The Student Room Group

10,000 clearing places only!!!!??

:mad: as the title suggests, the government has only funded for 10,000 clearing places, i think this is ridiculous as more than half of the students will end up with no place at uni.

Not only that, as Scottish students will get their results tomorrow, they will be the first ones to take those clearing places. Two weeks after, it's results day for england, by the time we search for those courses, there will be nothing left. 10,000 places it not alot, in actually fact, 10,000 could even make up the whole of scotland who are applying to university.:eek3:

whats your view on this?

Scroll to see replies

I think this is why people have insurance choices and try hard in their A levels...
Reply 2
Christ thats loads.

Nothing to worry about.
Reply 3
CS_Prodigy
:mad: as the title suggests, the government has only funded for 10,000 clearing places, i think this is ridiculous as more than half of the students will end up with no place at uni.

Not only that, as Scottish students will get their results tomorrow, they will be the first ones to take those clearing places. Two weeks after, it's results day for england, by the time we search for those courses, there will be nothing left. 10,000 places it not alot, in actually fact, 10,000 could even make up the whole of scotland who are applying to university.:eek3:

whats your view on this?

I thought there were 10,000 extra places.
Reply 4
Well tbh you are looking to get into your firm choice, otherwise why would you have picked it. You must be capable, and if a blip happens then you will have your insurance. Clearing is not like a get out of jail card, and the adults these days seem to think that A-levels are getting easier, so the government are clearly on the same wavelength and have reduced the number of places available.
Reply 5
Moral of the story... don't fudge up your up your exams so badly that you don't even make your insurance :P
Reply 6
wizz_kid

Yeah, that's right. This is a great thing ..no need for worry. :smile:
Reply 7
why remind me again, i just got it out of my head. i dont even know how clearing works.
wizz_kid

You are right!

And, by the way, they have talked about science ...
Reply 9
To be honest, I think the government is a bit messed up, fees raising to £7000 a year in 2013, then couple of year time, their planning on have "no fee" degrees
Reply 10
wizz_kid

those extra 10,000 places are only STEM courses, (science, technology, engineering and maths), if your looking for law, business, economics etc, your are going to find it hard to find a place at a well-recognized university, since that 9% increase in university applications are mostly in those type of subject areas.
Reply 11
CS_Prodigy

good. not everyone is cut out for university. if you dont get good enough grades for your main or insurance choice, you shouldnt get in.

/thread
Reply 12
CS_Prodigy
if your looking for law, business, economics etc, your are going to find it hard to find a place at a well-recognized university

You will always find it hard to get a place for a popular course at a popular university in clearing, because they will have filled almost all their spaces with students that meet their offers.

Mithra
Yeah man, I'd really have to mess up my exams to miss my insurance :moon:

Why did you put Imperial as your reserve, rather than something lower? :s-smilie:
Reply 13
CS_Prodigy
those extra 10,000 places are only STEM courses, (science, technology, engineering and maths), if your looking for law, business, economics etc, your are going to find it hard to find a place at a well-recognized university, since that 9% increase in university applications are mostly in those type of subject areas.

So it is extra places not the 10k clearing places you first said?

Like the second person said, don't suck at your A Levels.
Reply 14
CS_Prodigy

whats your view on this?

My view is that i Hope i havent messd up badl, and hopegully there will be a place on clearing, otherwise i will have no future and will have to ring my cousin for a job :frown:.
CS_Prodigy

Yes but the fact of the matter is that your original assertation was about as wrong as it's possible to get since (I think) the number of places in clearing are going up this year and are not, in fact, going to all be taken by those pesky Scots. Do your reading before you post a thread
Higgy90
good. not everyone is cut out for university. if you dont get good enough grades for your main or insurance choice, you shouldnt get in.

/thread

this is erroneous logic, surely someone very academic who just misses out on their AAA offers is more suited to university to someone makes their 150 UCAS points offer
Reply 17
BJack

Why did you put Imperial as your reserve, rather than something lower? :s-smilie:

i did as well...
Reply 18
I'm fairly sure that clearing doesn't start until A-level results come out so the Scottish students won't take all the places anyway. I might be wrong about that but I heard it from someone doing IB anyway.
Reply 19
I read in The Times that there are going to be less clearing places, and that the Government are going to fine Universities that accept more people than allocated for the courses. If it get's to the point that I'm searching aimlessly to find a place through clearing to a University I've never even been to, I'll be crying either way. So, why worry?!

Latest