The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
trev
I take breaks every one hour. My breaks are only 10 minutes long. That is why you see me on and off TSR all the time. Yeah, you could check threads but not make them, however, it's tempting to do that.

By the end of December, I guess you are not a newbie anymore, and you will start to be a normal member like us!

well i've run out of thread-starters i think.. why december? do you actually have a revision timetable?- would you recommend one?
Reply 21
Loopz
well i've run out of thread-starters i think.. why december? do you actually have a revision timetable?- would you recommend one?

Starting from december and onwards, you seem to settle in and you will not be like a newbie anymore.

I have a revision timetable. It helps me plan what topics/modules to study each day up to the exam. Therefore, I would keep on track of what I'm doing. Furthermore, it could help you study all the stuff efficiently instead of cramming it. I would recommend it.
Reply 22
trev
Starting from december and onwards, you seem to settle in and you will not be like a newbie anymore.

I have a revision timetable. It helps me plan what topics/modules to study each day up to the exam. Therefore, I would keep on track of what I'm doing. Furthermore, it could help you study all the stuff efficiently instead of cramming it. I would recommend it.

yea we've always been told to make one and obviously i had to rebel... i made one for easter but it was basically too full and unachievable so i never stuck to it.
Reply 23
Loopz
yea we've always been told to make one and obviously i had to rebel... i made one for easter but it was basically too full and unachievable so i never stuck to it.

I guess you could use your easter one, but change the dates and stuff around to fit it in half term.

Hope revision goes well today for you.
Reply 24
trev
If you really want a revision guide that follows the exam board for your subject, I guess you could look around book stores. I don't think they have revision guides for Salters OCR.

Loopz - when I did Salters Chemistry they most certainly did do revision guides especially for it. & one for each module, so I can't imagine they would have been discontinued?

anyway, they were brilliant! I used them for most of my final revision & got a high A.
Reply 25
Elles
Loopz - when I did Salters Chemistry they most certainly did do revision guides especially for it. & one for each module, so I can't imagine they would have been discontinued?

anyway, they were brilliant! I used them for most of my final revision & got a high A.

no i know they exist but they have to be ordered and i was thinking about this at easter but thought it was too late now, it probably wasn't but now it definitely is too late!!!!! Yep a friend of mine says they're really good, grrr

(keep the revision up trev!)
Reply 26
Loopz
you would...?? what would you do?- write what the revision guide says?
Pav27- how do you know you can get B's using revision guides? talking from experience?

Yep, did that for Chemistry and Biology mainly (about 90% revision guide for chemistry and 70-80% for Biology modulars in January)
Reply 27
Loopz
no i know they exist but they have to be ordered and i was thinking about this at easter but thought it was too late now, it probably wasn't but now it definitely is too late!!!!! Yep a friend of mine says they're really good, grrr

(keep the revision up trev!)

Thanks.

If you continue with Salters OCR chemistry onto A2, I guess you could but the revision guide ready. Look on Amazon and copy the book details, and give it to the bookshop owner, so they can order it for you.

By the way, when is your chemistry exam?

My school follows OCR for chemistry, but not Salters though. What is the difference by the way?
Reply 28
Like Trev said, if you carry Chemistry on to A2 definitely get the Salters revision guide. Its amazing. I would be totally lost without it since my teachers don't seem to teach us anything.

Its divided into sections for each module and then for each unit (eg. Steel Story etc) and at the start of each unit section, there's a little diagram telling you which Ideas and Storylines chapters are part of it. And it has a whole section on experimental techniques! Its my baby, and I wouldn't be without it. I only wish I'd discovered the AS one before my AS exams.

