The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I dont think the nhs is willing to pay people to sit arond and mock each other. And do like 5 mins of work.
Reply 41
I think a lot of people join the army because of action movies.

Although probably not if they've seen the film Jarhead lol
hey ewan what anime(movie???) is your signature from?
House MD
See, I became a doctor because of the movie 'Patch Adams'.
:yes:
Reply 44
well if you do, i wouldn't mention it on your personal statement...
Reply 45
No, id say scrubs makes more people want to go into medicine
Well duh! My choice to study politics at uni was all thanks to Yes, Minister.
I can't stand House!
!MEna
I can't stand House!

You have to love Hugh Laurie though :p:
Reply 49
Toiletpaper8

Ditto, the man is Stuart Little's dad, he's a legend ! :p:
House is genius. That is all I have to say on the matter really :biggrin:
Reply 51
Grey's Anatomy, wew =3

But no.

I want to be in the police like Sam Tyler from Life on Mars. Then I can meet Gene Hunt :biggrin:
Reply 52
Rofl if they want to be like the doctors from tv they should get into acting instead :P
KSP
House is the best show on tv imo. Actually made me regret not considering doing medicine

Surely it would have just made you regret not being an actor? :erm:

Toiletpaper8

I was watching Spooks the other day and he cropped up in that. :h: The man is awesome.

KumakoXsd
It is FAR from what the TV shows show..

If they put that in their application form.

They'll just be rejected.

Well I know somebody who put it in their PS and got an interview at Imperial. But I guess knowledge is only optional when you make sweeping, know-it-all statements like that.

Because why consider the automatic shortlisting options, such as scoring a certain amount on an aptitude test would mean that you would be guaranteed an interview and not just get rejected, when you can just pretend to know something about admissions instead.

If you want to study medicine I suggest thorough research for anyone.

Maybe take your own advice?
Reply 54
i do love the way ughie Laurie went from being the laughing stock of british talent (a bit of fry and laurie, 101 dalmations) in the 90s to God personified on the basis of 'ouse.

goes to show, all you need is the right show to mek it good.
Gizmo!
i do love the way ughie Laurie went from being the laughing stock of british talent (a bit of fry and laurie, 101 dalmations) in the 90s to God personified on the basis of 'ouse.

I'd hardly say shows like Blackadder, Jeeves and Wooster, Fry and Laurie etc. made him a laughing stock, per se.

But yeah, it is rather amazing the serious career he now has. :p:
Gizmo!

Hey Gizmo! I see you've jumped ship and come to tsr, dont you like nmm any more? :wink:
Reply 57
ahh, dances wif lameposts! wat a nice suprise! :smile:

i was bored wf the colour scheme, macca. :frown:
jonnyofengland
Surely it would have just made you regret not being an actor? :erm:

I was watching Spooks the other day and he cropped up in that. :h: The man is awesome.

Well I know somebody who put it in their PS and got an interview at Imperial. But I guess knowledge is only optional when you make sweeping, know-it-all statements like that.

Because why consider the automatic shortlisting options, such as scoring a certain amount on an aptitude test would mean that you would be guaranteed an interview and not just get rejected, when you can just pretend to know something about admissions instead.

Maybe take your own advice?

I appreciate your concern! But I wasn't talking about universities which base interviews on tests.. I was mainly talking about Birmingham University, who base getting interviews on personal statement as well as grades.

I have done my research and thoroughly investigated how to increase my chances of getting to medschool.

I researched the medschool of my interest and contacted the admissions tutors as well about a number of issues.
I'm not looking to apply to Imperial.

But it's true, they'll generally be rejected.. (I had an admissions tutor come into disuse personal statements in my school). TV programs as such are just not representative of everyday work in hospitals or GP surgery in the UK.

I don't see why I had to do my research about personal statement, especially when it comes to putting Grey's Anatomy or Casualty on my application form; my passion doesn't stem from that at all. Therefore what you said counts as invalid to me.

But feel free to discuss those things on your application form and just that. Come back in a few months and lets compare our offers. By the way my 'advice' wasn't directed to anyone in particular.. That didn't even cross my mind. But if you felt like I said that to you then I apologise for offending you.. Maybe.

Take care =D
KumakoXsd
I appreciate your concern! But I wasn't talking about universities which base interviews on tests.. I was mainly talking about Birmingham University, who base getting interviews on personal statement as well as grades.

I have done my research and thoroughly investigated how to increase my chances of getting to medschool.

I researched the medschool of my interest and contacted the admissions tutors as well about a number of issues.
I'm not looking to apply to Imperial.

But it's true, they'll generally be rejected.. (I had an admissions tutor come into disuse personal statements in my school). TV programs as such are just not representative of everyday work in hospitals or GP surgery in the UK.

I don't see why I had to do my research about personal statement, especially when it comes to putting Grey's Anatomy or Casualty on my application form; my passion doesn't stem from that at all. Therefore what you said counts as invalid to me.

What a load of rubbish. You weren't talking about any one Uni in particular, you were just making a statement (And that's regardless of the fact that you probably could include a line about a TV show in your PS and so long as you have loads of A*s Birmingham will still probably give you an interview).

As for not researching other Universities, well that's just fine. But you can't then go around making blanket statements, as you simply don't know that.

Come back in a few months and lets compare our offers.

In all of your patronising reply I found this line the most perplexing.

Are you implying that only people who get in have worthwhile things to say? Or that offers should be used as some form of ego-rubbing tool? Or that the person with more offers is somehow better?

It's a pretty pathetic thing to say, all told. How I fared in admissions bears no impact on how much credibility my views should have.

So if you just want to get in a dick-measuring contest, take it elsewhere.

Latest

Trending

Trending