The Student Room Group

Nursing 2010 applicants

What bracnch are people applying for and with what Subjects at A and AS level, grades and any experience?

I am hopefully applying for Child, with expected grades of:
A - level
Philosophy - Got C - tho i think there is an error as a piece which my teacher gave an A got an E - any way, going to remark and expect a B)
Biology - B
Chemistry - C
AS - Level
Health and Social Care Single - A/B
History - A/B
Physics - D
Key skills (though i don't really count it) - Pass
General Studies - no idea

Have worked as a volunteer playworker at a Childrens special needs charity for over a year,
Spent 3 days in a Nursing home for the elderly many of whom had mental health issues,
Acted as a Peer performance coach and mentor for younger pupils during year 12,
And during my GCSE period spent just under 2 weeks as a nursery/classroom assistant

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
abridgewater
What bracnch are people applying for and with what Subjects at A and AS level, grades and any experience?

A - level
Philosophy - A
Biology - A/B
Chemistry - B/C
AS - Level
Health and Social Care Single - A
Physics - E/D

Have worked as a volunteer playworker at a Childrens special needs charity for over a year,
Spent 3 days in a Nursing home for the elderly many of whom had mental health issues,
And during my GCSE period spent just under 2 weeks as a nursery/classroom assistant

Sounds like you've got plenty of experience :smile: where are you applying?
Reply 2
my favaroute is birmingham, along with cardiff, nottingham, keale and leeds. though i have yet to view keale and leeds
abridgewater

A - level
Philosophy - A
Biology - A/B
Chemistry - B/C
AS - Level
Health and Social Care Single - A
Physics - E/D

wow i dont see a problem with you geting in with all that experience and qualifications abridgewater.:yes:
Me i am going to apply for the mental health branch programme

I dont have any A levels as such abridgewater but what i do have is Access Cert in Science which is equivalent to 2 and half A levels.I obtained a Pass as it wasnt graded as such when i did it however i was getting arount about 84% in most of my science subjects like Physics,Biology and Chemistry.
I also have a University sub degree in Sociology
and a few years experience as a care assistant in a nursing home, and a few years working in a Voluntarty capacity for Age Concern etc.I also have other academic qualifications as well.:cool:
Reply 4
Hello,

I am applying for Child Branch :smile: I am 21 so will be a mature student and I'm currently on an Access course which includes Sociology, Biology and Psychology and I have 6 months nursery experience and four months camp experience. It isn't much but I'm not too worried :smile:
Reply 5
Tilie
Hello,

I am applying for Child Branch :smile: I am 21 so will be a mature student and I'm currently on an Access course which includes Sociology, Biology and Psychology and I have 6 months nursery experience and four months camp experience. It isn't much but I'm not too worried :smile:

I don;t think 21 counts as a mature student! You're the age that a large amount of people start uni :smile:
Reply 6
smilee172
I don;t think 21 counts as a mature student! You're the age that a large amount of people start uni :smile:

Haha well I definitely feel like one at college with all the 16 to 18 year olds walking around. There is a huge variety of ages on my access course though which is great and I am guessing it will be the same at uni.
Reply 7
Tilie
Haha well I definitely feel like one at college with all the 16 to 18 year olds walking around. There is a huge variety of ages on my access course though which is great and I am guessing it will be the same at uni.

the 2nd youngest person on my course was 21, the ages ranged right up to late 50s so you are no way mature :smile: I think mature is 26 technically.
Reply 8
smilee172
the 2nd youngest person on my course was 21, the ages ranged right up to late 50s so you are no way mature :smile: I think mature is 26 technically.

Depends on the definition. University in general does use 21+ (not convinced I agree :o: ) - it was moved from 25 a few years ago.

For the NHS bursary, they used to have an age-related allowance, but it looks like it's been scrapped.
Reply 9
Age can be pretty irrelavant on a nursing course anyway. Ive only met a few more people who are around my age doing it at my uni so far.
Becky_90
Age can be pretty irrelavant on a nursing course anyway. Ive only met a few more people who are around my age doing it at my uni so far.

Yeh nursing is completely irrelevant where nursing is concerned.... although I've met many patients who use age to define whether a nurse is good or not and that really winds me up. 'I want that nurse, she's older, she'll be better'
smilee172

smilee172 i was told that a mature student is anyone classed as being over the age of 25 years of age.So me being the grand old age of 39 when i hopefully start next year is defiantely mature :yes:
ZakBrannigan
smilee172 i was told that a mature student is anyone classed as being over the age of 25 years of age.So me being the grand old age of 39 when i hopefully start next year is defiantely mature :yes:

yeh, that's what i thought. so yes you qualify :smile:
Reply 13
I don't think it really matters but for the record as far as most Universities, Colleges etc are concerned a mature student IS 21+ :-)
Reply 14
I'll be applying to Northumbria to start September 2010.

I will be 24 by then so i'll fall into the mature catagory. Just hoping that I have enough qualifications to make it onto the course. Its what I really want to do however depends on who else is applying. Are the majority of Nursing applicants successful? or do some get turned away due to high numbers?
Reply 15
Paul2k12
I'll be applying to Northumbria to start September 2010.

I will be 24 by then so i'll fall into the mature catagory. Just hoping that I have enough qualifications to make it onto the course. Its what I really want to do however depends on who else is applying. Are the majority of Nursing applicants successful? or do some get turned away due to high numbers?

i think child nursing at cardiff is something stupid like 6%. others ive seen are like 16%, 24%, saw one 62% success. cant remember which uni is for which figure tho
Reply 16
Oh so it looks like i'll have to brace myself for not getting a place!
Paul2k12

Oh dont put yourself down! If you have the requirements, and ambition you can do it, this is a much better webiste for nurses etc, may help clarify entry requirements etc and has much more mature students than on here: www.studentnurse.org.uk, has a wicked forum on there :yes:
Reply 18
Paul2k12

I agree, don't let it dishearten you. I do worry about it alot too, especially when I read all the experience other applicants have but I've heard that it is all about the interview. If they like your Personal statement and you can shine through at the interview, you may just be one of the lucky ones. After all, some of us have to get through!
Reply 19
Cup of Inspiration
www.studentnurse.org.uk, has a wicked forum on there :yes:

Im over there aswell, are you a member?

Quick Reply

Latest