Oh, and its a total bargain. I think its around £7.00 or something :smile:
Reply 29
I found a link for you so you don't need to find it (it's A2 Salters chemistry revision guide). I posted the link for you incase you want to carry on with A2 chemistry. http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0435583476/qid%3D1117463645/sr%3D1-4/ref%3Dsr%5F1%5F9%5F4/026-2662874-5766018
Reply 30
Salters is a more industrial, practical course- eg. we have to learn the delights of how bromine is extracted. It is made up of 'Storylines' and 'Chemical Ideas' text books and for each module (6?) you get a pack of investigations that you should do and write up in lessons/homework. (impossible to revise from that stuff). Also in AS and A2 there is a coursework module worth 30%, which is a plus, we don't just get one assessed practical like some courses, we can redo things lots. But in A2 apparently we each have to do a really long investigation each.
The teachers love it because, they're given all the answers to everything and can just set loads of stuff to do, of which they have the answers for.

My chemsitry exam is wednesday 8th June.

I have no idea what i got in my coursework, half of it is marked externally and the other half .. who knows what i got..
Reply 31
Loopz
Salters is a more industrial, practical course- eg. we have to learn the delights of how bromine is extracted. It is made up of 'Storylines' and 'Chemical Ideas' text books and for each module (6?) you get a pack of investigations that you should do and write up in lessons/homework. (impossible to revise from that stuff). Also in AS and A2 there is a coursework module worth 30%, which is a plus, we don't just get one assessed practical like some courses, we can redo things lots. But in A2 apparently we each have to do a really long investigation each.
The teachers love it because, they're given all the answers to everything and can just set loads of stuff to do, of which they have the answers for.

My chemsitry exam is wednesday 8th June.

I have no idea what i got in my coursework, half of it is marked externally and the other half .. who knows what i got..

I see. My school follows the normal OCR chemistry spec. I think it's a balance of theoretical and practical stuff. I also heard of Nuffield chemistry too which is run by the Edexcel exam board. Some subjects seem to have Salters or Nuffield besides some subjects (e.g. Nuffield Business studies/Economics).

I guess chemistry in an industrial and practical form is better in some way though, as the stuff you described above is quite interesting.
Reply 32
I thought it would be interesting, but I've actually found it incredibly boring apart from the modules on What's in a Medicine and Medicines by Design. But that's probably because chemistry was badly taught at my school and some parts of the medicine modules related to parts of biology which I did enjoy.
Reply 33
amie
I thought it would be interesting, but I've actually found it incredibly boring apart from the modules on What's in a Medicine and Medicines by Design. But that's probably because chemistry was badly taught at my school and some parts of the medicine modules related to parts of biology which I did enjoy.

i find boring!! I guess it's good we have less theoretical stuff, but learning how copper and bromine are extracted atm is such a bore and pretty useless. We had appalling teachers but one left at easter, wohooo, so we have a new one, but he obviously expects us to know everything.. and we don't.
Reply 34
I wish one of our teachers would leave. Or maybe both of them. It won't help me now, but at least future generations will be safe from their crappy teaching! The copper and bromine stuff sucked :frown:
Depends on the subject. For some the guides are useless, but I do use guides if possible, as I prefer to use guides, not notes. Along with the syllabus, of course. :smile:
Reply 36
No Future
Depends on the subject. For some the guides are useless, but I do if possible I prefer to use guides, not notes. Along with the syllabus.

Agreed, physics revision guides are pants.
Reply 37
For people who want to purchase revision guides, it's better to buy one specifically to the exam board. Therefore, you don't have to search through the whole book to see which topic relates to the exam board you are doing. You can look in Amazon and they will have loads of books related to the exam board. It's better to buy them in the bookshop (copy down the book details from amazon).
Reply 38
It's better to buy them in the bookshop (copy down the book details from amazon).

What's wrong with ordering things from amazon? Most of the book shops where I live don't stock what I want.
Reply 39
Gaz031
What's wrong with ordering things from amazon? Most of the book shops where I live don't stock what I want.

Nothing is wrong. I just find things cheaper in the bookshop than amazon. :redface:

Latest

Trending

Trending