water bottle on)
I used northisterone because i was going on holiday and after i stopped using it 4 days later i was in severe pain. I felt really shakey in my legs (which ached) and had a cold sweat and had goosebumps on my arms, i never really get pain like that ever and i wouldn't really recommend northisterone as there is so many side effects! But as it seems its different for everyone .
I've taken Norethisterone on two separate occasions. After both times, I came on about a day or two after (like it says on the box) and my period was moderately heavier but I feel like this is understandable after delaying your period idk???
Reply 32
I took them for 17 days and came on 3 days after, I Got really bad period pains which I never get when I'm coming on also couldn't stop eating noticed I had put on weight, I all so noticed a week after I had stopped taking them I got milde migraine,itchy skin and 2 acne spots on my chin.
Reply 33
Honestly the whole time I was on them it was great, I was free and could swim and do whatever I wanted without worrying about my period. Taking the tablets also became normal just every meal (breakfast,lunch and dinner) I would take one. After coming off of them I did get cramps but they felt like normal period cramps, and I think it's worth it.
I've had a period since July the 12th we are now on the 18th August, its been absolutely horrendous so heavy and excruciating pain! Doctors keep fobbing me off and pretty much implying that I am being a drama queen!! My boyfriend rushed me to A&E last night as I was so ill and he couldn't bare to see me in pain any longer! The nurse I saw was like an angel sent down she was highly sympathetic and advised me she would get me in to see a gynaecologist. I go on holiday this Saturday 22nd August so she wants me to enjoy my holiday and has prescribed me with Norethisterone she's advised me to take it a day before I go on holiday so the Friday 21st, do you guy's think this is too near my holiday? Should I take it on the Thursday or even the Wednesday before going? Also I'm so so soooo worried about the pain which will follow with it! Can anyone recommend any painkillers or techniques which help them through the pain? PLEASE HELP :frown:
I took notethisterone for 2 weeks as I was due on my period the first week of my two week honeymoon. That was 4 weeks ago. 4 days after I stopped taking them I had the withdrawal bleed for 3 days. I was very ill when I stopped taking the tablets I seemed to suffer the side effects after stopping taking them. I was laid up for a week. But this last week I've had period pains and usual period symptoms every day but no period. I took a pregnancy test which was negative. How long did it take people to have a proper period after the initial withdrawal bleed after stopping notethisterone?
Original post by Anonymous
I used northisterone because i was going on holiday and after i stopped using it 4 days later i was in severe pain. I felt really shakey in my legs (which ached) and had a cold sweat and had goosebumps on my arms, i never really get pain like that ever and i wouldn't really recommend northisterone as there is so many side effects! But as it seems its different for everyone .

After your withdrawal bleed when did your next period come? I have had symptoms for a week but no bleeding. I just wondered if this was common.
Reply 37
Yes I would. They are excellent for preventing that awful bleed before your trip. I wouldn't normally take them but being 44, may periods are still regular but the flow varies and the last thing I wanted was embarrassing leaks whilst travelling. The worry would over shadow the holiday so these little miracle workers are the answer to all that. I had breast tenderness and slight breakthrough bleeding as a side effect, but it was minimal.
No reprisals when I stopped taking the tablets, just a normal bleed 2 days later. I got 2 trips out of one 9 day course - by taking one 5mg tablet every 12 hours, not the recommended 3. Would use them again, no doubt about that.
I have tried them this month as I am quite heavy for the first couple of days and I am in excruciating pain!! I would not recommend them
Reply 39
i also had the worst period pains after taking it and my period was a bit longer hopefully they wont continue like that

Quick Reply

Latest