The Student Room Group

importance of MSc classification?

hi everyone,just joined this is my first post.anyways im currently doing an MSc but basically i screwed up one of my exams,and it will be difficult to now get a "commendation" and will probably end up with just a pass.How big a deal is classification of a masters compared to undergraduate?i know the difference between a 2:2 and a 2:1 is massive in undergraduate,but considering ive already gotta 2:1 MEng will only getting a pass at MSc put me at a big disadvantage if i want to get a job relating to it?im pretty sure i'll get a decent reference from my supervisor but am still a bit angry with myself for my exam results.

cheers

mick
Reply 1
If it's important on an academic level, they tend to ask for transcripts so they can see module marks.

I don't know what a commendation counts for, but some unis only do pass/distinction for MSc, and distinction can be tough to gain (e.g. average of 70 for taught modules, plus 70 for dissertation).
mick8628
hi everyone,just joined this is my first post.anyways im currently doing an MSc but basically i screwed up one of my exams,and it will be difficult to now get a "commendation" and will probably end up with just a pass.How big a deal is classification of a masters compared to undergraduate?i know the difference between a 2:2 and a 2:1 is massive in undergraduate,but considering ive already gotta 2:1 MEng will only getting a pass at MSc put me at a big disadvantage if i want to get a job relating to it?im pretty sure i'll get a decent reference from my supervisor but am still a bit angry with myself for my exam results.

cheers

mick

Because they'll see your transcript you might be able to show them how it was just one exam that caused you to do worse than you wanted. You can turn it around then and point at the modules you did do very well in (especially when they're relevant to what you're applying for).

Latest

Trending

Trending