The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

:facepalm:
I've never watched House. Only Holby/Scrubs which is incredibly unrealistic.
Reply 2
I'd say ER probably had a much greater impact than House. But then again, medicine's always been competitive so overall I doubt it makes much of a difference.

And yes, anyone who wants a job because it looks pretty on TV is stupid, or at least seriously deluded. Very few would probably get through the process though. Getting into medicine is so competitive with so much work experience needed, it would probably ween out a lot of the people who think it's all like the TV.
Reply 3
I did Business because of dragons Den :awesome:
Reply 4
Scrubs is the only show which makes a career in medicine look fun..but yeah I doubt anyone who does medicine does it because of a tv show!
yeh thats absurd.

They should do it because they want to be like Jack from Lost
Reply 6
No, they do it because of Scrubs.
Reply 7
Explained properly it can get you in at least 3 medical schools.
Reply 8
Lots of people seem to think so but I don't think the majority do choose medicine simply because they want to be like the doctors on these programmes. I've never watched house, scrubs or ER for one and though many people do go into medicine for the wrong reasons I think most people nowadays do do the right research and the reason why it's so popular is because it is a great career.
Reply 9
I hate house with a passion

Holby city on the other hand :adore::adore:

Though I'm hating that registrar that looks like an alien at the moment - the one who's always horrible to the F1s and has a boy's name
I doubt it tbh. It's not exactly the most realistic show in the world...

But I suppose if people watch House, then get interested in medicine, then realise they actually want to do the real thing, that's all good, isn't it?
halfoflessthan50p
yeh thats absurd.

lol this.
Reply 12
my bets are on tsr> house.
maybe (there was a thread like this, and i think OP aspired to be house)....but then once you do proper work experience, you know thats its nothing like that...

of course the minute your a prospective medic and you say you like house...you get chastised like fire... :s-smilie:
No.
halfoflessthan50p

That was my motivation. :yy:

Although I was rather interested in becoming a conman for a time, but Connexions told me there was no real job security. :sad:
i actually LOVE house,
i found it really interesting, and enjoyable to watch, but it did not inspire me to choose to become a medic (still a prospective here with the whole angst thing going on hahahaa)

i love how the writers have stolen a case study from "the man who mistook his wife for a hat" and created a subplot around it ;D great episode
nympho granny with neurosyphillis ftw
That's like asking whether people want to go into police force because of the bill, or crime scene investigations from things like CSI New york haha.
Reply 18
House, no.
Grey's Anatomy, yes :p:

No not really, I'm just quite cheery today, becuase I got my exam results. :yes:
reems23
Explained properly it can get you in at least 3 medical schools.

Which 3? I know Bath is one of them, but the other two?

Latest